Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-04-2013, 11:33 PM   #1
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
Did you know a different brand of brake fluid will change performance?

I never would have thought that a DOT4 from different brands would make a noticeable difference.

I've been using Castrol GT-LMA dot 4 fluid for about 25 years. It's cheap and seems to last.

On Sunday while helping a friend clean out his garage, I came across a case of ATE dot 4 fluid in blue color. I asked him how old is it, he said he bought it 6 months back at a car show, for $20. So he gave me a couple of cans, telling me it's great stuff, and really made a difference in his Carrara 4.

So this morning I filled up my power bleeder with this blue stuff, and flushed out the one week old GT-LMA

So no other changes in the system, and I bled them the same way as always.

The brakes feel a bunch better with this ATE fluid! I could not believe the difference.

I know what I'm saying does not make sense, but I would not make this up.
UberSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:44 PM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I've used ATE for quite a while, never found anything better. Very hard to boil it at the track, too. Good stuff.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:50 PM   #3
UberSilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
I've used ATE for quite a while, never found anything better. Very hard to boil it at the track, too. Good stuff.
I've seen it for years at the Volvo shops, but they charge like $25. per liter.

While the Castrol is $7. per quart, I just never though I'd notice any difference on the street, as I was under the impression that the only difference was boiling point. learn something everyday.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
hw6515

Drives: 08 Yaris AT, 350Z GT MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Never been happy with the brands I tried, with this endorsement now I must have it :)

Is this the one?

http://www.amazon.com/ATE-706302-Ori...I37CQPQHACPZII
hw6515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
UberSilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by hw6515 View Post
Never been happy with the brands I tried, with this endorsement now I must have it :)

Is this the one?

http://www.amazon.com/ATE-706302-Ori...I37CQPQHACPZII
Yep, but tire rack sells it for $15. If you buy the blue and the clear(ATE200), this will aid in the flush, as you can go back in forth between colors every 1~2 years. I just ordered a couple of more cans from TR, cost was $39.07 shipped.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #6
hw6515

Drives: 08 Yaris AT, 350Z GT MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberSilver View Post
Yep, but tire rack sells it for $15. If you buy the blue and the clear(ATE200), this will aid in the flush, as you can go back in forth between colors every 1~2 years. I just ordered a couple of more cans from TR, cost was $39.07 shipped.
Thanks, will give it a try this weekend.

For me with shipping for 2 cans Amazon still a good choice price wise.
hw6515 is offline   Reply With Quote