Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-12-2011, 11:49 AM   #1
quemoto
Bout to be Boosted

Drives: '09 Yaris LB 3 Door
Supercharger Belt Slip Possible fix

So a bit of background, my 09 LB got rear ended on the highway and smashed up pretty good so since the warranty is now void Im looking to do some forced induction.

No to my whole point here, I was leaning towards the Blitz S/C since its the easy fit and I have a soft spot for supercharging. However from what I read if you try to overdrive the pulley some belt slippage occurs. So here is my thought I was inspired by my buddies bone stock Honda...

Toothed pulleys/belts. I was going to replace all the pulleys with lightweight ones anyway so why not convert em to toothed, the slippage issue would be all but gone. What do you guys think?

PS Im not new to yaris world my old account got messed up
quemoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:38 PM   #2
larryn2o

Drives: 08 yaris
I've been running blowers on the street since 1983 , my first was a Paxton on a 1982 GT Mustang. one thing I've learned is "stick with the manufactures parts" . i wasted a LOT of cash trying to overdrive and get more boost / power. it seems with the Yaris that you can't do a lot to it without some stand alone fuel management .
just buy the blower , bolt it on and have fun! save your money to buy replacement front tires ;)
larryn2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:52 PM   #3
quemoto
Bout to be Boosted

Well you are right even with 7lbs of boost i will still have some power. I was looking into doing a LSD from Microimage to save those tires lol

1989 Toyota Pickup - The winter beast and general purpose Auto Zone runner when the Yaris is down for upgrades.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:51 AM   #4
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by quemoto View Post
...I was looking into doing a LSD from Microimage to save those tires lol
Nah, that'll just make'em wear out more evenly LMAO
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:54 AM   #5
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Let's start with how you plan to overdrive the supercharger?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:55 AM   #6
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
Just go turbo with the zage kit
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:11 PM   #7
quemoto
Bout to be Boosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Let's start with how you plan to overdrive the supercharger?
I was thinking over sized crank pulley and then underdrive the other components ie the alternator.

Im trying to avoid the turbo route only because with the gas prices going through the roof the magnetic clutch is kinda sexy :)

1989 Toyota Pickup - The winter beast and general purpose Auto Zone runner when the Yaris is down for upgrades.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:25 PM   #8
Blown_xa

Drives: Scion xA
Quote:
Originally Posted by quemoto View Post
I was thinking over sized crank pulley and then underdrive the other components ie the alternator.

Im trying to avoid the turbo route only because with the gas prices going through the roof the magnetic clutch is kinda sexy :)
I would go turbo, when I had blitz sc I always had belt slipping issues. When I had a nice sticky belt, shearing the crank pully pin was common . Used hardened pin, crank pully pin hole slotted itself .

Only way to get the 1nzfe motor to take a sc application well, would be to pull apart the motor , send crank to machine shop to get keyed , and have a custom crank pully along with other pullies made in a 6pk width.

That is the only way to prevent belt slippage and spinning crank pully on crank shaft. Many people have blitz and dont even realise their belt slips . Should hold 9 psi to redline with stock pullies . I always put some VHT on my belt at the dragstrip.

Ptuning.com
Blown_xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:26 PM   #9
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
check your crank pulley closely. there is very little room (almost none, really) to make it larger without hitting the block. NST did a prototype but it didn't work out.

With the Blitz, you'd have to convert to a fixed underdrive pulley and add management.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:51 PM   #10
quemoto
Bout to be Boosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
check your crank pulley closely. there is very little room (almost none, really) to make it larger without hitting the block. NST did a prototype but it didn't work out.
I will check that out when I get her back, she has been in the shop for a month getting $5500 worth of body repairs done since I was rear ended. So I have been speculating some ideas for when I get her back. The turbo idea is looking better and better so it seems. Although the supercharger whine is sooooo sexy on our cars. I was really hoping the toothed belt/pulley idea would work since no one had mentioned it before and it seems to work on other vehicles like the vette kits.

So since an oversized crank is a no go, would switching to toothed still be a worthwhile idea if I do go the S/C route or would the slipping crank pulley just be the new issue? Otherwise I could just leave the blitz stock and build power in other ways like management/tune and the usual IHE route.

On a side note for those of you with XBox 360's Forza Motorsport 3 has a 08 Yaris in it and I have found it quite handy for testing different body/paint ideas. That's also how I decided on the Motegi SP10 wheels. It seems that the game uses real aftermarket parts so now I have a bit of a shopping list in that department :D

Old 02-28-2011, 07:39 PM   #11
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
yes.. i have 5 yarii on that game.. all different setups.. hahah.. i use that game to decide what cars are competitive to comparison... its fun.. also since i got a eclipse GSX that i have never driven before in my garage waiting to be put together, i used forza 3 to test drive a bone stock one, and might i say.. HOLY MONKEY BALLS.. that car is amazing.. i cant wait to get mine on the road
ilikerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:56 PM   #12
quemoto
Bout to be Boosted

Yea that game is a must for any backyard mechanic, beats the hell out of photoshopping parts and paint onto a picture of your ride.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:36 PM   #13
PETERPOOP

Trust me dude, go turbo. I had the blitz kit and I loved the whine; however, it gets old after awhile and it's louder than the engine!

Now with turbo I got the sound of the BOV, turbo spooling ( my fav ), and now I can hear the engine! lol

this video of mine shows how far away you can hear the whine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p-f7Ee3P8Y
Old 03-02-2011, 06:37 PM   #14
quemoto
Bout to be Boosted

Like I said the turbo route is looking better and better, Btw peter that link didnt help at all lol now I really want the S/C.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:06 PM   #15
PETERPOOP

Sorry, but the zage kit is half the price of the blitz and makes 40 + more horses.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:03 PM   #16
quemoto
Bout to be Boosted

I saw that, how many guys on here have used the Zage kit? I do admit the price is unbelievably good.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:26 PM   #17
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

I've sold six kits so far, with more on the way.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:16 PM   #18
quemoto
Bout to be Boosted

If I go with the Zage kit I was planning on patronizing your fine site Cali. Btw I just bought some springs and a TRD badge this afternoon from you :P