Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-15-2007, 06:31 PM   #1
ttufrosty

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
DIY: CHANGE MANUAL TRANNY OIL

It is not that difficult to do. If you can change the engine oil you can probably do this. Though the nuts are a little bit tougher to get at. I did not put my car up on jacks but was still able to squeeze my 6 foot 200 pound frame under enough to do all the work.

Keep in mind I am making no GUARANTEES on this work. What you do is at your own risk. If you dont feel you can do the work. THEN DONT.

It is basically a few simple steps.
1. Locate the nuts to be removed.
Drain plug - Viewed from under the drivers side tire and looking back. Notice Big White Sticker.
drain plug viewed from driver tire.jpg
Fill plug - Viewed from top of car looking down from next to air box. Use as a point of reference to find from bottom. Same big white sticker.
fill plug from top circle.JPG

2. Loosen the fill plug FIRST with a 24mm socket. Do not skip this step. If you remove the drain plug first and cant get the fill plug off you are screwed.

3. Loosen the drain plug use same 24mm socket. Place an oil pan underneath. Then completely remove the drain plug. The oil will come gushing out. Now would be a good time to drink a beer (If you are of age) and let the oil drain out.
oil draining.jpg

4. Replace the drain plug and gasket (if gasket is worn replace) and re-tighten to 29 foot-lbs of torque.
torqueing the nut back on.jpg

5. To fill from the top you need to jury rig you a little fill tool. I got about a 3 foot length of vinyl tubing and attached it to the end of my funnel. Then I ran that down to the fill plug from the top.
filling tool.jpg

6. Remove the fill plug and gasket. Insert the tubing into the fill hole. Will require you to lower the tube from the engine compartment and then insert the tube from below.
filling.jpg

7. Add oil to funnel. I used Royal Purple 75w-90 Max Gear Oil, but any brand will do so long as it meets the specs required by Toyota. 2 quarts will do.
75w90 oil.jpg

8. Oil going into car from top.
filling2.jpg

9. Oil going into car from bottom.
oil going in from bottom of car.jpg

10. Once you have put all 2 quarts in, go ahead and remove the tube, but make sure the oil pan is under the fill plug. The car requires 2 quarts but with the little bit of remaining oil from before and the 2 quarts you have added there will be some extra. Wait until it levels off. Don't worry the correct amount of oil is supposed to be 0.05mm below the fill plug. So once it levels off it should be correct.
leveling off after fill.jpg

11. Put the fill plug and gasket back on and re-tighten to 29 foot-lbs of torque.

Your done. Check for leaks. Drive nicer shifting car.

If you need clarification on anything I have done let me know and I will try and give you an answer as to how I did something.

And if I did something completely wrong. Please let me know so it can be fixed and no one else does it.

Enjoy.

Last edited by ttufrosty; 09-15-2007 at 08:49 PM.
ttufrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 06:56 PM   #2
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
Great dIY!! BTY how many miles did you have on the car?
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 07:12 PM   #3
ttufrosty

29,000k miles, 1 year. I drive about 95 miles a day round trip to and from work.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:50 PM   #4
ttufrosty

The service manual says to check at 30k and replace at 60k. However, since I drive as much as I do and since I was experiencing some grinding of gears especially 1st and 2nd. I decided to switch to synthetic.

The change was more to switch to synthetic rather than because it was due for a change.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:43 AM   #5
nisyota

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
cool write-up... i was thinking about going to the dealership cuz i couldn't find the drain plug and fill plug...

Now, my question... I have an automatic sedan... what kind of oil should i use for my tranny? Does Royal Purple or Mobile1 have anything?

Thanks
nisyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:18 AM   #6
fuji

Drives: Polar White Yaris HB
I am assuming this can also be applied to automatic transmission cars as well. Just need different transmission fluid. Any ideas on the specifics of the transmission fluid needed for autos?
fuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 01:30 PM   #7
nisyota

looks like on an automatic there is a dip stick... woo hoo. lol

should be the same drain and fill process except that we have to start up the car and move through each gear (slowly at first) and not floor it until you think the oil has gone through the tranny... i think. thats what i have to do on my truck.

on the dip stick it also says that its not necessary to change the ATF on "Normal" driving conditions... hint:hint: NORMAL. even though i have a stock yaris sedan, i still try and race those porsche. LOL
Old 03-28-2009, 01:54 PM   #8
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
for automatics, the ONLY transmission fluid recommended is World Standard Genuine Toyota Transmission Fluid - and its 250 bucks at the stealership.

with that said, I had dexron put in before I read the TSB, and haven't had any problems in 10k miles.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 01:57 PM   #9
nisyota

so pretty much the auto guys are screwed... no one makes anything compatible?
Old 03-28-2009, 02:35 PM   #10
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nisyota View Post
so pretty much the auto guys are screwed... no one makes anything compatible?
Wal-Marts Super Tech brand of of fluids has two tranny fluids that say right on the bottle they are compatible with With Toyota type WS. But, for the cost ($3 vs $5.50 a quart), I would just go for the genuine WS...

Nice manual tranny DIY...
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:44 PM   #11
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Thanks for the DIY.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:56 PM   #12
nisyota

oh, its only $5.50qt? supmet said it was $250... thats more than my trucks transmission oil.

I guess i don't really have to change it, but for peace of mind, i am. :D
Old 03-28-2009, 03:23 PM   #13
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
I just changed my auto trans fluid about a month or so ago, it was about $8 a quart and it took about 4 of them. $32 vs $250 to have the stealership do something you can do yourself in 30-45 mins.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 04:03 PM   #14
nisyota

heck, i should have done that today... $32... thats cheaper than changing the oil. LOL

THANKS FOR EVERYONE'S HELP!!!

I love the DIY section. LOL
Old 03-28-2009, 05:21 PM   #15
Morgan

Drives: 07 MM LB
Good DIY, You can fill from the reverse sensor or vehicle speed sensor if you don't like side fill (its messy!) BTW the "official" amount is 1.9 qts if you fill from the top - when I had the battery out, both sensors were easy to get to :)
Old 03-29-2009, 12:09 PM   #16
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
Fantastic write up! This should be made sticky and added to the DIY manual!

As a side note, a buddy of mine is a Toyota mechanic and he said one of the few things he thinks people need to do more often is change the tranny fluid. He said every 15k if you drive a lot. It's cheap insurance...

Last edited by schleppy; 04-14-2009 at 01:54 PM.
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:22 PM   #17
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
UHHHH..... digging old thread up...

I'm not sure if i did it right, i took ~1 3/4 Quart out only??
Yet, filling it with 2QT did not over fill it. Or i now i have too much oil in there??
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:29 PM   #18
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
just to clarify for those of us with auto transmissions....what you all are doing is just draining and filling the trans pan.

what supmet stated was $250 was probably a fluid exchange (flush and fill)

which takes all the fluid out including that in the torque converter.
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote