Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
yarismo

Drives: Yaris HB luna
braking problem

Hello, during these last days I noticed there is something wrong with brakes on my 2006 HB Yaris. when i brake at the speed between 80 and 140 km/h, i feel some vibrations on the pedal and the steering wheel, also i noticed that the performance of the brakes is not anymore like before, and the ABS activates oftenly at the minor pressure on pedal. I have never changed my brake pads since 2006 they still good because i drive it rarely (59 000 miles)
anyone knows what could it be !
thank you for help
yarismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
It could be two things, tire out of balance or alignment.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #3
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
It could also be warped rotors. At about 25.00 per rotor it's a cheap start...assuming you can change your own brakes of course.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:12 PM   #4
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
I would look into the rotors and rear drums. I was having some pulsating while braking, and my slow braking was 'off'. Turns out I needed my rear drums turned BAD, drivers side was the worst. Luckily my friend took care of it for me and turned them when he was putting my TRD shocks on and prepping the car for a long trip. It also ate up my brake shoes as they weren't wearing evenly. If you do the brake work yourself be aware that you'll need to pinch the brake lines so you don't damage the ABS!
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
If the vibration is felt in the bake pedal only when braking and at high speeds then your brake rotors are warped. You are going to either have to have your front brake rotors resurfaced or replaced.

Have you had a tire rotation or replacement recently. If the tires were not correctly torqued or in a cross pattern that can warp your rotors.

If not it could have happened if you ever did a quick panic stop and stayed stationary for awhile such as if someone cuts you off on the freeway or there is sudden traffic you heat the rotor up real hot and then the brake pad sits on one portion of the rotor while the rest is cooling off it can create a high spot. Or if after heavy braking you wash the car the cold water on the hot rotor creates rapid cooling down that can warp or even crack it sometimes.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #6
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
i vote for warped rotors as well...

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the object. Torque is how far you move that object.."
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #7
yarismo

Drives: Yaris HB luna
most probably the rotors are damaged as you said , because i didn't pay attention to them and wached the car while they are still hot after a long trip, and may be also caused by water on road. I'll check them.
thank you for your answers
yarismo is offline   Reply With Quote