Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-07-2010, 11:34 AM   #19
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
holy monkey balls... are you trying to make me go bankrupt? the LSD is my next upgrade i plan on doing. but 1600 is pushing my budget... the kaaz u got for under 900 is what my eye is on right now.
ilikerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:36 AM   #20
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
The Kaaz worked really well for me. When you're ready let me know, I might sell my used one.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:44 AM   #21
ilikerice

interesting..thanks... ill definitly keep you informed. rumor has it that honda is possibly going to produce a 1.6L N/A cr-z and a 1.6L turbo crx-z type R.. this really puts butterflies in my stomach

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/06/r...n-hybrid-cr-z/
Old 12-07-2010, 11:54 AM   #22
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Drifter View Post
Hm...

...what about centrifugal superchargers, like Vortech? Supposedly they're more efficient (although you lose that lovely Roots whine) and - I may be wrong here - instead of bolting directly to the head, they pipe to the factory intake manifold.

...meaning of course, that you can intercool them for a cooler/denser air charge. I think?
yes, but there goes your instant boost...
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:52 PM   #23
Midnight Drifter
Going Retro

Drives: '09 Tacoma | '90 Tercel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus_Sh1ft View Post
Save yourself the headache and go turbo. Plus, what kind of response are you looking for here? An approriately paired turbo on our cars gets fast spooling times. Mine begins spooling around 2200 RPMs.
From 5,000-6,500 RPM, (typical 'time attack' RPM's )how long does it take to get fully boosted from nil to WOT?
Midnight Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:56 PM   #24
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ with a GT25 almost instantly. With a GT28, just a second or so.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:04 PM   #25
Midnight Drifter
Going Retro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
^ with a GT25 almost instantly. With a GT28, just a second or so.
Is the GT25 suitable for my (comparatively) modest goal?
Old 12-07-2010, 06:05 PM   #26
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Is the GT25 suitable for my (comparatively) modest goal?
yes
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:05 PM   #27
Midnight Drifter
Going Retro

Alright, I hate asking questions that were probably asked dozens of times, but I come into the Yarisworld fresh out of ownership of a Mk. 3 Supra... the 7M-GTE engine's headgasket starts leaking at the mere mention of adding boost... what kind of internal mods need to be done? Is the stock HG potent enough? How does VVT-i sync with forced induction? Do I need to run a completely aftermarket ECU? How about the exhaust system... probably need to open it up to at least 2.5", right?

Sorry for being such a n00b.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:15 PM   #28
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Drives: 2009 2 door hatchback
I have been running 8psi for 2 and a half months now with a Chinese GT25 knock off and a front mount I/C. No problems with internals or HG [all stock]. I run a AEM FIC piggy back with stock injectors, 2.25" custom exhaust. Car runs like a raped date. I haven't dynoed yet, but 4 sure over 150wph. I would guess about 180whp. Also no oil or coolant leaks anywhere. And now that the weather has droped to sub-zero here in Chicago its faster then ever. I am still ripping front tires through second gear in the cold. Newer cars use layered metal head gaskets witch are much more reliable.
pimp my yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:22 PM   #29
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
Quote:
Alright, I hate asking questions that were probably asked dozens of times, but I come into the Yarisworld fresh out of ownership of a Mk. 3 Supra... the 7M-GTE engine's headgasket starts leaking at the mere mention of adding boost... what kind of internal mods need to be done? Is the stock HG potent enough? How does VVT-i sync with forced induction? Do I need to run a completely aftermarket ECU? How about the exhaust system... probably need to open it up to at least 2.5", right?

Sorry for being such a n00b.
1) No internal mods are needed for low boost (~ 8 psi), however the max boost possible on stock internals is still uncertain. Obviously longevity becomes an issue as you start really pushing it.
2) VVT-i is called variable valve timing with intelligence for a reason. I don't think anyone is boosted with a camcon, so I can't comment on adjusting it on a forced induction application. It's fine by itself though.
3) There's no reason for an aftermarket ECU unless you're doing a huge build. AEM FIC or a camcon are just fine. All that really needs to be tuned is air/fuel anyways.
4) I think 2.25" is perfect for 8 psi for exhaust. From what I understand, by going too large on the diameter you lose low end torque. 2.25" is safe and doubtfully sacrifices much torque.
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:39 PM   #30
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
Im also boosted over a year, stock internals, AEM FIC, 1ZZ injectors, dyno'd 155hp @ 4 psi, I concure with everything Pimp & Focus mentioned above.....
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:27 PM   #31
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Ok, so I am really confused where people are getting that the car weighs in at only 2300 lbs??? If you check the curb weight on the door panels it says that the LB weighs in around 3170 I think? At least that is what I recall seeing on Jinni's LB door placard. Mine shows 3300...what am I missing here???

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:35 PM   #32
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
http://www.toyota.com/yaris/specs.html

Those numbers are probably in kg. I can't remember the conversion off the top of my head.
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:49 PM   #33
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Drives: 2009 2 door hatchback
If your reading GVWR on the door, that is gross vehicle weight rating. That is the curb weight of the car plus the maximum weight it can carry. Actual curb weight is not givin on that door placard. You gotta google it or check toyota.com under Yaris specs. FYI the new Mazda 1 series weighs the same 2300lbs give or take.
pimp my yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:09 PM   #34
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp my yaris View Post
If your reading GVWR on the door, that is gross vehicle weight rating. That is the curb weight of the car plus the maximum weight it can carry. Actual curb weight is not givin on that door placard. You gotta google it or check toyota.com under Yaris specs. FYI the new Mazda 1 series weighs the same 2300lbs give or take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus_Sh1ft View Post
http://www.toyota.com/yaris/specs.html

Those numbers are probably in kg. I can't remember the conversion off the top of my head.

Ok, guys...that makes much more sense...thanks for setting me straight!

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:17 PM   #35
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Alright, I hate asking questions that were probably asked dozens of times
Everyone is being quite generous with you so far, that's a good thing. I'll go ahead and say the hated "try searching and reading first" phrase.... sorry but it had to be said!
Old 12-08-2010, 04:59 AM   #36
ilikerice

lol, i come from honda-tech.. and you dont post there unless its a build thread or you really did search and u cannot find the answer ur looking for... too many teenagers and ego boosted adults on that site.. blah..

when i first joined this site and saw some of the questions that were asked in some threads i told myself "wow, i read about that already when i searched it" but still people answer your questions here reguardless AND will link the thread for the person..

you guys spoil your members.. lol