Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-15-2009, 07:23 AM   #1
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
AFE cai intake....pros/cons

hey all....i just installed an AFE intake on my car...i wanted all to know my thoughts on the subject. for any of those interested or maybe thinkin of buyin a used kit like i did...

any way, on to the good bad and uglies. im gonna list everything to the last detials i can think of so bear with me.

cons...

installation instructions sucked. not that u really needed them but i got confused reviewing them...and yes i've done several of these on several models of cars.

next would be the thing bounces around like a marble in a tin can...and yes i installed it correctly. i'm hitting the bumper support, OEM airbox bracketry and the radiator. so when the engine shakes....it hits everything.

the mounting screw threads in the intake decided they wanted to come loose and spin freely with the bolt. so my MAF isnt as tightly secured as i want it, but at least i know it's not gonna come off...the thing spins with the bolt lol.

there is no place for EVAP purge solenoid to mount so i gotta 'rig' it up somehow.

last but not least, what's the deal with the airbox inlet being right there behind the radiator? as if the air bypassing it or the headlight wouldnt be enough.

pros...

once i decided to throw the instructions away and run with it...installation took me about 35 min. the kit is relatively solid, mounts easily.

i had a noticeable power increase, not nearly as much as my v8 car but it's worth the price if u can get them used.

i'm sure that if i can keep my foot off the throttle then i'll get a decent mileage increase. instead of choking the engine with wavy tube work and restrictive air elements, there's nothing stopping the pistons from sucking any amount of air that atmosphere can provide.

so for anyone thinking of getting one...i waited and found one used for a good price...about 200 bux off retail...and it was definitly worth it for me. pro's outweigh cons...i can get some foam tape and fix my rattles, and i can also find a place to zip-tie my EVAP stuff...
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:21 AM   #2
hatchbackkid82

Drives: .
Hmmmmmm........ I installed this kit in my car too. Doesn't bounce around at all in my car. The weapon r intake i had did, that's why i got rid of it. i think this is one the best intakes you can buy
hatchbackkid82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
mrbond

Drives: 2008 meteorite hatchback
Send a message via AIM to mrbond
What I ended up having to do with the mounting point on the battery was take a large bolt (10 - 13mm) and put it in between the battery and the AFE mounting point. It stopped all vibrations. That was probably the one thing I disliked about the kit, other than the instructions. Glad to see it arrived :)
mrbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:12 PM   #4
severous01

thaks bond. it's great and in great condition...i'm getting way better FE out of the thing. i usually get around 74mi t the first 1/8 mark, and i hit over 85 today. highway driving.

well, after carefully looking at it there's a hole in the very bottom that is directly over a hole in the original airbox mount. i think i'm gonna get some hose and a bolt/nut and mount another mounting point. i did stop one rubbing issue, right on the frame for the bumper support. i bent the little tab where it mounts by the headlight and that fixed most of it...still when i'm not shifting right into first and the car shakes it'll rattle...oh well. it's definitely worth the performance and fuel economy.

and i'm not gonna stick a bolt in there, although a good idea to stop the rattle, it's gonna cause rust...and who knows what if it actually comes loose.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:28 PM   #5
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
You must have gotten fucked with your intake I didn't have a single issue with mine except for having to rig a line with a cable tie to hold it.
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:33 PM   #6
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXDEMON View Post
You must have gotten fucked with your intake I didn't have a single issue with mine except for having to rig a line with a cable tie to hold it.
ditto.

see what happens when you try to save a dollar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by severous01 View Post
i waited and found one used for a good price...about 200 bux off retail

You got it for 200$ off retail? They are 174$ brand new on microimage. Shipped

http://shop.microimageonline.com/pro...2&productId=74
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:48 AM   #7
red_rims
Black Yaris

Drives: Black Yaris
dude i bought AEMs. They work well for my car. Here in Cali it doesnt rain much so AEM long ram intake is cool for me. Im thinking about buying AFE for raining season next year though.
red_rims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:11 AM   #8
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_rims View Post
dude i bought AEMs. They work well for my car. Here in Cali it doesnt rain much so AEM long ram intake is cool for me. Im thinking about buying AFE for raining season next year though.
I have driven through beleive it or not a couple heavy patches of rain on the AZ freeways and not even a drop of rain got into the box that surrounds my afe intake
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:42 AM   #9
severous01

well the cheapest i found on ebay is like 275 bux. so...ya, i got it for almost 200 off retail. and everything is there, nuts, bolts, spacers, washers, all that jazz...

but there is still nowhere to put the solenoid, and i'm gonna have to rig it to make it right....as far as i can see is that there is NO PRODUCT ON THE MARKET that provides a place for the solenoid. they all relocate it, which is what i'm gonna have to do.

not a problem, just wasnt expecting to do any 'rigging' on my car with a CAI
Old 04-16-2009, 03:21 PM   #10
Edgarm87

Drives: 2008 Stock Yaris Sedan
Hi everyone, I'm new here and I have a stock '08 yaris 4Dr.

Does anyone know if there is a risk in putting a CAI? such as ruining the engine somehow or burning a sensor? I want to get the Fujita CAI for my car but I am not sure if I should or not.

Also, I just want my car to sound cool..would an intake make any difference in the sound my motor makes?

Thanks for your help and time!

-E
Edgarm87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:45 PM   #11
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgarm87 View Post
Hi everyone, I'm new here and I have a stock '08 yaris 4Dr.

Does anyone know if there is a risk in putting a CAI? such as ruining the engine somehow or burning a sensor? I want to get the Fujita CAI for my car but I am not sure if I should or not.

Also, I just want my car to sound cool..would an intake make any difference in the sound my motor makes?

Thanks for your help and time!

-E
The only risk is if water gets into the engine via your intake. Any short ram intake, such as the AFE talked about in this thread (http://shop.microimageonline.com/pro...2&productId=74), will reduce the risk of hydrolocking.

Also, yes, the intake makes your car sound "cool". It gives it a very throaty, deep noise.
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:53 AM   #12
vten

Drives: red bare bone yaris hb 3dr
I got the afe intake and CEL !!

"the mounting screw threads in the intake decided they wanted to come loose and spin freely with the bolt....the thing spins with the bolt ... " if they make the maf housing with a metal, that would be a different story....

Im gonna get the AEM from Garm ....
vten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:00 AM   #13
hatchbackkid82

I guess you would be the only one that i know of that got a CEL with the AFE. You sure you installed it correctly?
Old 06-24-2009, 11:46 AM   #14
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
about 200 bux off retail
huh? the aFe intake is $174 shipped brand new. $200 off retail is free?

Or maybe we aren't talking about the aFe intake that I sell.

It shouldn't "bounce around" at all. None of the ones I've installed do that, nor have I heard other reports. You bought it used; did it come with all the parts? It IS supposed to be bolted down at the bottom. Make sure you remove the airbox bracket under the stock airbox before installing the aFe box
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:16 PM   #15
hatchbackkid82

i didn't even know AFE made a cold air intake for our car, i thought it was just short ram
Old 06-25-2009, 12:27 AM   #16
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
it is a short ram design, however it's called the AFE CAI 2....i believe. i think they call it a CAI because of the heat shield that goes around the filter, and doesn't go down in the wheel well like traditional CAIs.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:15 AM   #17
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
they call it a Stage 2 because it replaces everything from the throttle body on; larger diameter pipes, etc.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:30 PM   #18
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
well for the few months that I was able to drive my car before heading overseas mine worked like a champ, didn't rattle/vibrate, and I have no clue about what they dude is talking about having to reposition a solenoid??

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote