Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-06-2015, 09:48 PM   #1
MJZ

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3 Door Manual
Hatch popper / Auto lift

I am in the process of working on getting the hatch to auto open for my '08 Hatchback Base (power nothing).

After watching what the 101lb struts do to the rear hatch, I opted for some 90lb, the next step was to find something to use to push the hatch out enough for the struts to take over and do their job. There are powered options, but I'm going to be attempting to use some good old mechanical, spring loaded "door poppers", AutoLoc DP2500 to be specific.

This way once I get the actuator installed for the alarm / door unlocks put in I won't need to worry about locking and unlocking the rear hatch, since the clasp assembly will move even if the hatch lock is locked, requiring nothing more than an actuator to flip the clasp.

The trick is going to be in finding where to mount the poppers so that they A) have the proper clearance and B) are the most effective.
MJZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:49 AM   #2
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
go old school VW style, stick springs in that have teh same diameter as the large end of the shock.
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:15 AM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Take a look on my DIY for it: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39677

I initially used door poppers that are a U shaped piece of spring steel and mounted them at the top hinges. They worked very well for a few months and then lost their spring back. I tried the spring on the strut method than enviri mentioned, but that was difficult to find the right spring for the job. I am now using some trunk poppers made for a Corvette, which I mounted where the large rubber bumpers are on the hatch itself.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:12 AM   #4
MJZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Take a look on my DIY for it: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39677

I initially used door poppers that are a U shaped piece of spring steel and mounted them at the top hinges. They worked very well for a few months and then lost their spring back. I tried the spring on the strut method than enviri mentioned, but that was difficult to find the right spring for the job. I am now using some trunk poppers made for a Corvette, which I mounted where the large rubber bumpers are on the hatch itself.
Scott, I'm being a little derpy, can you post photos of where the current popper is? I seem to be seeing the term "popper" being used interchangeably with "actuator". I saw where you had the u-bend springs mounted at the top of the hatch opening, but I'm not seeing where you have the current corvette door popper.

I was thinking about replacing the bump stops with the mechanical poppers if there is enough clearance, so that once the catch disengages the poppers push the hatch out far enough for the 2 90lb struts to take over.

Really do appreciate all the assistance!
Old 03-07-2015, 11:17 AM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

I will have to snap some pics. Popper is the correct term. The ones you are looking at require you to drill a hole and mount them where there is enough depth. The ones I am plaing with are surface mount, so you need space between two surfaces for them to compress. The current hatch bumpers are almost 1" high, so that is a good amount of compression space.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:31 PM   #6
MJZ

Got the 90lb struts in today and they work great! A bit harder to close, but that was expected. I'm curious if some light duty hinge springs mounted to the hatches hinges would provide enough push out to allow the struts to take over....
Old 03-10-2015, 07:17 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJZ View Post
Got the 90lb struts in today and they work great! A bit harder to close, but that was expected. I'm curious if some light duty hinge springs mounted to the hatches hinges would provide enough push out to allow the struts to take over....
They would if you can find the right way to mount them. That is where I had the original ones that I used. Torsion springs would have been better than the spring steel things that I had, but I could find a good way to mount them.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:58 AM   #8
MJZ

Quote:
They would if you can find the right way to mount them. That is where I had the original ones that I used. Torsion springs would have been better than the spring steel things that I had, but I could find a good way to mount them.
wouldn't putting the torsion spring on the hatch hinge work??
Old 03-11-2015, 08:09 AM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Yes. But, how to do so is the question. The pivot pin is no removable, so how do you get it in there?
Old 03-11-2015, 08:18 AM   #10
MJZ

Quote:
Yes. But, how to do so is the question. The pivot pin is no removable, so how do you get it in there?
I'll look over the pin, I could have swore it was 2 parts with a c clip holding them together. The other options (which might mar the paint) would be to wind it on, but that could get "interesting"...

** I gottcha, what I was thinking was a c-clip holding the 2 parts of the pin into each other are the washers, only looked at it quickly yesterday.

Last edited by MJZ; 03-11-2015 at 08:22 AM. Reason: correction
Old 03-11-2015, 09:10 AM   #11
MJZ

I think what would solve everything is a set of these

push off "popper" bump stops
Old 03-11-2015, 06:49 PM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE

It depends on how much travel they have. Does ECS list any specs on them?
Old 03-16-2015, 07:48 AM   #13
MJZ

Went and did some research on those pushoff bumpers, they are not pushoffs, just adjustable. Scott, do you have a part number for the rubber stops on the hatch? I wonder if wonder if modifing one of the standard spring "poppers/pushoffs" to use the stock rubber stops would work. My yaris is still in the shop (someone backed into it AS I was buying it) so I'm just spinning gears at this point.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:11 PM   #14
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJZ View Post
Went and did some research on those pushoff bumpers, they are not pushoffs, just adjustable. Scott, do you have a part number for the rubber stops on the hatch? I wonder if wonder if modifing one of the standard spring "poppers/pushoffs" to use the stock rubber stops would work. My yaris is still in the shop (someone backed into it AS I was buying it) so I'm just spinning gears at this point.
The Yaris rubber stops are 90541-09125