Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-11-2015, 01:00 PM   #1
Confectious

Drives: T1
Skew Steering wheel

So i've just got me yaris t1 2door,problem im having is that the steering wheel its self is skew (tilted vertically), so when im taking a turn my knuckles keep on hitting the wipers and indicators. Before i bought the car i never bothered to check the hooter=(horn), now i noticed that the cover where the airbag is on, is to far down keeping the hooter pressed in and i checked the fuse which was not there. i have removed the steering wheel tried to pull the cover a bit to the front but then the screw holes does not line up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (71.3 KB, 196 views)

Last edited by Confectious; 05-11-2015 at 01:32 PM.
Confectious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 02:44 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Is it possible that this vehicle had been in an accident resulting in an airbag deploy? Hard to tell much from your picture, but I'm wondering if the wheel has been replaced, but with an incorrect one. The gaps between the wheel and the steering column do not look right and the indicator stalk should not sit that close to the rim of the wheel.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:36 PM   #3
Confectious

i do think that it has been in an accident where the airbag popped and the steering has been replaced incorrectly(still hoping it hasn't). the lever on the steering coloumn only adjusts up and down. adjusting the tie rod ends, would that help tilt the steering wheel if it is the correct steering wheel?
Old 05-11-2015, 08:16 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Post a picture looking straight at the wheel. Something is definitely way off, as most other toyota steering wheels will mount and sit correctly.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:44 AM   #5
Confectious

will send tonight when i get home
Old 05-12-2015, 01:08 PM   #6
Confectious

as requested
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Captur2e.JPG (147.0 KB, 102 views)
Old 05-12-2015, 08:23 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
That's definitely a Yaris wheel. I would pull the airbag (disconnect battery and then remove it by loosening the two Torx T27 bolts on the sides of the steering wheel). and see if it is somehow on the spline incorrectly.

You could also first remove the steering column cover (two screws behind the steering wheel and one by the tilt lever) to see what you can see from there.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:47 PM   #8
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
I would guess your steering wheel is bent. They are fairly malleable, so it's not uncommon for them to be bent after a crash. If you look at it from the side (like in your first pic) and turn it, does it appear to wobble?

I can't think of what else would bend in the column that would cause these issues.
Cheers.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 01:23 AM   #9
Confectious

The steering doesn't wobble its just tilted a bit. Thanks guys i will remove the steering probably tonight depending on the time i get home from work or will do it over the weekend and will update.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:39 AM   #10
Confectious

Solved!!! Or should I say problem found... I removed the steering wheel and cover beneath.. column was all good and straight, put the steering wheel on
the kitchen table flat and could definitely notice that the one side of the steering was buckled. Managed to use a pvc washer as a spacer which fits perfect in the meantime, no more knuckles knocking the wipers and indicators :) woohoo. Will have to get a new steering in a couple of days.just a note my hooter was also being pressed in coz of this problem but managed to fix it also by slitting the holes where the splines of the steering is with a drill bit. After having the battery disabled for so long I gained an extra bar of petrol ¿
Old 05-16-2015, 12:40 PM   #11
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Well that is about the easiest fix you were going to find so that's good. Steering wheels are actually designed to be pretty soft so when in a crash they deform. If the pvc washer is behind the steering wheel and squeezed by the steering-wheel-nut, keep an eye on how tight the nuts stays. Plastics "cold-creep" and will cause the steering wheel nut to loose tension.
Cheers.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 02:14 PM   #12
Confectious

thanks Cory, i wanted to bend the wheel self at first but thought i might brake it, i do not plan on using this as a permanent solution.will hunt on Monday for a wheel. just happy it wasn't the steering column, i left all the tools in the car for just incase (G).