Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-31-2009, 11:45 PM   #55
brainless twit

Drives: 2009 base sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
since you owe 10500 on the cobalt, you wouldnt get hurt that bad IF you got 9500+ on the cobalt. but, dealers often like to use kelly blue book as a template, in which case youd be closer to 8k. once you find out what the deasler will actually give you, it will be much easier to mke a decision.
Actually, every bank and dealership I've ever dealt with uses NADA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisDriversDad
Wes isn't really all that much "into" gas mileage. I mean it is important to him to have a car that gets good mileage, but it is not important to him to know exactly what mileage he is getting. So, he "estimates" his mileage by assuming he has used 11 gallons of gas, since he runs the tank way down to the last bar on the gauge. He divides whatever miles he has driven since the last fill-up by 11. He has gotten 370 to 380 miles on his first couple tanks. We all know that he is not really using 11 gallons of gas, so if we assume he is using ten gallons, then his mileage is about 37 or 38 MPG. Not bad at all!
That's about the same amount I was getting in the beginning. I'm now getting 470 miles per tank, assuming that there are 40 miles left when I get down to one bar (per the manual). Still, when divided by 11, that's closer to 43 mpg. Excellent mileage after my HHR, which is built on a Cobalt frame, that got 27ish.
brainless twit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:25 AM   #56
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
some will looks at NADA as well, but not always as their only tool. KBB, NADA, auction house averages. the bottom line is, the trade is worth whatever a dealer will give you for it. im almost all cases, you will be better served to sell the cobalt yourself.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:45 AM   #57
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
Quote:
some will looks at NADA as well, but not always as their only tool. KBB, NADA, auction house averages. the bottom line is, the trade is worth whatever a dealer will give you for it. im almost all cases, you will be better served to sell the cobalt yourself.

That's for sure, Roxy. People often have unrealistic expectations on their trade-ins. They forget that the dealer can go to car auctions and buy cars just like the ones they are trying to trade-in for wholesale prices. The dealer has to be able to make a profit on the car we trade-in, so he cannot give us retail price for it.

Selling the old car oneself is often not possible, because that would require that two loan payments be made each month until the old car is sold. Also, it can be a real pain to try to sell a car. People with absolutely no intention of buying will come look at it, test drive it, and then make some ridiculous offer. Others will be truly interested but will need to sell their own car first. I say let the car dealers put up with all of that, and I will take what they are willing to give me on trade-in, if they make a reasonable offer.

Tom
YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:07 AM   #58
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Looks like the rebate is gone. When I checked Edmunds.com and got pricing on a Yaris, the rebate did not show up. Yesterday was the last day for the $1000 rebate, but I thought they would continue it or maybe even increase it.

Maybe the new rebate just hasn't been announced yet?

If there really is no rebate, then my decision is very easy: I will keep the Cobalt.

Tom
Old 04-01-2009, 09:53 AM   #59
roxy1

can you/would you drive a stick? do you like the hatch? if so, the 3 dr manual tranny hatch is the cheapest option. under $13k (no power windows/locks-no big deal w/ only 2 doors) would be very easy i would think with gas prices still low. to me that is the the yaris w/ the best value. at $15k-$16k, you could get a honda fit (if you like hatches) or a corolla (if you like sedans). quite honestly, those are just way more car than a yaris, but those cars cant be had for anywhere near $13k. the hatch is what makes a yaris unique (sorry, sedan owners). plus, the stick will be more fun to drive. not to mention, the stick will return better real world mileage if you know how to drive one. look here:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calcu...ta&model=Yaris (stick owners average about 4 mpg higher than auto owners.

hmmm....where did that voice of reason go
Old 04-01-2009, 10:33 AM   #60
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Roxy:

Yeah, I can drive a stick shift vehicle, and sometimes they are actually fun to drive, like the six speed 94 Z28 Camaro I once owned, for instance. Most of the time, though, I am very glad to have an automatic.

It's the sedan that I'm crazy about, Roxy. I like having four doors AND a trunk.

There is nothing wrong with my little Cobalt, so keeping it is not the end of the world, if that's the way this turns out.

I completely understand what you are saying about the Yaris being at its maximum value in the hatchback form and that once you are up to $16K, you might as well buy the Corolla, except I wonder how close the Corolla would come to the fuel economy of the Yaris?

Tom
Old 04-01-2009, 12:37 PM   #61
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Well, I can see no advantage to the Corolla personally. One thing that is a big advantage to the Yaris IMO is that it's Japanese built. A politically incorrect thing to say in the US now, I suppose, but I'm happy to have an all-Japanese car.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:45 PM   #62
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
One thing that is a big advantage to the Yaris IMO is that it's Japanese built. A politically incorrect thing to say in the US now, I suppose, but I'm happy to have an all-Japanese car.

+1
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:47 PM   #63
roxy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisOwnersDad View Post
except I wonder how close the Corolla would come to the fuel economy of the Yaris?

Tom
well, i can answer that apples to apples. i traded my 2007 yaris hb manual transmission for a 2009 corolla manual transmission. on the exact same routes with the same driving style, i average 1.5-2 mpg's less than my yaris did. during the spring/summer/early fall i avg 39.5 mpg (calculated, not on my mileage computer, which runs 1-2 mpg high) )with the corolla on 80% highway and light suburban driving. so, the yaris holds very little mileage advantage.

as for the advantages over the yaris sedan, the telescoping wheel and height adjustable seat on the corolla makes for a very comfortable seating position. the car is decidedly much quieter and smoother on the highway. that bit of extra torque is noticeable (something you would REALLY notice going from the cobalt to a yaris). the clutch and shifting action is much smoother, a dream compared to the bizarre uptake and notchy shifter on the yaris. it rolls less around turns. the one single advantage of a yaris sedan is for $15k you would be able to have power windows/locks (and maybe cruise), where a $15k corolla would be a base model w/o these. i added power locks/keyless entry for $300, so i just miss out on the PW. i paid $14900 for the corolla.

having said that, a telescoping steering wheel would have kept me in my Yaris hatchback. it looks unique, the mileage was great, and i had fun driving it. it was just very uncomfortable for me on trips over 15 minutes.

as for being japanese built, my yaris definitely came with more rattles than my corolla. japanese workers arent as die hard loyal as they were a decade ago. they dont have lifetime job security like they used to and toyota and honda have had unprecedented layoffs in japan in the past year. there has been much press in japan about how disgruntled toyota's assembly line workers are due to increase workloads. the quality control is the same at TMMC and NUMMI as it is in japan. in fact the TMMC plant in canada, which has made the corolla since 1988, has won seven plant quality awards. most of the 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th gen corollas sold in the usa were built at one of those two plants and those corollas clearly have a reputation for reliability and longevity. built in japan or canada or california is a non issue, imo.

i doubt if anyone would cross the next gen yaris off their list just because it was going to be built at TMMC in Canada. (just an example. don't know where it will be built)

Last edited by roxy1; 04-01-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:55 PM   #64
DanQ

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Doing the trade for gas mileage purposes is a real waste of money.
Look at it this way, by NOT trading in on the Yaris you save $6,000.

Apply those $ to gas (at 17k miles per yr 28 mpg in cobalt =$1214/yr in gas) and its like getting FREE GAS for the cobalt for almost 5 years!

In 5 years there will be a lot more interesting choices to replace the cobalt..
maybe....http://www.aptera.com/look.php

DanQ's DIY Keyless Entry
DanQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:41 PM   #65
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
... the clutch and shifting action is much smoother, a dream compared to the bizarre uptake and notchy shifter on the yaris. it rolls less around turns. ...

as for being japanese built, my yaris definitely came with more rattles than my corolla. japanese workers arent as die hard loyal as they were a decade ago. they dont have lifetime job security like they used to and toyota and honda have had unprecedented layoffs in japan in the past year. ...
You make some great points. I didn't think of that, thanks
Old 04-01-2009, 04:54 PM   #66
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

No rattles in my family's 3 Yaris sedans, or any other QC faults I've been able to find.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:14 PM   #67
Mad Goon
New To The Import Thing..

Drives: 07 Yaris 71 Comet 69 Maverick
Send a message via AIM to Mad Goon
I have a 71 Comet with a "mild" ;) 302 (comp cam, little headwork, forged internals (.030 over, the usual) among other things... While the car is obviously fun in a straight line, my wife's Yaris certainly has a higer fun quotient around the corners.. But with 40 years of technology, why wouldn't it? lol Either way, the car made me look at Toyotas in a different light.
Mad Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:13 PM   #68
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Well, I stopped at the dealership where we bought Wes's car, and I asked them to work up something for me. They didn't even drive my Cobalt, because I guess they know it only has 15K miles on it and is obviously in perfect condition. I'm sure they would take it for a spin just to be sure, if we ever get down to brass tacks.

I didn't want to hang around and let them work up a deal, then start the haggling process tonight. I was on my way home from work, and I just wanted them to get the process started. I told them I would call them tomorrow.

They don't have a Flint Mica Yaris on their lot, and I still have not seen one in person. They did have a black one that was equipped just like Wes's car, except for the little rubber strip on the back bumper, the $79 option. I could easily live without that. They really wanted me to buy that car, but I held out for a Flint Mica. There are two of them at a dealership about 50 miles away, and they told me they work out trades with that dealership all the time.

I would be all over that deep red metallic, if my son's car wasn't that color.

I still don't know what I will do, but at least I can let them work something up. Maybe that will cure me of this "car fever." They will probably make some ridiculous low ball offer on my trade-in.

Oh, they said the $1000 rebate has been extended.

Tom
Old 04-01-2009, 08:18 PM   #69
tomato
Super Moderator

The suspense is killiing me!! ;)

Not surprised they extended the offer, though.

(My 2 c about the little black rubber thingy in the back: I don't think it's worth the $79 at the dealership. I was going to get it but when I saw how small it is and it only covers half the surface it's supposed to protect, I walked away from it, too. I bet there is some aftermarket part you can find that does the job better, in the meantime careful when you load stuff in the trunk because the paint does scratch somewhat easily.)
Old 04-01-2009, 08:29 PM   #70
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
The suspense is killiing me!! ;)

Not surprised they extended the offer, though.

(My 2 c about the little black rubber thingy in the back: I don't think it's worth the $79 at the dealership. I was going to get it but when I saw how small it is and it only covers half the surface it's supposed to protect, I walked away from it, too. I bet there is some aftermarket part you can find that does the job better, in the meantime careful when you load stuff in the trunk because the paint does scratch somewhat easily.)
Stay tuned, then, Mater, and we shall see what we shall see.

If I do trade, I will do so knowing that it makes no economic sense. It will just be a victory for the heart over the head.

But, you know what, it will feel GOOD to be sending my money to a car company (via a financial institution) instead of adding to the profits of the oil companies.

I would be very surprised if they made me an offer that I could live with, so the odds are way in favor of my keeping my Cobalt right now.

I'm with ya on the bumper protection. If the car had it, that would be fine, but if it doesn't, then not a big deal. Those two Flint Micas at the other dealership must have it, because their stickers are exactly the same as was my son's car's sticker price, $16,514.

Tom
Old 04-01-2009, 08:49 PM   #71
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisOwnersDad View Post
If I do trade, I will do so knowing that it makes no economic sense. It will just be a victory for the heart over the head.
And there is NOTHING wrong with that. It's just a small car, not a castle in England or something ;)

So you've stepped into the dealership now... will you come out with or without Yaris car keys? ahhh the suspense ...

I WILL stay tuned. This is far more interesting than primetime TV

Don't mind me, I'm just having a bit of fun.
Did you test drive yet, or just crunch numbers?
Old 04-01-2009, 09:07 PM   #72
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
And there is NOTHING wrong with that. It's just a small car, not a castle in England or something ;)

So you've stepped into the dealership now... will you come out with or without Yaris car keys? ahhh the suspense ...

I WILL stay tuned. This is far more interesting than primetime TV

Did you test drive yet, or just crunch numbers?

No need to test drive, my friend. I drove Wes's car to the body shop to get that mailbox paint removed, so that was my test drive. (Was it in this thread that I told everyone about the mailbox incident?) The shop was only a couple miles from my workplace, so I just drove his car to work that day and left it at the shop. They gave me an old car to get me to work and back to their shop when the Yaris was ready.

Tom