Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-03-2017, 02:28 PM   #19
David C

Drives: White '07 3dr LB
Would you use the stock setup hitch for a pushing application, like a foot of light snow, width of the car ? Or to move around a 2000lbs rolling weight in a parking lot ? I feel like it's pushing the hitch/tow point to the limits and could possibly damage the tabs due to the torsion. But perhaps Toyota really built the chassis with some beefy steel and I'm worried about nothing.

Would be cool to see a picture of your cargo carrier setup. Did you use tie down straps to secure the carrier to each corner of the car to prevent sway ?
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 06:57 PM   #20
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Would I attach a plow? Not on your life.

I don't do anything to further stabilize the carrier. Mine is a 1.25" so direct attach to the 1.25 receiver is fairly stiff. Your utlizing a 1.25" to 2.00" adapter will introduce some sloppiness, just don't know how much. Also, the adapter pushes your load another 6 or so inches further away from axle, thereby effectively increasing the load on your suspension.
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2017, 08:07 PM   #21
David C

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Would I attach a plow? Not on your life.

I don't do anything to further stabilize the carrier. Mine is a 1.25" so direct attach to the 1.25 receiver is fairly stiff. Your utlizing a 1.25" to 2.00" adapter will introduce some sloppiness, just don't know how much. Also, the adapter pushes your load another 6 or so inches further away from axle, thereby effectively increasing the load on your suspension.

That's why I want to go straight to 2", to get rid of the adaptor and extra length.

Thanks for the pictures
Old 06-11-2017, 10:30 AM   #22
David C

I received the hitch Friday and an hour later it was installed and bolts properly torque in. Yesterday I received what was supposed to be a 2" to 1-1/4" adapter, but wrong item was sent and I'll only get the proper one on Tuesday. Cargo carrier should arrive on Tuesday or earlier (it's a 2" shank).

Note on the Curt installation instructions : 45lb-ft for the 3/8 bolts and 210lb-ft for the 5/8 bolts means a lot of clamping force, and obviously even for grade 8 yellow zinc plated hardware, a thorough lubrication of the threads prior to torquing is a must, but there was no mention of it in the instructions at all, either on paper, online or in videos. If a manufacturer invest the resources into specifying an exact assembly torque, then it should clearly indicate the minimum hardware grade and if the torque values are for lubricated or dry threads. If I'm to take the hitch off, I would clearly use new hardware for reassembly, as the old ones would have already been weaken from the high torque of the original installation.

Next update when I get the adapter and carrier and haul it all back home 600 miles north.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:53 PM   #23
David C

Here's the carrier with riser adapter.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:28 PM   #24
WeeYari

Is that riser adaptor actually touching the license plate? Sumbeach that's about as close for tolerance as you can get.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2017, 09:04 PM   #25
David C

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Is that riser adaptor actually touching the license plate? Sumbeach that's about as close for tolerance as you can get.

It's actually gonna need to be trimmed 1/2" for the pin hole to line up in the curt hitch receiver.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:31 AM   #26
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Curt hitch receiver adapter

I might be tempted to try lower, closer and lighter by using a piece of straight 1.25" receiver stock and then the 2" cargo carrier tongue as a female rather than a male fit to this piece...with whatever for spacer plates in between for a tight fit.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:55 AM   #27
WeeYari

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
I might be tempted to try lower, closer and lighter by using a piece of straight 1.25" receiver stock and then the 2" cargo carrier tongue as a female rather than a male fit to this piece...with whatever for spacer plates in between for a tight fit.
If his carrier is like mine, then the tongue is solid stock and could not act as a female.

Edit: Upon close inspection of the pictures, I guess the tongue is indeed hollow.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:42 AM   #28
MugenRep
iQ innovator & researcher

Drives: 2012 iQ
Isn't there an older thread here with similar information regarding this to tow a trailer? I could have sworn I read it and it had really great info. I can't seem to search and find it atm though.
MugenRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:01 AM   #29
David C

Yes there's another thread I remember about, with pics of people towing a wide arrays of trailers and such. Keep browsing the search function I guess.

The carrier shank is a 2" square hollow, so technically I could weld a square 1-1/4" steel stock in it with the adequate fill plates. That's a pretty slick idea, thank you Dogs. The riser adapter I bought is actually a solid 1-1/4" steel stock (which make it almost as heavy as the whole carrier itself, carrier is only 26lbs), but it's kinda loose inside the receiver, same goes for the carrier fit into the adapter, both are pretty loose and there's a lot of slope, I'll need to add shim plates or a tightener device to keep everything straight and levelled. I should be back home by the weekend, it'll wait till then.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:29 PM   #30
David C

First trip to the recycling facility was a success.