Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-15-2019, 09:16 PM   #1
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
2ZR Turbo Yaris

Because I tend to plunge foolishly headlong into things without really thinking, and I always feel compelled to mess with stuff, I just purchased the turbokits.com 2009+ Corolla (2ZR) Turbo kit. I don't expect to start this project for another month, or at least until my unheated garage is hospitable to work in.

Here is the kit:

https://www.turbokits.com/Toyota/Cor...urbo_Kit/1972/

I know that there will be folks that regard this as a bad idea; a risky proposition, but I'm forging forth. It will stretch my mechanical skills to the nth degree, it will be scary, frustrating and exciting at times. I am aware of the inherent risks associated with this project and I am willing to accept them. I think I've read every post in the forced Induction forum a few times - well maybe a little exaggeration.

Although I have been doing extensive reading and still have much to learn, I have been doing a LOT of research on turbocharged applications, turbos, management, wiring, internal wastgates and actuators, fuel flow, AFRs, wideband sensors, detonation, preignition, fuel mapping, MAF clamping, timing, intercoolers, piping, BOVs etc. I have also been talking fairly extensively with the good folks at turbokits.com. Very helpful and knowledeable guys, that are in the business of retailing performance parts.

Turbo/Manifold Fitment: It appears that there is enough room between the head and firewall to accommodate the turbo. Modifications may be necessary. I'm mildly concerned about the proximity of the turbo turbine to the stock ECU and there may be some adaptations needed for the existing A/C lines. I guess all will be revealed once I try to mount the turbo!

Engine: I am fairly confident that my relatively new engine will handle a very mild boost of 6 - 7 psi as the unmodified (afaik) 2ZR Lotus Elise has a 6+ psi supercharger and produces around 217 HP. My goal would be close to, or less than that.

Transmission: The transmission may be another story. From what I gather (unconfirmed) though, the U340E (Yaris auto) and U341E (Corolla auto, Celica GT) are essentially the same transmisson with the exception of a difference in final drive ratio. The turbokits guys feel that the u340E should be safe up to close to 230 crank hp and have said that there are 1ZZ-powered Celica GTs out there with this transmission that are effectively running 250 hp without mechanical issues. I have doubts about this myself - certainly for any longevity of the transmission. Regardless, I plan to treat the car respectfully - no 0-60 WOT pulls, burnouts or brakestands - will rarely have much payload and certainly won't tow anything. One very knowledgeable YW member termed the u340E as "fairly robust".

Fueling: Fueling is another concern although the turbokits guys feel I should be fine. The only good specs I could find on pumps for the Yaris and Corolla applications are from Delphi (not sure who actually makes the pump in my car - maybe Denso? and neither could the Toyota dealer tell me). Delphi rates, believe it or not, the Yaris at 44 psi, 29 gl/hr, and the Corolla at 44psi, 26 gl/hr and, if memory serves me correctly, both pumps have 5/16" outlets. It's a bit confusing however as the Yaris' pump is rated at 4 amps and the Corolla at 6 amps. Flow rates are probably "free flow", so not sure how valuable those number are. I've been using this calculator below, but I definitely have more work to do. The esteemed, yet unnamed, YW member to whom I referred earlier also stated that the Yaris fuel pump is good up to about 10 psi of boost, of course that's on a 1NZ, not a 2ZR. So, maybe 6 -7 pounds with the 2ZR is achievable, but I suspect it would be risky, especially at the higher fuel/air ratio needed for cooling at the top end of my boost level.

https://www.deatschwerks.com/fuel-ca...ump-calculator

Engine Management Wiring: I have created diagrams of the wiring [Crank, Cams (intake and exhaust), injectors, MAF, AFR etc] that I believe are appropriate for the AEM FIC (30-1910) 'piggyback' and would post them if anyone is interested and/or willing to weigh in on my proposed wiring. DBW would be controlled by the stock ECU and according to the tuner I've been speaking with, likely the timing could also be handled by the stock ECU.

FMIC, intercooler and charge piping: Since the Corolla is obviously dimensionally greater, I'm reasonably confident - after extensive exploration of the yaris engine bay - that I can adapt the piping to fit the Yaris with a small array of couplers, T-clamps, a chop saw and my soon-to-be-homemade bead roller tool.

Engine Cooling: From what I've read here at YW, low boost applications in the Yaris (with the 1NZ) are acceptable for the stock cooling system. An upgraded fan may be necessary, maybe even a radiator upgrade. For a brief moment, I consider meth injection and a non-intercooler setup. Anyway, I guess all will become apparent when tuning. I also have the ability to monitor several sensors via OBD2 and my torque app on my 7" touchscreen. Some of the sensors include: Boost/manifold presure, AFR, STFT, LTFT, injector pulse width (not duty cycle, but the FIC software can read and display this via my laptop), engine coolant temp. I will look toward purchasing and installing oil pressure and oil temp gauges.

Exhaust: Who knows. This will be completed by the outfit that will ultimately tune the car. I expect that it will involve hacking up my new and existing xD midpipe, increasing the tubing to probably 2.25" - 2.5" pipe from resonator back to my Megan axleback.

So, this is my planned project, crazy or not. I did some research before coming on YW and this is partially because I want to look - at least a little bit - like I've thought this through and maybe more importantly, because I so greatly respect many YW members and specifically those who helped me as I muddled through my engine swap. Some of these guys might be shaking their heads as they read this post, but I sure hope they are interested enough in this project to 'get involved' and offer advice and constructive criticism as needed. Of course, if I've missed anything critical from the get-go, please jump right in and let me know.

The kit:

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 03-22-2019 at 09:02 PM.
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:05 PM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Awesome stuff man, I'll be following this closely.

My only concern would be the standalone ecu. There have been reports of the 2nd gens and newer ecu's relearning and ruining the tune. I haven't read any first hand experience online but I do think it could he a potential issue.

A standalone would be the way to solve that potential problem albeit at a higher cost

Your stock radiator should handle the cooling fine. It will only become an issue at prolonged time at high load/high rpm (>15mins)
Old 03-15-2019, 10:37 PM   #3
06YarisRS

Hey Trevor. Thanks for jumping in. I did consider a standalone ECU such as the Haltech Elite 550 and the EMS-4, but there were concerns about the handling of peripherals, if I recall, DBW was one. I believe I read that issues related to loss of tune were related to not skewing 02 sensor data. That said, maybe there is a issue with the ECUs you refer to. Since I am running a 2008 xD ECU, I may well encounter issues. The turbokits.com guys say that the tunes are completely stable but I guess we shall see. Maybe in the end, a standalone will be necessary. Thanks again.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 03-15-2019, 11:11 PM   #4
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
I'm shaking my head......up and down!!!!! Hell yea man!!!!!

I'll be watching this close too!!!

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:28 PM   #5
06YarisRS

Thanks man! I'm excited about it.
I think you had expressed an interest in the kit too, hadn't you? Haha, maybe we could have gotten a better deal buying two kits. I did manage to get a small discount. Still, a lot of quid. Glad you're coming long for the show. And like I said about my 2ZR swap, if nothing else, it might be amusing.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:34 PM   #6
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Yea but life kinda got in the way. Not to say it won't happen... one day.

I knew it wasn't gonna be cheap. Probably about double what the base kit costs with a couple options, and exchange/duty/shipping. It should be a blast though :)

Old 03-16-2019, 09:48 AM   #7
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstyota View Post
Yea but life kinda got in the way. Not to say it won't happen... one day.

I knew it wasn't gonna be cheap. Probably about double what the base kit costs with a couple options, and exchange/duty/shipping. It should be a blast though :)
Yeah, it was probably not a wise decision from a financial point of view and by the time it's all said and done, it will be a fair bit more. I just went for the basic kit with no upgrades. The only other costs associated with the kit is 15% sales tax when crossing the border back into Canada, but we were planning a trip to Maine anyway and after 48 hours we can each (4 of us) claim $800.00. Technically the kit can be divided into separate invoices as it's a bunch of parts. We shall see. If all goes well, I should be looking at $200.00 - $300.00 for exhaust and about $300.00 for tune. There will of course be other cost along the way. Expensive? Yes. Worth it? I sure hope so!

Old 03-16-2019, 08:48 AM   #8
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Ah, winter in NB. The high price of cabin fever ;)

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2019, 09:51 AM   #9
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Ah, winter in NB. The high price of cabin fever ;)

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
Haha, for sure. Who ever said living in The Maritimes is cheap?

Old 03-16-2019, 10:09 AM   #10
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Haha, for sure. Who ever said living in The Maritimes is cheap?
Sanity has no price

Old 03-16-2019, 03:07 PM   #11
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstyota View Post
Sanity has no price
For sure, but insanity certainly does.

Old 03-16-2019, 06:23 PM   #12
06YarisRS

Proposed Wiring for the F/IC

I used the engine control diagrams I got from TIS for the 2008 Scion xD. Also attached is a pic of the 2ZR Engine Control I found online and a link to the F/IC wiring diagram. Please chime in if you see anything amiss or have suggestions. I will add the diagrams for the power supply and ground for the F/IC later.

Interestingly, the tuner with whom I was speaking said that it would be unnecessary for the F/IC to control camshaft timing and that the stock ECU would control that. He seems very knowledgeable, but this just seemed odd to me. I suppose though if it is true and the F/IC is not controlling timing, that the crank would not need to be connected either.

AEM F/IC Manual:

https://www.jegs.com/InstallationIns...17-30-1913.pdf

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 03-19-2019 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:24 PM   #13
atomic_hoji

Drives: 2018 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Interestingly, the tuner with whom I was speaking said that it would be unnecessary for the F/IC to control camshaft timing and that the stock ECU would control that. He seems very knowledgeable, but this just seemed odd to me. I suppose though if it is true and the F/IC is not controlling timing, that the crank would not need to be connected either.
Sorry, hadn't replied regarding the wiring diagrams you posted.

From a quick read through the FIC install manual, at a glance it looks like you're spot on with the wiring techniques for those sensors. Does the Turbokits installation instructions give a recommendation on where to splice into the wiring harness? And/Or come with a "flying lead" harness to work with?

With respect to the camshaft and crankshaft inputs - my guess is the tuner means that since you are going to be running a fairly mild tune, you can avoid using the FIC to adjust timing and just leave the adjustment to the stock ECM. Might be that more aggressive tunes that adjust timing are also more likely to freak out the stock ECM, leading to the need to reset? (guessing..) I would hazard a guess that you will still need the crankshaft input as that will be how the FIC will get the rpm - fuel map references rpm if I recall.. The tuner should be able to tell you if you need to wire it in or not for sure though.

Good luck! And of course keep us posted.
-- Adam
atomic_hoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:04 PM   #14
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Drives: That Scrappy 2zrVios
Very cool.

Unfortunately I have no experience turbocharging Toyota’s, so I’ll be learning as well.

1)Bolt on the kit
2)install some gauges to monitor stuff
3)have a tuner advise on the rest....
ArmstrongRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:59 PM   #15
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I'm all about this! As far as being hesitant, just remember--someone had to be the first human to eat a durian and they lived to tell about it.

The alternative to this would be to buy a full Elise supercharger setup, which is easily twice the cost when it's all said and done. I wish I had some real advise to give, but this is also out of my area of experience. Definitely staying tuned!
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:31 PM   #16
06YarisRS

Thanks Tom and Sam! Just knowing you guys are around gives me a bit of confidence. Hopefully you won't mind if I bounce some theoretical questions off of you or ask your opinions as I go along since both of you unquestionably have more experience with mechanical stuff than I do for certain. It's definitely been a learning experience for me and I haven't even turned a wrench on this project yet.

It does indeed seem like a lot of the guys that were into forced induction have long since moved on. I did read many, many posts on here and there did seem to be a lot of successes.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:41 PM   #17
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Lofty goal, love it! I must be drinking from the same well you are because I've been thinking a lot about going full retard with a 2ZZ swap in mine. Needless to say, I'm subscribed to this thread!

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:48 PM   #18
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Lofty goal, love it! I must be drinking from the same well you are because I've been thinking a lot about going full retard with a 2ZZ swap in mine. Needless to say, I'm subscribed to this thread!
Glad you're coming along for the ride. I will likely need all the moral support I can muster. The 2ZZ swap would be awesome.

As an update to the thread, I got the AEM calibration file and the basemap for my kit yesterday. It's quite interesting to look at although I still need to do a lot of reading to fully understand the numbers.