Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #37
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Just received a warranty extension for this bolt issue to 7/100k.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:45 PM   #38
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
anyone know the part number for this bolt??
90119-14126
UberSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:50 PM   #39
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberSilver View Post
90119-14126
thanks bro but is this the new one or the old bolt part #..

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the object. Torque is how far you move that object.."
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:07 PM   #40
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
thanks bro but is this the new one or the old bolt part #..
The old and new are really the same. There isn't a new part number. When I bought six of them, the new ones all had different markings on the head than the old ones, but that may just have been because they were a different batch.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:11 PM   #41
marcus
toyota

cool .. thanks i did notice 1 marking on the new bolt vs 2 markings on the old one..

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the object. Torque is how far you move that object.."
Old 02-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #42
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
Quote:
cool .. thanks i did notice 1 marking on the new bolt vs 2 markings on the old one..
My old ones had two line marks, as did the new. Would have been nice if Toyota released a stainless steel bolt as the replacement.
UberSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:35 PM   #43
andulong

Drives: 2008 Hatch Red
EASY DIY?

I want to swap out my bolts before they break. I do most of my own work but have not messed with suspension stuff much. Is this just as simple as lefty loosey...righty tighty? I have a 3/4" metric socket set and a beam torque wrench and think I can slide under the car if I park it on the curb. Anything special needed? Grease, sealant...or just new bolts and wrenches?

$20 for bolts will give me a lot of peace of mind down the road...even though I am in San Diego and the bolts look fine at this time.

Just hope they don't break off during removal...if so then I never touched them!

Thanks.
andulong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:49 PM   #44
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by andulong View Post
I want to swap out my bolts before they break. I do most of my own work but have not messed with suspension stuff much. Is this just as simple as lefty loosey...righty tighty? I have a 3/4" metric socket set and a beam torque wrench and think I can slide under the car if I park it on the curb. Anything special needed? Grease, sealant...or just new bolts and wrenches?

$20 for bolts will give me a lot of peace of mind down the road...even though I am in San Diego and the bolts look fine at this time.

Just hope they don't break off during removal...if so then I never touched them!

Thanks.
Chances are that yours still look like new, but it is as simple as cranking out the old one and cranking on the new ones.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #45
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Think we'll just let it go and check on the bolts when doing an oil change . Hopefully one will snap off before the 8 yr. / 125,000 mile warranty expires . Think we have 3 years after this MAY or 68,000 miles . 3 years is most likely .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #46
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Its my understanding that this is more of a problem in northern areas where salt is used on snow and ice .

I got my extended warranty notice a month or so ago. So far, the bolts are fine on my '09. Even though I live in NY state, since I have retired, I rarely dive on icy, sated roads any more.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:08 PM   #47
marcus
toyota

now im scared to even take the old one out....sigh*

Old 02-27-2013, 01:48 PM   #48
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
OK, so,

Some Yari left the factory, (factories) with what was later determined to be inferior quality bolts that may or may not be susceptible to accelerated corrosion and failure due to what only can be described as a design flaw in the shape of the lower control arm. Causing water and moisture to pool.

The only way to see if your cars bolts are corroding is to remove them and do a visual inspection. Unless of course the head of the bolt shears off then you'll know.

Bringing it in to Toyota they will what? Tell you they can't do anything until it shears? Look at the bolt heads? And if the heads are fine they do nothing or do they remove them them inspect them and then ...........what?

Do they, will they. replace them if they have gone that far or put the old bolts back in? At what level of rust or corrosion?

(At first I thought this was limited to some Yari from some factory with some paticular batch of bolts, but it appears to be more widespread. Not bolts, design).

However if they shear off bring it in and they'll fix it and have extended the warranty on this issue, unless your car is over 100k miles or 7 years or something, or you have an extended warranty beyond that, that may or may not extend to that depending on the mood of your service manager..............maybe.

And they will fix it with what? Bolts that are less susceptible to corrsion? Salt water corrison in particular?....................................... ............. FIN?

Or is this something that is going to have to be addressed for the life of the car? How does this address the design flaw?

Does that about sum it up, what have I missed? Just trying to understand this....................completely.

I'm in the Northeast of the States, my car has just under 40K and when I wash it off in the winter I always try to rinse the undercarriage with the wand more than usual. I looked at my bolt heads and they seem fine to me, of course the problem lies just beneath the bolt head.

HA! And I thought when I bought that 19mm socket to do my cruise control DIY that I would never use that again.

cheers.

Last edited by NEexpat; 02-27-2013 at 02:30 PM.
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:45 PM   #49
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
It's been at 2 service centers and both said it's fine . Proboably don't want to be bothered with it . TOYOTA should make it mandatory to change the bolts . It's cheaper for them to leave it up to the mechanics .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #50
Bigs

Drives: 2008
So I have an 08 Hatchback. According to the TSB listed early in this thread, after a certain VIN (JTDJT4K3#B5330321 or JTDKT4K3#B5330321) this “shouldn’t” be an issue.
My VIN is JTDJT92388520XXXX, so am I in the clear?
I think so but also thinking about preemptively changing the bolts.

What do you think?
Thanks
Bigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:48 PM   #51
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigs View Post
So I have an 08 Hatchback. According to the TSB listed early in this thread, after a certain VIN (JTDJT4K3#B5330321 or JTDKT4K3#B5330321) this “shouldn’t” be an issue.
My VIN is JTDJT92388520XXXX, so am I in the clear?
I think so but also thinking about preemptively changing the bolts.

What do you think?
Thanks
The whole which VIN thing is not super clear and it has changed at least once, so I would definitely recommend that anyone who lives where road salt is used check them on a minimum of a yearly basis.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:54 PM   #52
Bigs

Drives: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The whole which VIN thing is not super clear and it has changed at least once, so I would definitely recommend that anyone who lives where road salt is used check them on a minimum of a yearly basis.
That sounds like a reasonable plan,
thanks
Bigs is offline   Reply With Quote