Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 11-23-2008, 09:44 PM   #1
icantfeelmyface

Drives: 2008 Sedan
Do I need to get an alignment?

Hi guys I just switched from 17" to my 15" winter set. Do I need to get an alignment? If so would i need to get it done everytime I switch from 17" to 15"?
icantfeelmyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:20 PM   #2
simonwiley

Drives: 2007 Yaris 2dr HB
You shouldn't need an alignment if all of your 17" tire sizes match, and your 15" tire sizes match, as well as both sets of rim widths. Changing all the tires, as long as the set of tires are all the same size, should not affect your alignment. I hope that all makes sense. PM me if you have any questions.
simonwiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:17 AM   #3
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Doesn't matter what size wheel or tire you put on the car, it doesn't change the alignment or the alignment requirements.

No, you don't need to get an alignment.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:24 PM   #4
simonwiley

Drives: 2007 Yaris 2dr HB
yes it does, if you run... say 205/40/17 on the front and 215/35R17 on the back, and for the winter you run 185/XXR15 all the way around, then yes you do need an alignment due to the fact that the difference in tire size will affect your camber/ caster. So it does matter. It may not make enough of a difference in your alignment to be concerned about it, but to be correct it needs an alignment in that situation. Now if you run 205/40R17 all the way around on one set of rims, and 185/60R15 on the other set, then there is absolutly no reason to get an alignment because the tires being a matching set will not affect any of your alignment geometry. You may flame me because I'm the new guy, but I am a ASE Master Tech, and I work as a Senior Mechanic for the State.
simonwiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:46 PM   #5
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Not gonna flame you.

Not gonna agree with you, but not gonna flame you.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:54 PM   #6
Chupacabra
Banned

Drives: 2009 Yaris liftback
You would only need an alignment if you custom calibrated your "current" alignment to work with a certain configuration of wheel/tire. Aside from that...I don't see a reason.
Chupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:38 AM   #7
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Another vote for no alignment needed...
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:57 AM   #8
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
Not gonna flame you.

Not gonna agree with you, but not gonna flame you.
I'll do it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonwiley View Post
yes it does, if you run... say 205/40/17 on the front and 215/35R17 on the back, and for the winter you run 185/XXR15 all the way around, then yes you do need an alignment due to the fact that the difference in tire size will affect your camber/ caster. So it does matter. It may not make enough of a difference in your alignment to be concerned about it, but to be correct it needs an alignment in that situation. Now if you run 205/40R17 all the way around on one set of rims, and 185/60R15 on the other set, then there is absolutly no reason to get an alignment because the tires being a matching set will not affect any of your alignment geometry. You may flame me because I'm the new guy, but I am a ASE Master Tech, and I work as a Senior Mechanic for the State.
You've got to be kidding me. How the crazy does your camber AND/OR caster change if you're just getting bigger tire diameter?

Does your camber AND/OR caster change when you run the car up on a ramp? Because thats technically what you're doing.... dang. I'll stop. This is going to get stupid.

Tires do not effect camber and caster. Camber and caster effects tires. Unless you've got some TOO MUCH GRIP status, and causes those bolts to get loose, some how.

Are you truly a ASE Master Tech?

I felt myself getting pulled hard into this one...
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:01 AM   #9
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
Doesn't matter what size wheel or tire you put on the car, it doesn't change the alignment or the alignment requirements.

No, you don't need to get an alignment.
Actually, I just thought of a situation. Say you lifted the rear of your car about 20 feet into the air. Lets also assume the Yaris is 21 feet long. Now, all that weight towards the front would cause some SRUSLY weighed down springs. Which would effect geometry.

But getting back on topic, no, you don't need an alignment.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote