Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-28-2010, 08:16 PM   #19
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
They tried this on Mythbusters, it does'nt work.....

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:39 PM   #20
Lucas13

Drives: 07 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laraid View Post
Can anyone show me how to open my Yaris without keys? I have tried inserting a thin metal bar between the windows but haven't been able to open it. Images would be welcomed. Thanks
I suggest keeping a hidden key in a magnetic box, putting it under the car where you feel no one will find it, it’s the cheapest and quickest way to resolve this type of troubles.
Lucas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:18 PM   #21
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
I know some people, not me, that keep a spare key in their wallet. Now this would be
a key that has no big plastic on the end. Not sure if it is the master spare or if they
had one cut specifically. I should ask them. They are the type that would
take it out of the ignition and set it on the passenger seat while they
rummaged through something or picked something off the back seat, then
get out and lock the door. Just as they closed it, they realized what they
did.

I personally carry both sets of keys with me. It does make for some discomfort at times,
depending on what you are wearing.
So, I have considered the flat spare key idea.
This goes back to when I was doing field service work several years ago, and was using
my own car. I was 110 miles from home and locked myself out.
Not a good feeling.
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:44 PM   #22
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revsson View Post
I know some people, not me, that keep a spare key in their wallet. Now this would be
a key that has no big plastic on the end. Not sure if it is the master spare or if they
had one cut specifically. I should ask them. They are the type that would
take it out of the ignition and set it on the passenger seat while they
rummaged through something or picked something off the back seat, then
get out and lock the door. Just as they closed it, they realized what they
did.

I personally carry both sets of keys with me. It does make for some discomfort at times,
depending on what you are wearing.
So, I have considered the flat spare key idea.
This goes back to when I was doing field service work several years ago, and was using
my own car. I was 110 miles from home and locked myself out.
Not a good feeling.
I keep a copy of my car key in my wallet. It wont start the car as it doesn't have the immobiliser chip, but it will let me open and lock the car. Comes in handy if your dumb enough to lock your keys in the car (I've never done it), but the main reason I have this key is I don't carry my personal keys when I'm at work and if I need to get something out the car in the car park I don't have to go to my locker to get my keys, I just use the key in my wallet.

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:32 AM   #23
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by *MAD DOG* View Post
I keep a copy of my car key in my wallet. It wont start the car as it doesn't have the immobiliser chip, but it will let me open and lock the car. Comes in handy if your dumb enough to lock your keys in the car (I've never done it), but the main reason I have this key is I don't carry my personal keys when I'm at work and if I need to get something out the car in the car park I don't have to go to my locker to get my keys, I just use the key in my wallet.
That's a good idea.
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:26 AM   #24
shinlee

Drives: 07 liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxmike View Post
That's *IF* you were'nt cheap and bought the power package.
uh... not everyone is cheap, but rather economy minded...

but there is a reason the car comes with 3 keys, keep one for your key chain, one for your wallet, and a last resort one with a trusted family member to bail ya out in dire straights
Old 07-30-2010, 09:10 AM   #25
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
My 2001 ECHO came with a special plastic flat key made to keep in a wallet for just such emergencies. Problem: I dont have a wallet.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:44 AM   #26
Lorenzo1950

Drives: 2010 5 door Hatchback
I miss the olden days when all you needed to do was carry a spare coat hanger.
What has gone wrong with the world?

"Did you hear about the Polish guy who went looking for a coat hanger because his family was locked inside the car?"
--- Rodney Dangerfield
Lorenzo1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:13 PM   #27
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas13 View Post
I suggest keeping a hidden key in a magnetic box, putting it under the car where you feel no one will find it, it’s the cheapest and quickest way to resolve this type of troubles.
I suggest NOT doing that. That is the first place they're gonna look. The trick is so old, just about everybody knows about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MAD DOG* View Post
This ^ I think is a better idea. AAA used to make them and I carried one for the longest time in my wallet. I think I'll have one redone. Of course it won't help if you leave your wallet or your purse in the car, but now why would anyone want to do that nowadays.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:51 PM   #28
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
As recently as four months ago I saw a guy looking into the wheel wells of all the cars parked along a road behind a row of hangars. I told airport security and the guy bounced.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:55 PM   #29
Gr8ful_Ken

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5 door
Insurance companies and cell phone companies often let you purchase roadside/lockout assistance for much less than AAA. I think mine through state farm is less than a dollar a month.
Gr8ful_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:56 AM   #30
Lucas13

Drives: 07 Yaris LB
Tomato,

There is a problem if you tell everybody... It’s supposed to be a secret!
Lucas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:35 AM   #31
Red Horse

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan A/T
Swallow your spare key so if you lock your self out, go to the nearest bathroom or bushes then after you open it, swallow it again.

Red Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:00 AM   #32
jetski99
I've made a post!

Drives: 2002 IST
Got it open. Thanks.

So I used these comments in this thread to guide me to get into my I.S.T. which had both sets of keys locked inside! I could not call AAA because I was in a small town in Mozambique. I got the local mechanics to come help and they came with a screw driver and heafty hangerlike thing. With the screw driver, they pried open the door at the very top above the window. They stuck the wire in and pressed the unlock button. I decided to get back on here and tell my story because I would have liked to have know this:

It is not that hard to pry the door open at the top.
It helps to use a wood wedge once you have pried it a bit open so you can move around your wire easily to get to the button.
If you use some thing metal, wrap something around it so it doesn't scratch your paint.

Luckily, I did not break the window. The guys from the shop just wanted "cold drink money" so I gave them $1.5 each. I guess there are some advantages to being off the beaten track.
jetski99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 12:17 PM   #33
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Here is my personal solution to this problem. Which may not work for a lot of people but definitely WOULD work in a lot of areas.

I keep nothing in the car that could be stolen and NEVER lock the doors. This is going on the assumption that no one would want to steal a Yaris and that if the thieves don't see anything they want in the car they wont break in. And if they DO steal it Im insured.

Someone did enter the car and searched it for valuables last winter but, there being nothing to steal, got nothing. They could have found a credit card had they looked in the drivers side glove box as I inadvertently left one in there.

But apparently they didn't know the Yaris has a drivers side glove box because they didn't take the card!

YAY!

Last edited by bronsin; 12-02-2014 at 03:56 PM.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:28 AM   #34
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
There is an even easier answer, carry a copy of your key taped in your wallet. That way you will always have it if you lock it. I've lost so many keys and locked myself a few times. No idea why, but this car hates me having the right keys.

Also I've found some locksmiths are horrific at getting into new cars, while others can do it in minutes flat. Had one that took 20 minutes because of the way our locks are shaped, had another do it in 2 because he knew what he was doing.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:28 PM   #35
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
My car key is never attached to my home keys. So I always carry the valet key with my home keys that are always in my pocket/jacket, so I know I still can get in with the valet key if I happen to lock myself out.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:51 PM   #36
Jlively
Mr J.

Drives: 2009 yaris 5 dr HB
Send a message via AIM to Jlively
I keep to much stuff in my wallet to add a key to it lol, I have found that aluminum door kicker panels work pretty well since they are flat. Rather easy to bend it to the desired shape to reach the lock from the top of the door and keep it handy with a good sized flat head screwdriver. If your worried about the paint put a folded up rag under the screwdriver and use it to pry the door open just slighty. The kick panel is barely 1/4 inch thick so it doesnt need much room helping to eliminate any chances of bending the door or the hinges. I used to keep a pre bent one at work *which is where I locked my keys in the most* and one at home in case I did it there lol. Even used them to help out a couple other people at work from time to time.
You can pick up the kick panels from walmart rather cheap and most people have screwdrivers laying around all over. Saved me a ton of money each time vs calling a locksmith, if done right the kick panel wont bend more than you bent it to and you can just stash it back away and keep it for another rainy day.
Jlively is offline   Reply With Quote