Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-04-2010, 11:30 PM   #1
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
Clay Bar(ing).....

Hi,

Well i clay bar'd my car for the first time today, and I was pretty disappointed. I used Meguires Clay Bar kit. It came with liquid detailer (which you spray for lubricant while moving the clay bar), two clay bars, a micro fiber towel, and some quick wax (for the end).

I was under the impression that it was the miracle cleaner and would take up almost everything. However, while I was spraying the lubricant and using the bar, I was noticing i was taking things off better with my fingernail, than what the clay bar was picking up. When I was done doing my car, the bar was barely dirty at all. There are also tiny spots on the car (not chips) that still won't come out.

So I had a question. When you guys do the clay bar, do you press really hard with the bar while going over the lubricant? I found that if I lubricated the area well, the bar just glides over the paint, and I can't understand how it will pick ANYTHING up, without some type of tiny friction. I found myself getting things up better when i used force with the bar and some what a lot of friction ( on certain parts that weren't working with alot of lubricant ).

The directions on the box weren't clear on whether going over gently with the bar while spraying the detailer, or if you use some force? They also didn't say whether i should go in horizontal or vertical motions (like i read you should do on postings before).

In the end, ofcourse the car feels smoother than before I started. It could be from the clay baring, but the spray detailer you use for lubricant is definately giving it that "just waxed" feel. I mean, I used that detailer before, and it feels like the car has just been waxed. I don't even think the clay bar did ANYTHING. I rather have taken the car to get buffed and detailed by a "pro."

I'm a clay bar noob. Help.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:47 PM   #2
Wita09

Drives: 09 Yaris Hatchback
i clay bar'd my wife's civic, used the same brand and it worked good for me, i just glided the clay while lubricating the car with detailer but it took me a total of around 6 hours to finish the whole car because i have to redo some part of the car.
Wita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:48 PM   #3
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
i must be a noob too cause i also found the clay bar to do absolutely nothing. and i made sure to watch a bunch of instructional youtube videos on it before i used it. everything i watched and read said very little pressure and there shouldn't really be any friction. i had some spots on my truck i was trying to remove and i spent like a half hour on one tiny little section with the clay bar. nothing. i drove it to a detailing shop. presto. no spots.

I crush you like tiny clown car, because you are clown, yes?
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:12 AM   #4
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
there should be a noticeable difference, gritty paint compared to smooth as glass BEFORE WAXING. Never press hard with any car detailing stuff, you may actually scratch your car with the junk on the clay bar. Either you paint is super squeeky good, or iono..works for me great.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:46 AM   #5
PETERPOOP

But the smooth as glass feeling is inevitable while using the spray detailer as the lubricant for the bar....

Conspiracy.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:23 AM   #6
counterfiend
Banned

Drives: 2005 Ford Focus
Sometimes if you have not ever clayed the car before or it say sits under a tree that drips alot, you may have to use some extra pressure. You cant go at it like its going to break if you look at it funny, but dont put all you got in it either. Use more pressure.

And also a good way to check progress is to use cellophane off a cig pack, put your fingers in it and rub it on the paint. It will make whats on the paint that much more noticeable, with the spray on the car or not.
counterfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:42 PM   #7
DerFlosser

Drives: Yaris
Clay bars work fantastic and they are an absolute must for a proper detail. First off, check to see if the car is contaminated with fallout. My guess is that 10 out of 10 cars are. The trick to using a claybar is as follows:
1) Get a good quality clay bar. I do not recommend hard clays
2) Get a good quality lube
3) Get the clay soft (knead and even heat if necessary)

You need to make sure that you are lubed well and often. Spray the paint surface and the clay. It takes some getting used to but you are only as good as your clay and your lubricant. These are places where you should not skimp. I never liked Meguiar's or Mother's for clay or clay lube.
DerFlosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:47 PM   #8
PETERPOOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerFlosser View Post
I never liked Meguiar's or Mother's for clay or clay lube.
Well what do you suggest?
Old 03-05-2010, 01:49 PM   #9
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
cars get dirty in hawaii?
Old 03-05-2010, 03:24 PM   #10
DARK AGE 53

Drives: 2009 Yaris Onyx
I have found all of the major brands work just fine, you should not have to press hard on the clay bar..... in my opinion clay baring a car is a must.
DARK AGE 53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:18 PM   #11
counterfiend
Banned

Drives: 2005 Ford Focus
No sometimes you have to give a little extra pressure to get it off, to get the clay to "Bite" into the stuff on the paint. Its basically wetsanding on a microscopic level. IF your still not happy with how its coming out, getting some more aggressive clay, this will more then likely "dull" the paint since it is more aggressive, so it will need a light polish after using aggressive clay.
counterfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:54 AM   #12
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERPOOP View Post
But the smooth as glass feeling is inevitable while using the spray detailer as the lubricant for the bar....

Conspiracy.
no no, not smooth as glass with the clay bar gliding on the body, its your HAND gliding on the body that feels like smooth glass.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:22 AM   #13
DerFlosser

Drives: Yaris
I would recommend the most mild Clay Magic brand or Griot's has a nice clay with great quantity. Work the clay for about 5 minutes before using, kneading the clay and folding it. You want a warm, sticky clay to work with (hence the need for lube). Meguiar's #34 actually is a pretty good lube but there are a few other products out there that you might find to be MORE slick. I, personally, buy a lot of product from these guys because they are good and close to me: www.detailedimage.com
DerFlosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:13 PM   #14
bzinn 1

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Agreed goto www.Griotsgarage.com and order some of their speed shine and claybar and you will be amazed at how much better a product they carry over many others.

they also have paint cleaners,paint protectors,polishes,waxes,detailing products.....I have not found a product form them yet that I was not amazed at how well it works......

All their products can also be eaten,they smell great but taste bad......lol....dont ask.
bzinn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:37 PM   #15
Damo

Drives: 2011 Yaris 3-Door Hatch white
Keep in mind that you dont want to push too hard on the clay bar. The idea is that it skims over the surface and the clay 'pulls out' the debris.
Its likely that pushing too hard on the clay bar may do more to push the debris into the finish than pull it out.
Remember, debris is already stuck in the clearcoat, hence why the wash didnt remove it.

I think of it like having a bee-sting. The correct, non-damaging approach is to gently brush a way the sting, not to try to grind it into your body.

Am I making any sense at all?

:)

Great forum, btw :)
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:51 PM   #16
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
used a claybar for the first time last night. first washed the car with dishwashing soap(to get rid of old wax), then claybarred(with the meguiar's quik detailer), then waxed with the enclosed cleaner wax. i've had the car for about 2 1/2 years and i thought it would pick-up more stuff embedded in the paint, but i did notice a definate difference(particularly around the lower doors and rear bumper area). the trick i found was to do one section at a time, put a good misting of lube on the area, apply decent pressure, and keep the clay soft(it was in the low 50's when i did it and i kept kneading it in my hand-the heat in your hands helps A LOT).
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:46 PM   #17
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
I have that same kit, that wax is good stuff!
My car was full of brake dust stains on the rear hatch and bumper. I though it was the car already rusting!
BUT this kit took it all off.
Good deal!

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:07 PM   #18
Herbicidal
Just a Herbicidal maniac.

Drives: 2008 Yaris S Sedan Flint Mica
I used a clay bar from Griot's garage. I also used Meguiar's Quick Detailer as the lube and apply medium pressure to the clay while working it from front to back on each panel. The first time I did it was about 3 months after I bought it. Here's a pic from just the roof:

I've only used a clay bar one more time since then and it only picked up about 20% of what this picture shows. The worst was the roof, trunk lid (sedan) then the hood in that order. There was basically nothing on the vertical panels. I regulary wash and wax my car (Quick Detailer inbetween waxes), plus I'm able to keep in the garage so less contaminates over time.
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Herbicidal is offline   Reply With Quote