Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-26-2008, 12:02 PM   #91
richardholdener

Drives: 2008 Yaris hatch
I'm not sure if I understand the question. If you are serious about wanting to purchase an intake for the yaris-put your name on the list. If we don't get 10 people to sign up-there will be no intakes. If we do, the those people will get the first production run of intakes and it is undecided if there will be an additional production run. Best bet if you want an intake-step up and get on the list.
richardholdener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:26 PM   #92
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
OoOOooOOoo. I might be one of ten with the only aftermarket intake manifold for a looooooooooong time. Nice
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:54 PM   #93
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
I would be interested in an intake that had a flange for a larger throttle body. Anyone who has installed an intake on our cars sees how tiny the throttle body is on our motors. I think If we were to swap to a larger throttle body off like a TC or a corolla then there would be a much more noticible difference in HP
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:06 PM   #94
bdc87
HISTORY REPEATED 11/04/08

Drives: 07' MM Vitz LB
Send a message via AIM to bdc87
I thought there was a plate for that?
bdc87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:05 PM   #95
richardholdener

The prototype intake was made with a flange to accept the larger Xd throttle body. The throttle body upgrade was only worth 1-2 hp-not enough to justify the expense of purchasing the new or used throttle body. Since I know whatthe next question will be (we've already covered this), the larger Xd throttle body will bolt onto the stock intake but sealing will be an isue since the hole in th eintake is much smaller than the hole in the throtle body. Ditton fo rthe rubber o-ring throttle body gasket. Besides, you will need to enlarge hole in th eintake which will be difficult since there is little wall thickness. An adapter plate can be made to facilitate the swap, but again cost versus power gain is not very favorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXDEMON View Post
I would be interested in an intake that had a flange for a larger throttle body. Anyone who has installed an intake on our cars sees how tiny the throttle body is on our motors. I think If we were to swap to a larger throttle body off like a TC or a corolla then there would be a much more noticible difference in HP
Old 10-26-2008, 09:39 PM   #96
cee_dub2003

Drives: Scion xb
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardholdener View Post
Air fuel is the same as stock intake since this motor has a mass air meter.

That is really hard to understand! For one the MAF only calibrates air volume and AIT temp. adding more air into each cylinder would cause the car to run lean, and ping, causing the knock sensor to draw back timing to compensate for the lean in tunr loosing HP.

I have seen a intake manifold for a TC do this. I would really like to see how you have done this when the Toyotas MAF is a very learing piece of equipment.
cee_dub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:53 AM   #97
richardholdener

Hopefully this will help you and others understand why your comments are somewhat inaccurate. The mass air meter is not a learning device, it is a simple measurement device that measures mass flow (temp, volume and infered density). The learning portion of the equation comes from the ECU (interpretation of signals from various sensors including MAF). Using a hot wire, voltage is applied to keep the wire at a given temperature. The greater the airflow (or lower the temperature of said air), the greater the voltage required to maintain a constant element temperature. This change in voltage (or frequency on some MAF applications) is correlated to airflow based on the relationship between ID of the meter assembly and what is refered to as the sample tube (flow orifice to hot wire element). The change in airflow through the system (that happens at different engine speeds and/or loads) is compensated for by the MAF. The same thing happens with changes in airflow from something like an intake upgrade. Problems can arise when you run out of effective meter range (we call this topping out the meter-meaning we reach the voltage ceiling near 5.0V). This can happen with major power gains like those achieved with a blower or turbo. We rescale the meter and combine it with larger injectors for these applications, but for something simple like an intake upgrade-there is no need for this. In reality, altering the mass air meter (by orientation, entry or alteration of ratio between flow orifice and metering orifice) will have much more of a change in the air/fuel ratio than adding the intake manifold. This knowledge on the workings of a mass air meter plus the actual data that came from the hundreds of direct back-to-back dyno tests run indicate that the air/fuel is not effected by the change in intake manifold on the Yaris. I make it a point never to bring speculation to a data fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cee_dub2003 View Post
That is really hard to understand! For one the MAF only calibrates air volume and AIT temp. adding more air into each cylinder would cause the car to run lean, and ping, causing the knock sensor to draw back timing to compensate for the lean in tunr loosing HP.

I have seen a intake manifold for a TC do this. I would really like to see how you have done this when the Toyotas MAF is a very learing piece of equipment.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:20 PM   #98
cee_dub2003

Drives: Scion xb
Thank you for clarifying that better for me. Sorry for the somewhat information information.
cee_dub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:14 PM   #99
ZING

Drives: Yaris '09,GTi '09, BMW 3.30ci
ANd this would work on my '09 LB 1.3L engine, yes?
ZING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:26 PM   #100
richardholdener

Intake has only been tested on 1.5L. NOt sure if 1.3L shares same intake config.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:21 AM   #101
ZING

Drives: Yaris '09,GTi '09, BMW 3.30ci
Quote:
Intake has only been tested on 1.5L. NOt sure if 1.3L shares same intake config.

ZING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:05 PM   #102
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Unfortunately we lost a rod while running higher boost levels and .
what kind of boost levels were you running and for how long? help the 1NZ community out
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:16 PM   #103
richardholdener

I am helping the community out by findin gout exactly what caused the probelm before jumping on the speculation bandwagon. The boost level did not hurt the motor nor the length of time spent at any given boost level. There had to be some type of ignition error that that resulted in excessive timing. We are looking into this and will report if we find the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
what kind of boost levels were you running and for how long? help the 1NZ community out
Old 10-31-2008, 12:24 PM   #104
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
got any pictures? Did the rod just break, bearings/melted piston?.... The H22 i have overspun the bearing and it popped a nice hole in the block...
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:08 PM   #105
Tamago

Quote:
I am helping the community out by findin gout exactly what caused the probelm before jumping on the speculation bandwagon. The boost level did not hurt the motor nor the length of time spent at any given boost level. There had to be some type of ignition error that that resulted in excessive timing. We are looking into this and will report if we find the answer.
ok i guess that's a non answer ;) stock 1NZ rods break on fully stock xA/B's due to high RPM's for extended periods of time. toyota fixed this by giving you Yaris people taller gears (better highway cruising) ..

if you read the write-up done by elprototypes on boosting the 1NZ the rods are the first things to go. the engine is over-square and offset crank which causes piston slap (which is obviously made worse by boost) and ultimately rod failure. there is no "speculation bandwagon" on the 1NZ.. it's been around almost 10 years..

is this your first 1NZ vehicle, Richard?
Old 10-31-2008, 02:31 PM   #106
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I think by speculation bandwagon, he meant he's not going to speculate about his particular car within the context of what caused the failure. It is interesting that his failed under less than extremely stressful conditions, while mine has not failed after six months of driving at 8psi without any tuning whatsoever.

So, whatever he finds out will be interesting. A pic of the rod would sure be entertaining, in the meantime.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:16 PM   #107
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
ok i guess that's a non answer ;) stock 1NZ rods break on fully stock xA/B's due to high RPM's for extended periods of time. toyota fixed this by giving you Yaris people taller gears (better highway cruising) ..

if you read the write-up done by elprototypes on boosting the 1NZ the rods are the first things to go. the engine is over-square and offset crank which causes piston slap (which is obviously made worse by boost) and ultimately rod failure. there is no "speculation bandwagon" on the 1NZ.. it's been around almost 10 years..

is this your first 1NZ vehicle, Richard?
don't mind him, he's just our resident scion ass paper who thinks his knowledge is helpful.....

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:00 PM   #108
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKLAND TOYOTA View Post
don't mind him, he's just our resident scion ass paper who thinks his knowledge is helpful.....

better than being ignorant like you