Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-09-2008, 09:43 PM   #55
Chupacabra
Banned

Drives: 2009 Yaris liftback
There is no way to fix this unless you replace the panel or sand/bondo. To do this job the right way and have the correct color match...it would cost big money. Don't be surprised when you get a quote, especially if it's from a reputable shop.
Chupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:52 PM   #56
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
oh heck , maybe this could help him feel better . Years ago while doing a tuneup on a 1980 PLYMOUTH Colt I reached in and turned on the ignition to listen how it sounds and away it GOES !!! I forgot I had left it in 1st gear ( didn't have the safety feature to push in clutch before starting , I and a few others with short term memories inspired the need for that ) . Anway , I ran along the car and reached back into it and shut if off while still moving but it hit corner of the house . The impact shook the house while my fiance' was in it . So she comes runing out saying " What the heck was that ! " . Thus , I had to explain what it was . Luckily there was very little damage and no one was hurt . The car did run better tho . I look back at it now and .
gid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:03 AM   #57
rg570lvr

Drives: '08 Yaris MM 3d Lb, auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by gid View Post
oh heck , maybe this could help him feel better . Years ago while doing a tuneup on a 1980 PLYMOUTH Colt I reached in and turned on the ignition to listen how it sounds and away it GOES !!! I forgot I had left it in 1st gear ( didn't have the safety feature to push in clutch before starting , I and a few others with short term memories inspired the need for that ) . Anway , I ran along the car and reached back into it and shut if off while still moving but it hit corner of the house . The impact shook the house while my fiance' was in it . So she comes runing out saying " What the heck was that ! " . Thus , I had to explain what it was . Luckily there was very little damage and no one was hurt . The car did run better tho . I look back at it now and .
I don't know about him but I feel better.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:06 AM   #58
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
that's when you could pick up a used car for $150 and run it for a few years .
gid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:11 AM   #59
rg570lvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantayarisnyc View Post
thanks for the reassurance, just where is the magnetic box under the yaris? thanks
I'm sorry about the misunderstanding, you can buy a little black plastic box at just about any place that makes copies of keys like Walmart, Lowes, they're by the keys. You put your spare key in it and find a place somewhere under your car to hide it, it has magnets on one side to stick to the metal. Just try not to let anyone see where you hide it.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:15 AM   #60
rg570lvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by gid View Post
that's when you could pick up a used car for $150 and run it for a few years .
I remember those days.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:27 AM   #61
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg570lvr View Post
I'm sorry about the misunderstanding, you can buy a little black plastic box at just about any place that makes copies of keys like Walmart, Lowes, they're by the keys. You put your spare key in it and find a place somewhere under your car to hide it, it has magnets on one side to stick to the metal. Just try not to let anyone see where you hide it.
Go to toyota and ask the parts guy if he has a credit card plastic key and cut it for your wallet or even more reliable and a common practice is to use a nylon zip tie and secure a key out of site under the car. People even use duct tape and attach a key to the back of a license plate.

So the nest time you are on your way to that Jeopardy try out you will be ready!!

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:32 AM   #62
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
That's... INSANE!
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:38 AM   #63
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
i used to keep a key in my wallet.. locked myself out of my car while running an errand for my boss once.. got to sit in a parking lot for two hours on the clock while i waited for the person i got the car from to show up with an extra key :) luckily i got the car from the manager of the store i work at :)

i have an extra key now.. i should probably keep that in my wallet.. 99% of the time i travel with my wife though.. who has a key in her purse.. so chances are the purse will be on her when we are out of the car

it always sucks though .. you could sometimes call the police and have them slim jim it.. some places don't do it .. other places do
Old 12-10-2008, 08:08 AM   #64
Bob_VT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyGiant View Post
i used to keep a key in my wallet.. locked myself out of my car while running an errand for my boss once.. got to sit in a parking lot for two hours on the clock while i waited for the person i got the car from to show up with an extra key :) luckily i got the car from the manager of the store i work at :)

i have an extra key now.. i should probably keep that in my wallet.. 99% of the time i travel with my wife though.. who has a key in her purse.. so chances are the purse will be on her when we are out of the car

it always sucks though .. you could sometimes call the police and have them slim jim it.. some places don't do it .. other places do
The local PD here WILL NOT help anymore. I heard they did not want to be responsible for damages. They will call a locksmith for you for about $100-150 a locksmith will unlock it......... errrrr cheaper that self mutilation

Old 12-10-2008, 11:20 AM   #65
Mikeb Yaris

Drives: 08 Sedan Base Auto/PWR BLK
My 1980 honda prelude and subsequent 85 accord had what I thought was a great feature. You couldn't lock the driver's door unless you used the key! Why can't there be a simple feature that will not allow the door to lock unless either the key manually or the keyfob does it?
Mikeb Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:37 AM   #66
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Probally going to be over a thousand easily.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:23 PM   #67
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Wow I'd be too embarrassed to start this thread after all that

Suggest you get AAA. Your car's suffered enough LOL

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:31 PM   #68
msfire671
ONE LOVE...YARiS LOVE!!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris
Send a message via MSN to msfire671 Send a message via Yahoo to msfire671
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIPNGAS View Post
wow...

breaking the window might have been cheaper.
NUFF SED!

i would rather replace the window instead of all that..
msfire671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:36 PM   #69
msfire671
ONE LOVE...YARiS LOVE!!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris
Send a message via MSN to msfire671 Send a message via Yahoo to msfire671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_VT View Post
Go to toyota and ask the parts guy if he has a credit card plastic key and cut it for your wallet or even more reliable and a common practice is to use a nylon zip tie and secure a key out of site under the car. People even use duct tape and attach a key to the back of a license plate.

So the nest time you are on your way to that Jeopardy try out you will be ready!!
dang it bob! you just gave away my hiding spot! KIDDING!

but yah that does work...get that magnet key box thingy and stick it under your car...it was a great idea when a drunken monkey friend of mine locked the keys in...

made her get it btw!
msfire671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:46 AM   #70
YarisPR

Drives: Yaris Sedan
yo should have calla puertorrican dude he could open that car en no time LOL just kidding (I'am puertorrican). But way to much damage...

I once left the car runnign with the keys inside and i the middle of a car wash line and a guy from the car wash opened it i less then 3 min....
Old 12-11-2008, 03:26 AM   #71
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIPNGAS View Post
wow...

breaking the window might have been cheaper.
+1, It would have been way cheaper and quicker.

If you don't have the skills to break into a car to unlock it you should never try. My suggestion is next time look for a spare key lying around like one of the ones pictured below. Then wrap it in a t shirt put it through your passenger window and unlock your car that way. The reason you wrap it in a t shirt is so it does not damage the interior when it goes through.

New window $200
New paintwork $2,000
The look on your face after what you realised what you just did..... Priceless
Hope you have a mastercard cause I don't thing insurance covers stupidity.

Might seem that i'm being harsh, but I hope you've learned your lesson.
Attached Images

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:06 AM   #72
Bob_VT

LOL carry a brick!

Those magnetic key boxes can fall off and are obvious..... so now that you have trashed your car that you were proud to have purchased for $12K you can re-invest your savings ........... hmmmmmm hindsight being 20-20 you should have purchased new!