Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-16-2011, 07:58 AM   #37
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemachine69 View Post
Mechanically, my Sunfire was perfect for the three-ish years I drove it. I killed an ABS sensor, but that was my own fault for using a super-pressure-washer on my alloy rims.

I should add, I've had other major failures on this car. If you go to True Delta auto reliability surveys, you'll notice my Yaris consists of about 90% of the mechanical issues.
OK maybe you just got a bad Yaris and your particular Yaris does indeed suck,however dont paint all Yaris with the same brush as the majority are long lived reliable and economical little commuters..
If your car is as unreliable as you claim i'd trade it for something else.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:52 AM   #38
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Mechanically, my Sunfire was perfect for the three-ish years I drove it. I killed an ABS sensor, but that was my own fault for using a super-pressure-washer on my alloy rims.

I should add, I've had other major failures on this car. If you go to True Delta auto reliability surveys, you'll notice my Yaris consists of about 90% of the mechanical issues.
Do you know that there are Yaris's with over 400,000 miles with virtually no repairs? The Yaris is the most reliable car ever made.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:59 AM   #39
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby View Post
lollerz!

you just won +1 internets
I always do it's the interwebz
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:01 AM   #40
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
Do you know that there are Yaris's with over 400,000 miles with virtually no repairs? The Yaris is the most reliable car ever made.
This.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:24 AM   #41
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
No wonder there's low member activity due to the nasty replies .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:41 PM   #42
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
No wonder there's low member activity due to the nasty replies .
You're bound to get less then friendly replies when you entitle a thread "The Yaris Sucks" and it turns out it's because of an extremely rare broken belt. A part that has no more to do with the Yaris's engineering than the tires.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:00 PM   #43
jekqmb
Local Sh*t Disturber

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB
Now do you guys see where im coming from??? hahaha
Cars have problems, fix them and move on, no need to say a car brand sucks though when a lot of others enjoy their cars and dont have any problems....
Old 10-17-2011, 04:23 PM   #44
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
78K on all original parts everything's still running just fine so far.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:34 PM   #45
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBack View Post
You can do it !!!! Lol
Old 10-17-2011, 04:54 PM   #46
jekqmb
Local Sh*t Disturber

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBack View Post
Better knock on some wood! lol
Old 10-17-2011, 05:08 PM   #47
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
You're bound to get less then friendly replies when you entitle a thread "The Yaris Sucks" and it turns out it's because of an extremely rare broken belt. A part that has no more to do with the Yaris's engineering than the tires.

+1,000,000,000

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:51 PM   #48
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpmanYaris View Post
You can do it !!!! Lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by jekqmb View Post
Better knock on some wood! lol
Hell yeah, I'm still running on the original oil and filter too! *tries to keep a straight face*

But yeah, 78K is nothing compared to that one guy that used to be one here a long time ago that got to 400K with no repairs. Bet his odo is back to zero by now lol.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:44 PM   #49
paperboy

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5 Door Hatch
the yaris is so simple under the hood that even a mook like me can maintain one without spending a penny on service at the shop

that alone is golden
paperboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:02 PM   #50
paperboy

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5 Door Hatch
Quote:
Right. I only tore apart (and rebuilt) the last engine in my last car. But like hell I know what I'm talking about, right?
not much apparently.

you're claiming a car that has received worldwide praise across the board for quality 'sucks'

i researched the class for about 2-3 weeks before I decided on the Yaris. It was between the Versa, Yaris, Fit (if I could find one I could afford), Aveo and Accent.

The Yaris was the clear winner with the Fit out-pricing itself or it would have won.

My conclusion from test drives and a little independent research mirrored that of the expert reviews.

Your conclusion puts you in a group of 1 who thinks the Yaris 'sucks' because it doesn't have one feature you like on the belt.

i came to my conclusion through research and personal experience. you came to yours because you had to spend a little cash on a repair and that got you all grrrrrmad in the pants
paperboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #51
galactus

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
Not to bring up an old thread, but my Yaris now has 120,000 miles and still has the original serpentine belt. No, I have not adjusted it every oil change. Reading this thread is the first I have heard of this.
Yes, it could go anytime, but I spray it with dressing every oil change. Perhaps that has helped. I have never changed a serpentine on this car, but it looks like a bitch. The sideways engine is practically against the fender well.
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #52
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
I honestly do not know. I have just noticed this after working on cars for a while. Noted that not ALL "V" motors have those type. My girls Xterra has 3 belts for each accessory and each has a separate adjustable tensioner.

Its mostly the serpentine belts that connect all accessories (A/C comp, P/S pump, and alt.) have the spring loaded tensioner.

I have only had to tighten my belt one time after replacing it on any car. As CTscott says, usually a week after replacing when the belt finally stretches to its limits. I just examine the belt during oil changes to see if it starting to dry rot. Then I would consider changing it, not tighten it more.
^^^^^This. I've replaced my serpentine belt once (at 207-208k) and it slipped a few days after installation. I took it back and the shop made an adjustment for free. It has been fine ever since.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:49 AM   #53
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
I honestly do not know. I have just noticed this after working on cars for a while. Noted that not ALL "V" motors have those type. My girls Xterra has 3 belts for each accessory and each has a separate adjustable tensioner.

Its mostly the serpentine belts that connect all accessories (A/C comp, P/S pump, and alt.) have the spring loaded tensioner.

I have only had to tighten my belt one time after replacing it on any car. As CTscott says, usually a week after replacing when the belt finally stretches to its limits. I just examine the belt during oil changes to see if it starting to dry rot. Then I would consider changing it, not tighten it more.

I think part of the problem is that the engine is transverse and the amount of open area to work on the belt and other components is very limited. Us old timers have a long history of busted knuckles from doing work back with the V8 was almost standard and we had plenty of room.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:43 AM   #54
Fidelio
EcoFriendly

Drives: 2007 Vitz HB
Yea unless the belt isn't gripping to the pulleys or its making unusual noises service it otherwise most of the time you don't need to readjust it after the second time. I ride sport bikes and I rarely have to adjust the chain; comparing the same concept. I mainly compress the slack on the belt to see how tight or loose it is.
Fidelio is offline   Reply With Quote