Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-11-2018, 05:28 AM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Parkinson’s and the homemade Cruise control

Sometime ago I installed the freelance cruise control I found on this were the website. Now that I have Parkinson’s it’s come in handy! Parkinson’s is a gradual disconnect of the brain from the body. I think I’ve had it for about seven years ago I was just recently diagnosed. I have what’s called lead pipe rigidity in my feet which is slowly spreading up my legs. At times my feet become stiff, horribly cramped, and difficult to make work. It’s hard to moderate the gas pedal at times . However with the four momentary switches in the home made speed control I can Control the gas pedal with my fingers. Sort of like flying an airplane with the trim tabs.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:41 AM   #2
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Please show pics, bronsin. I love any 'engineered' automotive component!

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:56 AM   #3
bronsin

I’ll do a pic in a few minutes but you can do a search of this excellent website and find the actual procedure to install one on certain year Yaris

Site refuses to upload a 1600x1200 file so I cant post a pic unless I get some help

Last edited by bronsin; 01-11-2018 at 11:40 AM.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:26 AM   #4
bairjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Sometime ago I installed the freelance cruise control I found on this were the website. Now that I have Parkinson’s it’s come in handy! Parkinson’s is a gradual disconnect of the brain from the body. I think I’ve had it for about seven years ago I was just recently diagnosed. I have what’s called lead pipe rigidity in my feet which is slowly spreading up my legs. At times my feet become stiff, horribly cramped, and difficult to make work. It’s hard to moderate the gas pedal at times . However with the four momentary switches in the home made speed control I can Control the gas pedal with my fingers. Sort of like flying an airplane with the trim tabs.
Have you looked into how your insurance company views this mod. In other words, will they cover an accident claim if this thing is being used? Just something to consider....
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:41 AM   #5
bronsin

That would suck if they did that but practically they’re not going to know about it.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:23 AM   #6
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
I'm assuming you don't ride your bike anymore, do you Bronsin?
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:59 PM   #7
bronsin

No that was a Honda ST 1300 eventually I was on able to throw my leg over the saddle or get my leg bag off at saddle to get off. But i’m looking at a vesper which would be a lot easier to get on and off. Interestingly although Parkinson’s people can have trouble walking they can do things like ride a bicycle. It’s when you think about what you’re going to do that you have trouble. Unconscious Or routine movements can sometimes easily be done.

Also interestingly although you have the shakes you don’t have them at night when you sleep. I don’t shake much at all at home but look out when I go to the doctor! Are used to repair circuit boards under microscope which requires a steady hand. I just fixed the circuitboard on my 20-year-old Walkman with very crude equipment compare to what I’m used to. When actually working you don’t have tremors you only have tremors when at rest.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:11 PM   #8
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
No that was a Honda ST 1300 eventually I was on able to throw my leg over the saddle or get my leg bag off at saddle to get off. But i’m looking at a vesper which would be a lot easier to get on and off. Interestingly although Parkinson’s people can have trouble walking they can do things like ride a bicycle. It’s when you think about what you’re going to do that you have trouble. Unconscious Or routine movements can sometimes easily be done.

Also interestingly although you have the shakes you don’t have them at night when you sleep. I don’t shake much at all at home but look out when I go to the doctor! Are used to repair circuit boards under microscope which requires a steady hand. I just fixed the circuitboard on my 20-year-old Walkman with very crude equipment compare to what I’m used to. When actually working you don’t have tremors you only have tremors when at rest.
Very interesting. I never knew that.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 02:27 PM   #9
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
Very interesting. I never knew that.
+1

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote