Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-08-2017, 10:01 AM   #1
Pinchlite

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
Found another annoying rattle location to conquer.

This one is the front side marker lights on the front of the 2007 2 DR HB.

These are loose in the holes and vibrate causing noise.

Why toyota did not have rubber gasket between metal and plastic lens beyond me.

anyway has anyone else notice these things rattle when listening to music or going over bumps.Actually the wind can vibrate these when driving over 80 km or so.

I was thinking of making my own gasket?
Pinchlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:18 AM   #2
magicman_841

Drives: 07 HB Yaris
This might explain why the previous owner of my HB put a bead of silicone around them, haha!
magicman_841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:22 AM   #3
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
The reason the second gens have trunk rust bubbles are thanks to Toyota putting that stupid plastic trim piece on the trunk with no rubber behind it. It rubs the paint off and leads to a rust bubble underneath it.

I can't stand when manufacturers don't put anything between metal and plastic trim. I'd fix it before it starts causing rust.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:31 AM   #4
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Rust behind hatch emblems symbols rubber

Are you referring to the chrome "Yaris" on the right side of the hatch? Or the triple oval symbol in the center? Or the "Toyota" on the left? (not seeing rubber under any of these, though everything stuck on the rear seems to have started rust on my other Toyotas...unless it fell off.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:53 AM   #5
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
^ he has a sedan which has a blasted longish chrome trim piece mounted in the center of the trunk. Thankfully the hatch did not have the silly thing.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2017, 11:57 AM   #6
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Pinchlite, how the hell can you hear the side marker ratttle with all the other noise this car makes?

The retaining clip on one of mine mysteriously snapped for some reason. Approached my car one day and the light was dangling against the fender by its wire. Secured it back in place with a small bit of 3M tape. This could be the very reason why magicman is observing a silicon bead around his.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:10 PM   #7
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
The retaining clip on one of mine mysteriously snapped for some reason. Approached my car one day and the light was dangling against the fender by its wire. Secured it back in place with a small bit of 3M tape.
Same thing happened to both marker lights on my 2007. I researched getting new ones... which I found dirt cheap on e-bay; instead, I made 3M gaskets for them which worked out well.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:58 PM   #8
Pinchlite

rattles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Same thing happened to both marker lights on my 2007. I researched getting new ones... which I found dirt cheap on e-bay; instead, I made 3M gaskets for them which worked out well.
(I made 3M gaskets).Can you elaborate as I would like to do the same.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:00 PM   #9
Pinchlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Pinchlite, how the hell can you hear the side marker ratttle with all the other noise this car makes?

The retaining clip on one of mine mysteriously snapped for some reason. Approached my car one day and the light was dangling against the fender by its wire. Secured it back in place with a small bit of 3M tape. This could be the very reason why magicman is observing a silicon bead around his.

There is not enough metal.

The plastic light does not overlap metal enough for silicone to be of any purpose.Already tried.

I have isolated all rattles thats why I can hear this one.

I did all the engine bay rattles,door and a few others and nothing sits loose inside my car.Also rear seat delete including all seatbelts/hardware with everything sound matted.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:19 PM   #10
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
^^^ The plastic clips had broken off both lights, so I used black 3M 2-sided tape and made a "gasket" that fit the back of the light. Once it was adhered to the back, I used a razor blade to trim it nicely around the perimeter. I cleaned the fender, peeled off the paper, and press fit the marker lights in place. It worked well and never gave me a problem.

BTW, if someone wants/needs new markers, you can get them here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Side-Turn-...3D232257992678
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yaris fender markers.jpg (36.1 KB, 52 views)
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote