Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-14-2015, 11:41 AM   #613
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
Its been quite a long time since I AutoXed but I took the race car out, and let it stretch its legs a little. Gearing is kinda wrong, so I had to used 3rd quite a few times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-m8SfVdpbc
Old 07-14-2015, 03:03 PM   #614
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Drives: That Scrappy 2zrVios
Nice! Im assuming street tires from all the wheel spin...lol.
ArmstrongRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:02 PM   #615
Ben_

Drives: 2010 Yaris Hatch
Attended my first national event a few weeks ago. Match tour not pro solo. I found it very unfun. Especially competing against 2 drivers in a fiesta st. I ended up 5th place behind the 2 st drivers, a vet in a crx, and a local guy I compete with in an accord

Short story I have more fun at local events where fun>winning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ben_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:43 AM   #616
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
All those cars are in either STS or STX. Fiesta ST is a STX and the crx is in STS with other miata's

I am confused.

I love national events because of the people there and you really get to see where you stand and how much improvement you need to do.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:10 PM   #617
Ben_

Street class I don't run stf. Couldn't short the bills and it turns out that was a good move trying for a second car to race with the Yaris is just too damn slow. Parts are cheaper for some other cars, so for the money I would have spent on parts could have a better end result with the same money in a different car

Old 07-16-2015, 09:13 PM   #618
Ben_

I got smeared by 3.5 seconds by the fiesta. Look up the results for Farmington Utah match tour. Me and Brian in the accord usually are stiff competition at local events depending on the corse/day. So we got sweeped by the out of town ers. The guy in the crx was a fully prepped car and previous national champion

Old 07-16-2015, 09:22 PM   #619
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_ View Post
Attended my first national event a few weeks ago. Match tour not pro solo. I found it very unfun. Especially competing against 2 drivers in a fiesta st. I ended up 5th place behind the 2 st drivers, a vet in a crx, and a local guy I compete with in an accord

Short story I have more fun at local events where fun>winning

I am confused by your description... Is it only fun when you win, or when you think you are competitive because no fast guys showed up? Natl events are the ONLY way to measure where you stand.

How did them wiping the floor with you make your driving experience any less fun? It should have only had an impact on your fun level if you were concerned with the results.

Harnish is fast, but he has the wrong car for HS, just as you do.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:35 PM   #620
Ben_

I've even thought the same thing myself. Playing under dog is an interesting position. Being a uncompetitive unprepared car in the lowest class makes things very interesting sometimes. I've come to expect that I will be at least mildly competitive since I consider myself to be mildly seasoned with almost 40 events under my belt. It kinda takes the fun away when I don't even stand a chance of winning. I still had fun, yes, but did I have as much fun as I do at a local event? No

I asked the driver of the ST fiesta what he thought about his car being in hs and he told me this

I bought this car because I was driving a Porsche 911 gt-something and I wanted a car that was class competitive in street class. I bought this car when it was in GS knowing it was competitive in that class. When they moved it to HS in 2015 I was pleasantly surprised

I asked him if we switched cars would the outcome be the same? Would the fiesta win by 3~ seconds?

He said in your car I don't stand a chance.

We both had a similar amount of seat time. About 1.5 seasons

Old 07-16-2015, 10:07 PM   #621
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_ View Post
I've even thought the same thing myself. Playing under dog is an interesting position. Being a uncompetitive unprepared car in the lowest class makes things very interesting sometimes. I've come to expect that I will be at least mildly competitive since I consider myself to be mildly seasoned with almost 40 events under my belt. It kinda takes the fun away when I don't even stand a chance of winning. I still had fun, yes, but did I have as much fun as I do at a local event? No

I asked the driver of the ST fiesta what he thought about his car being in hs and he told me this

I bought this car because I was driving a Porsche 911 gt-something and I wanted a car that was class competitive in street class. I bought this car when it was in GS knowing it was competitive in that class. When they moved it to HS in 2015 I was pleasantly surprised

I asked him if we switched cars would the outcome be the same? Would the fiesta win by 3~ seconds?

He said in your car I don't stand a chance.

We both had a similar amount of seat time. About 1.5 seasons

40 events, 1.5 seasons... Still wet behind the ears, you still dont know what you dont know. Harnish would have likely been as fast in your car as the CRX.

Is the Fiesta fast for the class? Yes, but I doubt it beats the Mini at Natls in HS.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:18 AM   #622
ilikerice

Jason has valid points.. even if you did autocross once a month, thats still only little over 3 years. I been doing this for 8 years now and I am still learning things. I was able to place 1st place at Dixie National event back in March, but by the skin of my teeth. I love national events just for the fact i get to see where my skills have taken me.

Try going to STF with just some Good coil overs and tires... you will see where you stand then. STF is still a cheap class once you get past the the coil overs
Old 07-17-2015, 06:45 PM   #623
Ben_

Very true about my skills. I didn't even have a chance against the fiesta and I don't think I'll be doing any out of town national events. I do well at the local events and enjoy the competition factor which I didn't see at the national event. I wasn't the only one who felt this way. I also like the relaxed feel of local events. I'm told we have one of the most laid back chapters around the west and I love that

I had less fun at nationals because things were very serious. I love going to local events and just having fun with some healthy competition. I have met a lot of good friends and that is half the reason I go to events so often.

Old 07-20-2015, 04:43 PM   #624
Ben_

Either way I love competing locally and plan on buying a different cheaper car to mod, 240sx Miata or eg Honda. I love my Yaris, I will never sell it, but right now it just makes sense to own a second car for racing so I don't ruin my work transportation any more than I already have. The 240/Miata/eg Honda will be better for cheap somewhat competitive fun I'm thinking

Old 07-21-2015, 11:51 AM   #625
ilikerice

I guess National events in the South East are a bit more friendly. We usually try to get a group of us from our region to hit up a National tour or Match tour. We really try to push each other and help out with tips as much as we can. I probably talked to every person in STF class and became good friends and still keep in touch via facebook stilll. We even swap video's to compare.

You can't go to a national event not knowing anyone and just sit in your car after your run and expect people to flock to you. I see it all the time and those guys are usually the grumpy cats. You gotta talk to people, ask them what they are having difficulty with and share your experience about the course. Everyone wants to win, no doubt, esp when you got contengicies on the line, haha.

I also like to watch people prepare themselves before. It's intereting to see real competitive drivers get in themselves metally prepared. You can see it in people's eyes when they look out of a course and see that try to memorize every cone there.

Puts a smile on my face knowing we are all there for the same reason and there can only be 1 winner.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:20 PM   #626
Ben_

Scca is a very special thing. I'm glad to be a member and won't look back. Best thing that happened to me in the last year

Besides getting a job in the mining industry that would top it. But not by as much as I would have thought

Old 09-27-2015, 02:41 AM   #627
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Finally mounted my 225/45ZR15 Hankook RS3's and raced on them today. Hands down the best tire Ive tried so far. Took fist place today, but unfortunately I wont win the championship.....because I miss too many events lol. I like the track too much...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (147.4 KB, 32 views)
Old 09-27-2015, 07:41 PM   #628
Ben_

Nice! I got the new bridge stones on this weekend and I love them! I guess any new tire is a good one lol. Still have the wrong size I'm running 205s on stock width rims
Old 09-28-2015, 08:46 AM   #629
ilikerice

Im telling you. I went from 225 to 205. You don't want to mushroom the tires on rims with street tires.. You want a very slight stretch. Your tire response will improve. Street tire side walls flex too much unlike the Rcomps. I run 205 Rivals right now. The Rival S will be my new tires for next year though.

RS3 are amazing and I did great my first couple of years on them.. but when I switched this year before National tour at Dixie, I felt a better response in tires
Old 09-28-2015, 11:33 AM   #630
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Ive read the articles about tore fitment too, and they mention exactly what you said. With my 205 dunlops, the tire temps were within 2-3 degrees, ant the tire edges still wore off first. The 225 is big for a 7" wheel, but it feels amazing. Im going to dial in a bit more camber then check temps again....hopefully before Laguna