Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-10-2009, 01:55 AM   #1
paulyd0021

Drives: 2007 Blue Yaris Hatchback
Should I lower the PSI during the Winter?

So I was going to buy some winter tires, but because I cant really afford good ones right now I'm thinking I might hold off, plus I just realized that I would have to pay for mounting and dismounting twice a year which will add up in the long run if i continue to use winter tires. I live in MI.

So my question is if I should lower the PSI in my tires to get better traction?

The car states that the these specific tires (185/60/15) should be at 32 PSI. The max PSI on the tires say 44 PSI. I run them usually around 38 in the front and 37 in the back to get a better MPG. So should I lower them back down to 32 PSI? Or even lower than that? Or is 37 still ok?

I dont feel like I have much control when driving over snow.

Also any other tips? I'm going to try putting a lot of salt bags in my back seat instead of my trunk area since its a FWD. I hear putting it in the very back wont be as good because the front needs more weight. Anyways thanks for any suggestions.
paulyd0021 is offline   Reply With Quote