Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-29-2007, 07:32 AM   #1
vitzwantone

Drives: Yaris Hatchback
4WD vitz, Need Help

Hi,
I'm a newbie here, i was kinda googling for some info about toyota vitz and found this forumm. Hopefully, someone here could give me some the info i'm looking for

The thing is i'm crazy for this vitz/yaris car but can't afford to get a brand new one so i was looking into those secod hand cars dealer in my country. Then i found a dealer that got two 2006 Vitz imported from Japan. One is in Light Green Metalic, which is infact not my colour, the other one is in Silver metalic, which i totally fell in love with from the first sight =P

Though, the silver one is known to be a 4WD. So below is what come to my attention, since the price almost the same:

1) I have known that the 4WD consume more fuel (even thought i heard it can be turned on and off), and only available in 1.3l. while, i know for sure that the other one is 1.5l. So can someone, answer me about this 4wd fuel consumtion level compare to this 1.5l. Both are Automatic Transmission.

2) Basically, what is more worthwide in terms of value for money in a long term? Because i can tell you that i definitely prefer the Silver colour.

Plz Plz Plz help!
vitzwantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:55 AM   #2
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
well no one here has actually put there hands on a AWD Vitz yet, though we would like to have one over here. Also unsure about the 1.3L as we do not have those in the States as well.

But as for the 1.5 FWD we have a lot to tell you about that, the 1NZ motor can be modified with bolt-ons to increase mileage and HP very easily.

If long term value is what you are looking for I would say the 1.5 FWD
the 1.3L AWD would be nice, but more fuel consumption, and more drivetrain parts that may break in the future

just my two cents
Old 08-29-2007, 09:01 AM   #3
nqd

Drives: 07 Yaris LB Absolute RED
i didnt know they came aWD...
Old 08-29-2007, 01:34 PM   #4
fu_im_from_texas

Drives: Liftback
Send a message via AIM to fu_im_from_texas
awd rocks... toyota's are tanks... have your mechanic take a look at it, and if he says the car is mechanicly sound go for awd...

as for fuel milage, like blackyaris said the US doesnt get the 1.3L or awd... but my guess is they get the same gas milage +- 10%
fu_im_from_texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:47 PM   #5
CF-Shane

Drives: 1993 Toyota Terecel 2 door
Send a message via AIM to CF-Shane Send a message via Yahoo to CF-Shane
hmm... I wonder if the mounts are present on the US Yaris' to mount up the 4wd gear from Japan. It might be worth importing the parts :D
CF-Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:15 PM   #6
CompanyXPaladin

Drives: 08 Yaris 5-speed
Quote:
hmm... I wonder if the mounts are present on the US Yaris' to mount up the 4wd gear from Japan. It might be worth importing the parts :D
I'm with you on that one. A 4WD Yaris would be awesome.

Back OT, though... I think fu_im_from_texas nailed it pretty well - get a professional opinion on the Yarii, get the one in better mechanical shape. It'll pay off later. Ultimately its your decision, as it is to be your vehicle.
CompanyXPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:42 PM   #7
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Quote:
Originally Posted by CF-Shane View Post
your talking complete drivetrain, and the computer to run it...might as well buy the new 2008 wrx hatchback... i might : )
Old 08-30-2007, 12:07 AM   #8
Thotprawsis

Drives: '07 Blazin' Blue LB
Go for the awd. Sorry to hijack the thread just fyi for the rest of the crew. Check this out.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/c...da-and-toyota/
I'm thinking awd would be the sh!t.
Thotprawsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:57 AM   #9
CF-Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch View Post
your talking complete drivetrain, and the computer to run it...might as well buy the new 2008 wrx hatchback... i might : )
Why would I bother doing that? I looked at the WRX wagon, I'd be getting mpg in the mid 20 range, pay about $20,000 more for the car than a Yaris, and have the stigma of having just another WRX. Kind of seems like a huge waste to me. Now an awd turbo Yaris would be something different and fun, and I bet I'd still get mpg in the mid 30's, all for less than the cost of the 08 WRX. In fact, I'd probably have enough left over to buy a used stock Yaris for my wife.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:59 AM   #10
CF-Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thotprawsis View Post
Go for the awd. Sorry to hijack the thread just fyi for the rest of the crew. Check this out.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/c...da-and-toyota/
I'm thinking awd would be the sh!t.
I'd bet it bolts up, or maybe just some minor welding of tabs. I'd love to find out :D

As for the electrical, no biggie there, for me at least.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:20 AM   #11
vitzwantone

Drives: Yaris Hatchback
Thx for all suggestion and comments. I settled for the Green one.

I know many of u would have chose the AWD one but my reason is as i said, i care for long term value and clearly the 4WD model is about 10% less fuel efficient than the 2WD. Also taking to account the parts issue, my mechanic said they are hard to find and trouble to fix.

But hey, this car is awsome! and i kinda love my colour now, it's really nice, it looks goldish in the sun light.

IM AN OFFICIAL NEW OWNER PEEPS!!!!!!!!
vitzwantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 07:49 AM   #12
Thotprawsis

Drives: '07 Blazin' Blue LB
Congrats! That is a cool color and welcome to the board. You will find most people here are very helpful. I hope to see you post on this forum from time to time.
Thotprawsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 08:01 AM   #13
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
good choice. In an automatic transmission, bigger is usually better.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:42 PM   #14
racker

Drives: Vitz
hello y have a vitz 4wd is very powerfull and not consume much gas, the consume is very normal here a pics

racker is offline   Reply With Quote