Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-10-2019, 07:33 AM   #1
ddaru_chee
Daru

Drives: Toyota Vitz AWD 2014
(Very) Slow 2014 Toyota Vitz AWD

Around a year ago, I moved from Indonesia to Timor-Leste. Previously in Indonesia I've been using a 2007 Toyota Yaris with 1NZ-FE engine and manual transmission (bought brand new). I always love how responsive the engine and transmission is. Since then I always love the Yaris, so when I moved to Timor-Leste I want to have something similar, and a 2014 Toyota Vitz caught my eye, without thinking twice I bought the car, but it turns out that it's not quite like my previous Yaris.

I found out that it's using a 1NR-FE engine with CVT transmission. And the quirky part is that it's an All Wheel Drive! I made sure that the badge was not just a random sticker and checked the underside and saw a driveshaft going to the back, and it also has a button to disable the AWD.

But my main concern is that the car is really really slow. The transmission is very laggy in my opinion. Is all Vitz with CVT transmission like this or have I bought a car with a busted transmission? I've been using it for a year, because it's just inner city driving I don't have any problem since I'm always going in a stop and go traffic, but if I step on the gas, the engine just revs but the car is reluctant to go anywhere, so slow in gaining speed. Please tell me it's normal... Because it will be hell to replace a transmission where I am in Timor-Leste.
ddaru_chee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:04 AM   #2
Fluxtasy
feed my pet

Drives: Yaris Sedan '10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaru_chee View Post
Around a year ago, I moved from Indonesia to Timor-Leste. Previously in Indonesia I've been using a 2007 Toyota Yaris with 1NZ-FE engine and manual transmission (bought brand new). I always love how responsive the engine and transmission is. Since then I always love the Yaris, so when I moved to Timor-Leste I want to have something similar, and a 2014 Toyota Vitz caught my eye, without thinking twice I bought the car, but it turns out that it's not quite like my previous Yaris.

I found out that it's using a 1NR-FE engine with CVT transmission. And the quirky part is that it's an All Wheel Drive! I made sure that the badge was not just a random sticker and checked the underside and saw a driveshaft going to the back, and it also has a button to disable the AWD.

But my main concern is that the car is really really slow. The transmission is very laggy in my opinion. Is all Vitz with CVT transmission like this or have I bought a car with a busted transmission? I've been using it for a year, because it's just inner city driving I don't have any problem since I'm always going in a stop and go traffic, but if I step on the gas, the engine just revs but the car is reluctant to go anywhere, so slow in gaining speed. Please tell me it's normal... Because it will be hell to replace a transmission where I am in Timor-Leste.
the 1NZ-FE is a 1.5L engine while the 1NR-FE is only 1.3L. Quite odd that a 1.3L engine is running AWD but it would sound underpowered to me.

the Asian 3rd gen Yaris is a 2NR-FE engine which is also 1.5L
Fluxtasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:33 AM   #3
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
1.3L AWD and Toyota's miserable CVT? Don't expect too much in the way of performance. I suspect slow is normal.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:09 AM   #4
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
A CVT also works differently from a traditional automatic or manual in that the engine RPMs can stay the same but the effective gear ratio to the wheels can change. I haven't driven one before but I imagine they would perform similar to a traditional trans. That behavior in a manual trans indicates clutch slippage. In an automatic it may be a lack of transmission fluid or worn clutch packs. Not sure what the cause of it would be in a CVT, but I second that the smaller engine will make even less power before all of the drivetrain losses--which will be higher in AWD than two wheel drive.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:58 AM   #5
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
This is normal, revs hold at a specific rpm (based on how much throttle you apply) and will hand there until you reach the speed you want and back off the throttle. They are surprisingly efficient and make a lot more sense but are weird to drive if you are not used to them. Snowmobiles and jet skis have been using them for years.

The car is just slow, it is a 1.3L with the drive train loss of an AWD, you are probably getting very little HP to the actual wheels.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:17 PM   #6
ddaru_chee
Daru

Drives: Toyota Vitz AWD 2014
Thanks guys, because I'm a bit paranoid, I'm planning to take it out of town for the first time ever this week, and I'm just scared that it won't have any power to go uphill.
ddaru_chee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:55 PM   #7
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaru_chee View Post
Thanks guys, because I'm a bit paranoid, I'm planning to take it out of town for the first time ever this week, and I'm just scared that it won't have any power to go uphill.
Put the throttle all the way down, it will be fine. Google the power output and weight of vehicles in the 80's and you won't question your yaris' power