Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-08-2019, 04:27 PM   #1
seatech30

Drives: Yaris 2008 Sedan
Question Bought a used yaris, now to get it back into shape, need some feedback. [LONG POST]

Hello Everyone,

I recently found a yaris 101k miles on it, and took a look. I checked the shocks, breaks were spongy (figured, I could fix this, already did,) checked all the fluid levels, ran the car on the freeway, it actually seemed peppier than my original yaris (262k now). Both are 2008 AT base sedans.

Anyways, things I missed were the coolant, gas pump, front bumper, transmission rattle and behind back seat modelings:

_____Coolant_____
The coolant was green, I didn't want to pop open the coolant cap because it was under pressure when I took a look at the car. I've already emptied out the green stuff out. Used an extra 3 quarts of distilled water during the draining to "flush" it out a bit better. I undid the radiator drain cock and the block drain cock, I ran the extra distilled water through each of these, as well as through the reservoir tank. Let it all drip out. I recovered 4 quarts plus the 3 quarts of distilled water, 7 quarts total came out. Which means either there's 1 quart still in there or the system was not filled to spec, 5 quarts. I closed the radiator drain cock, put in distilled water till it came out the block drain cock, closed that one up, then filled it all up with distilled only. I ran the car in idle at 2500 rpm for about 20mins, till it reached around 205F. I wasn't sure what temperature the fan come on (another thing I forgot to check before buying) but thankfully I was logging with torque, and it shows the temp dip after reaching 205F, I must have missed the fan turn on. This is the same temp my original yaris turns the fan on at too, double checked afterwards.

I plan to drain the distilled water once it cools off. My plan is to refill with distilled water again and use a Prestone flush+ cleaner, run it for a while, then drain that out, and do another distilled water only fill again. After I drain this one out, if there's any hint of green, I'm planning to do a second Prestone flush+ cleaner (bought two) then another drain and fill with distilled again, and finally drain and fill with toyota LLC. Is this overkill? Has anyone used the Prestone flush+ cleaner on their yaris, I was unable to find anything on this?

_____Gas pump_____
When I took off the back seat to take a look, I noticed the cap/lid that hides the gas pump, was not properly seated. I'm hoping this is a matter of loosening the gas pump, and positioning in a different (correct) way then tightening back on, so the lid can sit properly. Any ideas on this? I can take a picture if needed.

______Front bumper_____
Completely missed that the front bumper was missing the bottom scrape guards, and one of the bottom covers under the radiator. The bottom of the actual bumper plastic has signs of semi-deep yellow scrapes. I'm assuming they drove onto a parking bump or curve rather aggressively.

______Transmission rattle_______
The reason I was searching for another yaris if because my car has had a vibration issue for the longest time since 130k miles or so. When I test drove the car, it didn't vibrate at all. As soon as, I drove it off after paying and filling all papers, it was vibrating, thankfully not as bad as my original. I plan to do all 3 motor mounts and hope that this will sufficiently dampen the vibration.

______Behind the seat back moldings______
The moldings were apparently removed at some point and not reinstalled properly. I'm assuming this a bad sign that something was changed, belts? I took the time and trouble to take all the moldings off and install them correctly. Didn't see anything amiss.

______Engine oil_______
I noticed the engine had more deposits than mine, and it was also overfilled. I plan to do a fuel cleaner, and maybe an engine oil cleaner additive? I need to research the latter more. I already drained the oil out and filled in with synthetic 5-30, I plan to redo at 3-5K miles. I plan to do the engine cleaners maybe 100 miles before I do the next oil change. Any feedback on this would be great.

This is my first time buying a used car, and all in all I can say I failed quite hard, missed too many issues, and overpaid. Hopefully the car doesn't have any severe issues.

Some things I've already taken care of:
One of the rear breaks adjusting hardware was incorrectly installed, basically running with 3 brakes. Decided to clean these out completely and reapply brake grease. Readjusted and brakes work perfect now.
Checked spark plugs, some deposits on the threads, cleaned up, regapped to 0.044ish applied anti seize, retorqued.
Engine oil changed.

Sorry for the long post, and I greatly appreciate anyone who takes the time to read through it. I welcome any feedback on any of the topics above, or if I should split this post into multiple posts, let me know.
seatech30 is offline   Reply With Quote