Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-17-2012, 11:19 PM   #37
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Yet another 14 hours down today.

Perhaps it is time to copy all of the good info out of here, before the day comes that it just doesn't come back up...
This.

Also I'm willing to believe it's gonna take someone with aggressive loan-shark skills to negotiate with the Bueller to buy the site out and become a more reliable admin. And I say this because some of us are dealing with serious situations and need a dependable board that can help us get our problems solved. Isn't that one of the reasons why it's even here in the first place?

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:20 PM   #38
matthewai

Drives: it is kinda stock
guys for me its been down for about 3 days now . not down but taking way to long to load pages. but it is working on my wii, good old opera haha. how bout instead of that boat we elect new mods bahajha
ps i clicked this out wii remote status
matthewai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:35 PM   #39
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAV912 View Post
I thought it was just me. I couldn't get on from my computer at home. Then I started noticing that the site wouldn't load on my phone either.

I've used this site's knowledge for many how-tos on my car and there really are some valuable members that are extremely knowledgable and have helped me and many others with mods and fixes. Scott, Garm...Derek's a local homie to me...shame the nozzle who owns this place probably hasn't been on here since re-instating it.

Site Owner/Admin: Get the shit fixed. Then sell the site. Before one of us buys out a domain name (YarisUniverse, WorldYaris, Yarisite) and puts the final nail in the coffin of this quickly-turned-dump of a place.

-C

There's already a good alternative with the MicroImage forum.

This forum still picks up more international users and new people, which is what keeps things interesting here for me, but the reason they end up here instead of there is that this site has a higher search engine rating. That search engine rating is what keeps money flowing for the site owners without them having to be active participants.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:12 AM   #40
matthewai

Drives: it is kinda stock
i think its only out during the day time for me actually
matthewai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:22 AM   #41
scene

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris 1.5L, 4D
it just takes a really long time to load each page ~_~
scene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:30 AM   #42
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
It was down for about 14 hours. So frustrating.

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:25 AM   #43
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
MI really deserves everyone's support. The community over there is awesome, and it is cool to hear from owners of other micro's as well.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #44
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
MI really deserves everyone's support. The community over there is awesome, and it is cool to hear from owners of other micro's as well.
Agreed. I think some people have an issue with a vendor based forum, but I fell that Garm does (and has done) a lot more for the Yaris community than just try to sell his goods.

I personally am going to put forth a significant effort to add as much content as I can to promote the the Micro Image forum to help increase its search engine standing.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #45
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
I also agree. I think this site should just be ditched tbh. I can't think of any other community where the mods are so inactive and the admins are nonexistent.

If we did move exclusively to MI, it would be great if a lot of threads on this site could be moved over and put in an archive.
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:30 PM   #46
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
Also as per the outages, it looks more and more like a persistent DoS attack,by a certain recently banned member who has the infrastructure to do so, even though no real skills are necessary to pull it off.
I actually called the hosting site for this forum, while it was down this week, to see if they could do something about it, if it was indeed a DoS attack. I was told that they have the ability to take care of it, if that is indeed the cause, but that the owner of the site needs to contact them to do so. Once the site was back up, I PMed one of the owners about this and did not receive a response. The next day the same issue occurred.

I understand that we are being hypocritical with this, but at the same time I think that the owners need to either step up, or sell the forum to someone who actually cares about it.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:39 PM   #47
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I understand that, but as mods we can't do anything about the owners not responding.
Understood as well. I think that the mods here do as good of a job as they are able to. Particularly with people like you, who don't even have a Yaris anymore, yet still do the job.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:24 PM   #48
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
how can you blame people for jumping ship? The community that sustained this website is mostly gone, it just happens, 1 at a time, till all the "usual" posters are either busy with other things or other forums. No forum is going to stay the same, especially when an owner of the forum has repeatedly proven he just doesn't care.

So don't cop an attitude at reality, it is just plain stupid. You're a pretty good person, but that little tantrum isn't going to make anyone stay. There is a time to fight for things and a time to give up. When this site was hacked and all those many posts lost that was the end of this forum. Nothing you or anyone else can do about it.

I'd be shocked if a majority of the old posters still even own a yaris. it's been years.

I've seen plenty of forums die. Just like this one there is almost no one new coming in, and one by one all the old ones get busy with something else.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:32 PM   #49
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I keep saying that I wish the Mods were promoted and some were made Admins. So just to be clear that none of this is coming from me. I've been 100% supportive of this site with my time, my money, and my appreciation for the Mods' efforts. I could make a pretty damn good argument that I shouldn't have, after the way Bueller treated me after the hack. But I don't roll that way.

With that said, I built Micro Image to represent all small cars, have relevant content and have 100% uptime if possible. I have dedicated a server to just the one site. Nothing wrong with offering an alternative. YW dominates for the one car it represents.

Quote:
which BTW has the same level of activity during WINTER months.
Not sure what this means, PK?

and yes -- you are spot on about the DoS origin -- we've taken steps to protect our side. I wish I could help here.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:52 PM   #50
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ That's because of all you Canadians on the site!
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:53 PM   #51
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
Quote:
You realize that the hack was about 3 years ago, and the forum didn't really suffer as much as you claim it did.
Are you SERIOUS??!? This makes me really mad. That hack lost SOOOO much information, passion, time, love, dedication... a plethora of insight and creativity that is now lost forever.

The site just wasn't the same after that. Nowhere near. Many of us old-schoolers feel that way, I guarantee you.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:07 PM   #52
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
Nah, man... just saying, don't trivialize that 8 month loss.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:15 PM   #53
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
lol
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:16 PM   #54
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Zaius View Post
Are you SERIOUS??!? This makes me really mad. That hack lost SOOOO much information, passion, time, love, dedication... a plethora of insight and creativity that is now lost forever.

The site just wasn't the same after that. Nowhere near. Many of us old-schoolers feel that way, I guarantee you.
I agree with you. This site has slid into oblivion since the hack. But I still remain here as I still want to be. Even though I don't own a Yaris anymore.

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote