Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-21-2008, 09:14 PM   #1
justoneyaris

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris
Why you should buy a Yaris.

Crazy article:

http://gas2.org/2008/10/21/are-tiny-...saved-my-life/

I rolled my Toyota Yaris three times this morning after hitting a six-foot-high dirt embankment at highway speed. I crawled out with no more than a bump on my head, seat belt burn, and a massively stiff neck. So, for all you small car safety-doubters out there, I’ve now got personal experience to say otherwise.

Inevitably, whenever we post about small electric cars, funky three-wheelers, or any other small fuel-efficient vehicle here at Gas 2.0, we get typical responses along the lines of “It may get 60 mpg, but that thing’s a death trap,” or “It’s nice to drive electric, but would you trust that car to your family?”

After this morning’s shenanigans, I can unequivocally say “Yes. Yes I would trust my family to a small fuel-efficient car, and I’m miraculously alive and mostly uninjured… so no, it’s not a death trap.”

My Yaris got 40 mpg and weighed about a quarter of a Chevy Suburban. From the outside it may not have looked very substantial, but it sure saved me on fuel costs. And, until today, I would have grudgingly agreed that it may not be as safe as driving a behemoth like the Suburban.

But now that my life has stopped flashing before my eyes, and I’ve had a chance to think, it is simply amazing that I walked away from that crash barely bleeding. I mean, just look at the remnants of my car.

In fact, after today, I think I fared better in my Yaris than I would have in a Suburban land yacht. Imagine how many times I would have flipped in the Suburban and the force of impact that would have come along with crashing an 8600 pound car?

So, for everybody out there that’s using safety as an excuse to not go green, I must ask you to please take a look at that picture of my car and the wonder of how I walked away well enough to write this post the same day. Then try turning around and telling me that these upcoming small alternative cars aren’t safe simply because they’re small.

It’s more a matter of engineering, and, at least in Toyota’s case, those engineers are miracle-workers.
justoneyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:11 AM   #2
Letsrock

Drives: 2009 Yaris
That thing stood up great. You can see that the cabin is solid. Thats the important part.
Letsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:28 AM   #3
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
Glad you're okay.

Our cars are small to everything else, but compare it to cars in the early 90s... The Yaris is bigger than the early 90s corrolla.

It's too bad people associate small with "economy."
rningonfumes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:39 AM   #4
Letsrock

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Thats true my buddy bought a 92 Corolla and it was tiny.
I think even the 92 Geo Metro i had was bigger than the Yaris though i had a 4 dr Metro.
Letsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:58 AM   #5
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
DUPLICATE of http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9666
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:34 PM   #6
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
Quote:
Originally Posted by rningonfumes View Post
Glad you're okay.

Our cars are small to everything else, but compare it to cars in the early 90s... The Yaris is bigger than the early 90s corrolla.

It's too bad people associate small with "economy."
it wasn't him.......

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:57 PM   #7
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
lol... nice.

I guess I didn't pay attention to that. Just saw a bunch of "I this.. or I that.."
rningonfumes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:48 AM   #8
otterhere

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3-door Meteorite
I agree... This may be the smallest car you can buy (other than a Smart or possibly a Mini, which is at least shorter) and they may call it a "subcompact" (do they; based on what?), but it's hardly a TINY car; as tall as many much larger cars, and quite a big longer and wider than my current (Suzuki Swift hatch). Still, very impressive; thanks.
otterhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:12 PM   #9
von tirpitz

Drives: Toyota Sedan
Glad to hear that you walked away. Thanks for posting this.
von tirpitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 02:05 PM   #10
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
I work at a car dealer so I sit in and drive hundreds of different cars.

I can honestly say that the Yaris [sedan] is as big a car inside as mid-size and even full size sedans (although a bit narrower). The way the seats are designed high and upright and with a stretched cab design while larger cars waste overall size on hood length. It's the most efficient use of space I've ever seen along with the Honda Fit.

I carry four 6+ foot tall people without cramping in this car. There's often less rear leg room in SUV's and minivans. People are always amazed that this is a SUB-compact!
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote