Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-03-2015, 03:07 PM   #1
cabinfevrr

Drives: 2008 yaris 5door RS
Motormount causing front end clunk?

Hello, I searched but couldn't find a suitable thread to hijack. If this has been discussed at length, please forgive me and point me where I should look.

I had a front end clunk, so I started looking in to what could be the culprit. It was obvious that the struts were shot, and one coil spring had a crack in it. New struts, coils, and Moog swaybar links. While. I had it apart, I also did the hub bearings, and new hubs while I had the press out. Balljoints and tierods are fine. The knock persists, despite changing parts that were shot anyway. (damhik). So long to short, I was under it today looking at the control arm bolts - no rust, so I coated them with anti-seize and torqued them back on. The rest of the control arm bushings and swaybar bushings seem okay; tights, not cracked, and no play.

2008 5 door hb RS, 143,000kms, original owner. Only other front end parts replaced was drive axles last year, and boots are intact and no noise or play from them.

I'm wondering about the motor mount that is near the rack and pinion. It seems to have a lot of play, and when rocking the car back and forth with just a hand on the tire while trans in park, there is a clunk.

So, please tell me if you think I'm on the right track, and as a guy with the tools but no place to work on it other than a gravel driveway with ramps and Jack stands, would you repair it yourself or let a shop do it?

[IMG][/IMG]
cabinfevrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 03:34 PM   #2
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
It is most times the control arm bushings when in park grabbing tire shaking back and forth making clunking.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 04:44 PM   #3
cabinfevrr

Not the control arm bushings, like I mentioned. They are tight, not cracked, and I spent 3 hours today trying to duplicate the sound. Jacked up the wheels have zero play or noises, I used a 4 foot bar to try and get leverage on some pieces and parts. Nothing moves, all very solid. I'm done throwing parts at this car.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:49 PM   #4
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
When does it clunk? Over speedbumps? on rough roads? On braking? etc
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:54 PM   #5
CoryM

PS: I've actually been to Lunenburg!
Old 07-04-2015, 06:43 AM   #6
cabinfevrr

It will produce a clunk similar to a hollow strut sound, going down a gravel road, a seam in the highway, crack in the road.

Glad you've been out my way - this area never ceases to amaze me with its beauty and heritage.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:28 AM   #7
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Fwiw I recently replaced all 3 motor mounts. The two lateral ones are simple and easy to so, both of mine oon my Echo were completely worn out at 345,000km. The middle one located behind the steering rack was in amazing shape and took about 5 hoours to replace w/ a lot of headaches. If the middle one isn't in bad shape then don't touch it. If it is in bad shape then do your self a favor and drop the subframe before swapping it out.

I had a clunk recently but it was under low speed turns. It was the control arm bushing, and it looked to be in great shape.

The only way I was able to diagnose it was to jack up the front end and I hit the wheel w/ a large mallet while putting my hand on different suspension components. The control arms had the most movement/play.

Although your clunk sounds like it's happening under different circumstances.

How are your sway bar bushings and end links?
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 12:10 PM   #8
cabinfevrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Fwiw I recently replaced all 3 motor mounts. The two lateral ones are simple and easy to so, both of mine oon my Echo were completely worn out at 345,000km. The middle one located behind the steering rack was in amazing shape and took about 5 hoours to replace w/ a lot of headaches. If the middle one isn't in bad shape then don't touch it. If it is in bad shape then do your self a favor and drop the subframe before swapping it out.

I had a clunk recently but it was under low speed turns. It was the control arm bushing, and it looked to be in great shape.

The only way I was able to diagnose it was to jack up the front end and I hit the wheel w/ a large mallet while putting my hand on different suspension components. The control arms had the most movement/play.

Although your clunk sounds like it's happening under different circumstances.

How are your sway bar bushings and end links?
Swaybar end links are new, moogs. Bushings are tight, control arm bushings are fine, at least they don't flex when a 4 foot prybar gives them a little persuasion. I don't know if I posted it right, but do you guys see the video in my first post? I have a video of that motor mount moving, squeaking and clicking. I'm trying to get confirmation if that's normal or not.

http://s79.photobucket.com/user/cabi...hby0i.mp4.html
Old 07-04-2015, 10:55 PM   #9
tmontague

I haven't looked at the video yet but if all of the other suspension parts check out and your mount is squeaking and clicking then i'd say that is definitely not normal. Although that seems very early for an engine mount to goo on an '08
Old 07-05-2015, 12:41 AM   #10
CoryM

Watched the video and that sound is absolutely not normal. The only other thing in the area that can cause sounds like that is the exhaust flex, but I think that mount is shot. Pull it out and you probably find it is visibly torn/separated.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:55 AM   #11
cabinfevrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryM View Post
Watched the video and that sound is absolutely not normal. The only other thing in the area that can cause sounds like that is the exhaust flex, but I think that mount is shot. Pull it out and you probably find it is visibly torn/separated.
Yeah, I think the squeak is the exhaust, but only because the engine is moving so much. The clunk sounds exactly like what's going on when driving, which makes sense when it feels like it's right under your feet. I just looked up the procedure for changing the mount, and I'm going to take it to someone with a hoist. Frig that, I'm not doing that in a gravel driveway!
Old 07-05-2015, 06:53 AM   #12
tmontague

Just watched the video, far from normal. I'm curious as to what you get quoted at for labor on the mount
Old 07-05-2015, 07:49 AM   #13
cabinfevrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Just watched the video, far from normal. I'm curious as to what you get quoted at for labor on the mount
I'm at the point where I don't even care, I'm already in to it for about a thousand in parts just last month. Just make the clunk go away, this car is driven by my wife with our infant daughter - I just want the piece of mind that it's in tip top shape.

Where we live we have an inspection program, and the car is due next month, so I'm going to take it to an independent shop that a good friend owns, and tell him to just fix it and pass it early.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:28 PM   #14
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinfevrr View Post
I'm at the point where I don't even care, I'm already in to it for about a thousand in parts just last month. Just make the clunk go away, this car is driven by my wife with our infant daughter - I just want the piece of mind that it's in tip top shape.

Where we live we have an inspection program, and the car is due next month, so I'm going to take it to an independent shop that a good friend owns, and tell him to just fix it and pass it early.
That is probably your best bet. Did you replace all those parts yourself just to resolve the clunking issue?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:31 PM   #15
cabinfevrr

Somewhat. I tore into it knowing it had a hard winter (I commuted with it while my wife was on maternity leave). As I tore in to it, I replaced parts that were worn. I was just surprised that with the worn out parts I did find, the clunk persisted.