Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-24-2014, 04:54 PM   #1
bigjmeister

Drives: 2009 Yaris TS
Gen 2 vs Gen 3 Dilemma

Hi Peeps

I am a new member recently returned to my home country, sunny South Africa, specifically in Johannesburg from an absence of 6 years where I was in the Middle East. I have set aside a certain amount of money that allows me to buy one of three cars, all around the same price on the used market:
1) A black Gen 2 2009 Yaris 1.8 TS with 38000km (stock)
2) A black Gen 2 2009 Yaris 1.8 TS with 36000km (gas flowed head, branch manifold, free flow exhaust and piggyback chip [Unichip], all done by a reputable local firm called Steves Auto Clinic. Up to 30% increase in power over stock!)
3) A solid red Gen 3 2013 Yaris 1.3 XS with 31000km (stock)

All the cars ride on stock suspension and I like the ride on all equally well. The issue is that option 1 is currently sitting on the dealer floor with a leaky water pump, but after doing an internet search, it seems that the 2zr-fe engine especially in the Corolla is known to be a common fault, although not really mentioned in this forum. Toyota has apparently redesigned the water pump so cars with the new pump should not give further issues. The car still has the OEM Yokohama tyres on it and the brake discs barely show any wear. Also, it has been sitting so long at the dealership that the battery was cooked, so a new one was fitted this week.
Option 2 has a very loud exhaust and according to Toyota, this car was not taken for its yearly service despite having the 15000 (2010) and 30000km (2012) done, meaning that some of the parts were not changed at the correct TIME, as opposed to MILEAGE. The overall condition of this car indicates that the owner was more of an enthusiast than Option 1 (rims and interior in better condition, but more wear on the brakes and new Hankook tyres were fitted)
Option 3: I love the ride and slightly better refinement of the newer generation, but at this altitude (+1000m above sea level) the lack of grunt is sorely missed.

Any suggestions on which Option I should go with?

My logic tells me to go with Option 1 because the TS is such a rare car and has a cool factor compared to other hatchbacks, and also that it has a better service history and if the dealer has to fix the water pump issue before I buy it, then I should be good to go for at least another 100,000km. However, I do need to contact the firm that did the modifications to see whether the previous owner serviced his car there (not showing up on the Toyota service database), and what the actual power output was... Once I have this info, I can make an informed decision on whether Option 2 is viable. The biggest practical selling point of the Gen 2 vs Gen 3 is the folding rear seat, which I really appreciate as a cyclist to chuck my road bike in the back as the flat floor would really assist loading and unloading.

Last edited by bigjmeister; 12-25-2014 at 09:38 AM.
bigjmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 06:46 AM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Our cars are so different here in the US compared to the rest of the world I can make no recommendation.

But good luck! I think any Yaris is a good Yaris.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:31 PM   #3
bigjmeister

Can anybody else give some advice?
Old 12-30-2014, 11:08 AM   #4
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
based on your remarks, go with option 1 or 2, since the feature that youre looking for should outweigh the newer model. otherwise, make a checklist of the pros vs cons for each of the model and make a decision from there.
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:54 AM   #5
bigjmeister

i've decided to go with the gen 2 stock TS (option 2 was sold yesterday). Now just a question of price. You know stealerships and their markups...
Old 01-03-2015, 04:37 AM   #6
bigjmeister

To close this thread, the car was sold to someone else with a higher offer. sadness...

Thanks for the advice members.