Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-12-2016, 05:11 AM   #1
Sarah1986
I've made a post!

Drives: toyota yaris
Water leak/removing rear seats

Hi, I am hoping someone can help me. I previously had a 3 door 2010 yaris but moved to a 5 door 2012 yaris in the summer (62 plate) It was fine when I got it but in the last month or so I have discovered a water leak.

At first I just noticed a wet section on the rear drivers footwell, I couldn't see anything else so got it cleaned up and dried. At the weekend I noticed a water mark along the side of the rear seat and it was soaking as was the floorwell again. I got everything out of the boot and there was a small pool of water under the spare tyre. I had a quick search about what could be causing this and got my dad to check over some of it. The seal on the rear light was loose so I am hoping this has what it has been and by tightening it will stop any further water coming in.

I now have the problem that my car is soaking and the seats smell of damp. I am lucky that I have access to getting it valeted easily but I don't really want half a job done by just surface cleaning the seats and carpets as obviously there is water under the rear seats.

We tried to remove the rear seats at the weekend but had no luck, the sides lifted slightly but the middle of the seat felt as though something was holding it in place. My dad didn't want to keep pulling in case he broke anything. We can't see anythingnear the seats such as a leaver etc... Is there a straight forward way of removing the rear seats as I would like to get this all properly cleaned so a damp smell doesn't start to come through?

Also, there appears to be a dampness under the black trim near the rear light, is there a way to get this sorted without ripping it all out as I am worried that removing any plastics they might not fit back as they were.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Sarah1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:38 AM   #2
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
2007 Yaris hatchback rear seat bottom release removal white clips squeeze

2007 hatchback rear seat bottom comes up easily when you squeeze release tabs on two large white clips you'll see looking under...w/ front seats pushed forward, agility, mechanics mirror, patience and determination. (I may have used a waterpump plier to squeeze the tabs...or an adjustable wrench set w/ just the right opening.)
On water leaks, confirm the little black drain tube exiting the lower firewall is not obstructed.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yaris leak rear seat