Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #1
gollygirl1

Drives: YR Yaris 2013
fabric seat protection

After taking delivery of my new Toyota and paying for tinting and paint protection, I could not quite stretch to the Toyota fabric protection as well. I would like to put something on the seat though- and not seat covers - I know there used to be a product called Scotch Guard - what have you guys used?
Any suggestions?

And did any member take the option of electronic rust guard?

Just curious......
gollygirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Electronic rust guard is a new one on me I must confess.

Generally speaking cars are so well made today rustproofing isnt required. However if you lived in a area where rusting WAS a problem (tropical? oceanside? salt on the road?) you would probably know well ahead of time to get something done as the locals do.

In general for all things optional (extended warranty, fabric protection, rust proofing etc etc) these are just ways for the dealer to make more money. If the car had problems with these things I wouldnt buy it in the first place.

I guess if one lived in a sunny clime I could see tinting.

You have made a extremely wise choice in a Toyota Yaris. The most cost effective, well made, reliable, practical car I can think of!

Your ass is covered!
Old 08-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #3
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
these are just ways for the dealer to make more money. If the car had problems with these things I wouldnt buy it in the first place.
! Both of these... x10.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #4
gollygirl1

Thanks guys - I wondered as I have a couple of teeny paint chips - a bit disappointed in that. Might just stop worrying and more enjoying then.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #5
bronsin

As I understand it the "environmentally responsible" paint manufactureres now use is prone to scratching and chipping. My own 2009 Black Sand Pearl 3 door Yaris came fom the dealer with scratches on the area under the drivers door handle.

I tend to accept such things as not being worth making a fuss over. I imagine the scratches would only reappear in short order.

I will say the front of the car is remarkable free of chips and scratches despite being covered with dead bugs on a trip around the country in 2010 and a there and back drive from NJ to Alaska in 2011. I had to use a doobie dish pad to get them off. I did it twice even!

I may be easy to please about such things however.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:39 AM   #6
gollygirl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
As I understand it the "environmentally responsible" paint manufactureres now use is prone to scratching and chipping. My own 2009 Black Sand Pearl 3 door Yaris came fom the dealer with scratches on the area under the drivers door handle.

I tend to accept such things as not being worth making a fuss over. I imagine the scratches would only reappear in short order.

I will say the front of the car is remarkable free of chips and scratches despite being covered with dead bugs on a trip around the country in 2010 and a there and back drive from NJ to Alaska in 2011. I had to use a doobie dish pad to get them off. I did it twice even!

I may be easy to please about such things however.
Thank you for helping me to calm down and try to be more balanced over this - I have been obsessing for days
Old 08-04-2013, 07:14 AM   #7
bronsin

You made a great choice for a car that will serve you well!

You can learn a lot about your car here on the list so stick around and when you have a question just ask!
Old 08-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #8
Geoff Peace

Drives: Yaris 1.33 litre 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygirl1 View Post
Thanks guys - I wondered as I have a couple of teeny paint chips - a bit disappointed in that. Might just stop worrying and more enjoying then.
To disguise the paint chips buy a waterproof lipstick of the same colour and smear it into the chips, then polish off. Much neater than touch up paint.
Regards Geoff Peace.
Geoff Peace is offline   Reply With Quote