Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-02-2009, 11:51 PM   #1
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
DIY: Painting Engine Cover

Ok so i was wanting to paint my engine cover just for fun but couldn't find a DIY on YW. So i went searching and found this one just in case there are others as clueless as me. and if you have a better way or think this way is incorrect please post reply.

This should cover everything i did to paint my engine covers. Hope this helps everyone

***How to paint your engine covers***

Parts needed:

1200 grit wet sand paper
2-3 cans of heat resistant paint
1-2 can of heat resistant clear coat
1 can of paint thinner
1 roll of pin stripe tape (your color choice)
1 Paint marker (your color choice)

1) Start by taking off the panels you want to paint. For the valve covers, there are 2 round plastic covers that hides a 10mm bolt. 2 valve cover = 4 bolts total. Every other panel should be pretty self explanatory on how it comes off.

2) After taking them off, clean them thoroughly with soap and water. After it is 100% clean, free of dirt, oil etc……. use the 1200 grit wet sand paper and sand it down. Use a lot of water to help you do this process (hence wet sanding). Lightly sand it down until the surface feels nice and smooth. All your doing in this process is 1) cleaning the surface and getting rid of any imperfections and 2) taking off any clear coat/waxy substance that will cause the paint to not stick properly so take you time!! 3) your microscopically “scratching” up the surface giving the paint more surface area to bite. I can’t say enough how important prepping the surface is. If you take short cuts then risk the whole job coming out like crap. Oil, dirt, etc….don’t mix well with paint.

3) Ok, after your completely done cleaning all the parts you need to make sure they are 100% dry. Shake it, use a blow dryer etc… whatever it takes. The main idea here is 1) Zero water on the panels and 2) keeping the surface clean. Obviously if your hands is all greased up and dirty, you shouldn’t touch the parts to be painted. Word of advice, although you may not see the water it doesn’t mean its not there. It maybe trapped in some corner and when you use the compressed spray can to paint, BOOM! Water comes out of nowhere ruining it. If that’s the case. You’ll have to start all over with that piece so make sure its COMPLETELY DRY!!!

4) As a added precaution, I even used a clean cloth and wiped it down with paint thinner to make sure it’s clean and completely dry (paint thinner dries quick!) After that, I used a hair dryer to blow off any lint that maybe stuck on the surface.

5) Now all your parts should be ready to be painted. On the valve covers, the “BMW” and the stripes, you can either use the roll of pin stripe tape to mask it off or just paint it, then use the pin stripe tape to color it back after your done. I painted all my covers silver and then it was dry, I used black pin stripe tape for the stripes and a black paint marker to color it back in for the contrast. This part I leave up to your own imagination as to what you want.

6) Things that needs to be masked is masked so now painting. Find a nice open area to place all your panel at. You can either do one at a time, all at a time, the choice is yours. I did mines in two “sessions” Make sure the area isn’t dirty, dusty or has anything that might fall on the wet paint.

7) Shake the can following the manufactures directions. Now your ready for the fun part! Spray the color paint about 6-10 inches away from the panel in a fluid back and forth sweeping motion with a VERY LIGHT MIST COAT!!!. If your really new at this, buy an extra can of paint and spray it even further way like 10-12 inches. The key is the first coat is a very very very light coat of paint. It should only cover the panel like a light mist of color. Let that first base coat dry for 10 mins. Now for the second coat. Keep the same fluid back and forth motion and gradually add more coats leaving about 5mins in-between coats. You figure to break it up into 15% at a time while gradually covering 100% of the panel. Remember, its a lot safer and better to do a lot of coats so don’t be too aggressive and try to cover the panel all up in paint one shot. I don’t work that way. The paint will drip and look like a mess if you apply too thick of a coat. You hand should NEVER stay at one spot!!! Always should be moving back and forth. If you notice the paint looks a little thick and wants to drip, HIT the BRAKES and stop! Give it a 10-15min wait and be very careful with that particular area. Uniform light coats is the key here.

8) After all your panels are painted, give it about 20-30mins to dry then apply the clear coat. 2-3 coats of the clear coat is enough. Its not as hard as spraying the paint. Again, allow about 10mins in-between coats and as always with painting, light fluid side-to-side movements at all time or it will drip.

9) Allow it to dry for a few hours and when its completely dry to touch, use some car polish and buff it up real good and it will look all nice and shiny =)
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:32 AM   #2
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
What you mean i got too read the WHOLE write up ,
Wheres the pictures for us illiterate ones .

Last edited by 1NZYaris1; 04-03-2009 at 12:52 AM.
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:37 AM   #3
jinxor

Drives: Yaris 3dr YRS
nice writeup... especially the part teaching a nub like me that dont rush into covering the whole area in one go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom play View Post
they look in and i tell them "come on man, its stock, its slow, look its ricy as fuck, look at the fur, im a ricer man"
jinxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:29 AM   #4
ka0sx

Drives: bone f*ing stock
if someone took pics with the process and posted them step by step, it would make this perfect
ka0sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:35 AM   #5
frownonfun

whenever i find some high temp orange i'll do this and take some pics
Old 04-04-2009, 12:53 AM   #6
frownonfun

well... i did it... sort of. i don't know how useful my step by step pics are gonna be because frankly i don't think it turned out all that well.

this was a two part project. one i needed a new bracket for my battery cause the original i made looked like crap. and two i was to paint both the bracket and engine cover to match.

so first off i built the bracket out of some strap and angle iron. then i went out and found some 1000grit and 1500grit sandpaper, chrysler orange engine paint, and painters tape.

primed and painted the bracket first to get it out of the way.

then, on the engine cover, i taped off the area i wanted to paint and first started sanding with the 1500 grit paper for a while. it didn't seem to be doing much but then again i'm new at this so i wasn't exactly sure what i was looking for. but anyway i then used the 1000 grit and spent a good 45 minutes to an hour sanding with that. it seemed about as sanded as it was gonna get with the sandpaper i had so i went ahead and cleaned it off real well and moved on to painting.

i tried to start real light at first and everything was looking good but the more coats i put on the more the paint started to clump. that's not really the word i'm looking for but basically it was going on ok it just wasn't very smooth in the least. little bits of tiny tiny paint clumps. i wasn't waiting that long between coats either so i'm not sure what i was or wasn't doing. but eventually i had what i felt like was enough paint on there and let it dry for several hours. the tiny paint clumps or flakes that i was talking about came off pretty easily by just lightly brushing the surface with my fingers but the paint was still very rough. and maybe it's supposed to be idk.

anyway i was getting really eager to just have this thing done already so i went ahead and pulled off the tape. now in the DIY the guy doesn't mention any primer but i'm thinking i really should have applied it first because the paint seemed like it was easily gonna peel right off the surface of the cover. i thought maybe with the sanding it would give the paint enough to cling to but i'm not so sure.

well anyway it didn't come out bad but i'm just not sure if the paint is gonna stay for long. also i had some small bits come off with tape so i need to take a brush and clean up the edges. not looking forward to that.

i think in conclusion i've learned maybe some things are worth paying someone else to do it.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:25 AM   #7
ka0sx

Drives: bone f*ing stock
I think it looks good, if you want to smooth out the clumps, use 2000-2500 grit and wet sand the paint.

usualy anything over 400 you have to wet sand anyways for it to work well.

your directions with the pictures combined do make a great tutorial though, A++
ka0sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:48 PM   #8
skull
TRD

Drives: 2010 Black/Orange YRX

I painted the whole cover then wiped over the VVT-I with Metho then painted the I in red then clear coated over the top.
Looks Great I Love IT if i must say so myself.
skull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #9
frownonfun

yeah that looks way better than mine!!

I crush you like tiny clown car, because you are clown, yes?
Old 03-09-2011, 12:40 AM   #10
griz

Drives: 2011 yaris hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by skull View Post

I painted the whole cover then wiped over the VVT-I with Metho then painted the I in red then clear coated over the top.
Looks Great I Love IT if i must say so myself.
that looks AMAZING. i want to do that now
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:29 AM   #11
henry98

Drives: toyota
thanks for the tips or suggestions of painting engine cover.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:41 AM   #12
Sam8madness

Drives: 2007 Toyota yaris hatch
1200 wet sand?

You might as well just skip sanding all together, way to fine to create any adhesion promotion between the paint and surface.

600 dry sand would be a better idea.
Sam8madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:07 PM   #13
jtsimaras

Drives: S2000 / MAZDA CX5 GT / YARIS
Painted mine today some metalcast blue paint today nothing fancy but sure is shinnnny :)

Undercoat

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gvhlacpzvl...2015.54.51.jpg

Final

https://www.dropbox.com/s/untzslqr4i...2018.53.02.jpg
jtsimaras is offline   Reply With Quote