Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-01-2011, 02:37 PM   #19
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Our '08 sedan has been clunking at times for over a year now . We made and took a copy of the TSB for CANADA to a service center and showed the service manager . We told him of the noise and we're concerned only to get a rude reply of " That's for CANADA not here and there's no need to take a look at it " ! This was the same service department that did the head cylinder gasket replacement . Sounds like TOYOTA is trying to take the cheap route by only doing a T.S.B. and not a RECALL . Most likely would cost them a bundle for the repairs and rather lay it on the consumer and the elements of nature . Not shocked , since the issue we went through with TOYOTA corporation about the head cylinder gasket issues of the '08 we still have and the 2010 3 door we no longer own .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:24 PM   #20
johnny_vitz

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
Our '08 sedan has been clunking at times for over a year now . We made and took a copy of the TSB for CANADA to a service center and showed the service manager . We told him of the noise and we're concerned only to get a rude reply of " That's for CANADA not here and there's no need to take a look at it " ! This was the same service department that did the head cylinder gasket replacement . Sounds like TOYOTA is trying to take the cheap route by only doing a T.S.B. and not a RECALL . Most likely would cost them a bundle for the repairs and rather lay it on the consumer and the elements of nature . Not shocked , since the issue we went through with TOYOTA corporation about the head cylinder gasket issues of the '08 we still have and the 2010 3 door we no longer own .

All car company's do this, nothing new. Your head gasket issue was a very rare case, maybe you got the bad one. Please stop bashing toyota...
Old 09-01-2011, 11:02 PM   #21
Hershey

When it's our money spent on many of their cars over the years you have the right to be peeved with TOYOTA and the way they and some of their service centers handle issues . Believe what you want , your right . Last , we do enjoy the '08 sedan while it has had issues . Plan to keep it until the bitter sweet end . It's a love / hate relation .

Last edited by Hershey; 09-07-2011 at 12:01 AM.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:41 PM   #22
johnny_vitz

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
I'm glad you still enjoy the sedan. Some dealerships are a pain to deal with, they're all different.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:32 PM   #23
Hershey

TOYO service took it for a spin to listen for the clunk , no noise . Then put it on lift and said it all looks good . Did notice the bolts are rusted and said it's the norm for our region . We'll have to wait until it clunks most or all of the time for next visit .
Old 09-10-2011, 12:54 AM   #24
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
So they are just grade 8 bolts like the ones at Lowes and Home Depot?
I will go into the dealership and ask them about it next month....

I have no room in this one car garage, so I'll take it to a repair shop and have them do it.
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:17 AM   #25
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
TOYO service took it for a spin to listen for the clunk , no noise . Then put it on lift and said it all looks good . Did notice the bolts are rusted and said it's the norm for our region . We'll have to wait until it clunks most or all of the time for next visit .
The clunking begins only after the head of the bolt shears off allowing the lower contol arm moves back and forth during braking and accelleration.
DO NOT wait until they break to replace them. The bolts cost $8.50 each (at Canadian dealerships, likely cheaper in the US) and can be replaced with hand tools until they break at which time the cost/complication of removal/replacement will greatly increase especially if you enroll a dealer to process the TSB. DON'T WAIT! Save several hundred dollars. Do it now.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:19 AM   #26
MUSKOKA800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
So they are just grade 8 bolts like the ones at Lowes and Home Depot?
I will go into the dealership and ask them about it next month....

I have no room in this one car garage, so I'll take it to a repair shop and have them do it.
Although I didn't see the new bolts before my mechanic installed them I would think that they have a stepped head judging by the configuration of the control arm mounting point. Best go to your dealership and buy their upgraded parts for less than $20.00 for both and know they're correct.

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:00 AM   #27
Hershey

Same here , no garage . Driveway is too sloped to work on .
Old 09-10-2011, 07:56 PM   #28
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
hey hershey! hows it been going, havent seen u on the fourms for a while.

so i have recently noticed a clunking noise coming from my car, i notice it more if im stopped while turning the wheel vs when im changing from forward to reverse. i will be going under the car tomorrow to take a look and ill pick up the new bolts from toyota on monday. are the new bolts a better design/material or is it the exact same bolt but just buys you some time before it breaks again?
Old 09-10-2011, 07:59 PM   #29
yaris2010RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
2007 - 2011

Attachment 43341
also from looking at this TSB it says we need more then just the bolt? is this correct? im afraid to have toyota do the job under warranty as my car is lowered and is quite other wise moddified
Old 09-11-2011, 04:53 PM   #30
MUSKOKA800

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2010RS View Post
also from looking at this TSB it says we need more then just the bolt? is this correct? im afraid to have toyota do the job under warranty as my car is lowered and is quite other wise moddified
The Toyota Canada TSB showed only bolt replacement for my '08 sedan. No mention of control arm or cross-member replacement and about 3 hours instead of the 5.5 hours stated in the US TSB. Other production years or models could differ of course.
The bolts are supposed to be an updated part. Hopefully that means better.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:44 AM   #31
yaris2010RS

it takes 3 hours to replace a bolt???
Old 09-14-2011, 04:44 PM   #32
MUSKOKA800

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2010RS View Post
it takes 3 hours to replace a bolt???
Only at Toyota, after they've broken.
My mechanic replaced the one broken and other still intact bolt in about an hour. My total cost for parts and labour (two visits) ~$130.00.

Strange. I found the broken bolt head and washer in my parking spot at school this morning. Odd that it would have snapped while parked. The bolt was clearly defective with rust extending better than halfway through it's half inch shank, right at the head where the flat washer would be.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:03 AM   #33
taka

Drives: 2008 Sedan
Replaced both bolts with new which look identical to the old one. Maybe Toyota already had the new type bolts installed? The old bolts shank are rusted on the bottom 1" near the washer. Looking at the installation area, it form a bathtub shape trapping water where the bolts are. There drain holes further back but are higher up. No wonder the TSB called for sealing seam that area. I covered the bolt shank with lots of grease to prevent corrosion before installation since I can't seal due to undercoat.
taka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:18 PM   #34
GregP42

Drives: 2008 Yaris S hatch
I am glad I saw this thread as it now tells me what to look for under my '08 for the clunking noise I have had.
GregP42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:21 PM   #35
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
anyone know the part number for this bolt??

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the object. Torque is how far you move that object.."
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #36
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
anyone know the part number for this bolt??
There are three or so threads on this now. The part number is posted in the "warranty" one.