Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-19-2009, 10:03 PM   #37
jekqmb
Local Sh*t Disturber

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post
Looking at past lap times from the track days it ran at, it was not fast - our Showroom Stock C Nissan project has put down faster laps at BRP. However, there are a ton of variables, we have no idea the talent level of the driver, and no idea what tires they were on.

Regardless, we are confident it will be quicker when we are done.

We are building the car for SCCA's H Production Club Racing class, with plans of taking the car to the National Championship Runoffs.

The only bad thing is, the National race season in this Division starts in January. At this time we believe we will make the Double National race at PIR, but the car will be largely stock. We only have time to make the required safety updates before that race, all of the go fast stuff will come later in the season.

We also have a number of problems to address... Power steering is not working, and there are some non SCCA class legal mods we have to undo. Development will keep us busy for a good part of the season.
Hopefully your not talking about a sentra, my old spec-v on k-sport coils and 16" Rotas feels like my Yaris does with trd springs/shocks and rear sway bar on stockers......I know many sentra auto-x'ers.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:21 PM   #38
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonStopTuning View Post
This looks like it'll be a great project car. I'm looking forward to seeing it out on track in 2010.

Good luck with the project Jason! Everyone at NST is rooting for ya!!!

Thanks Mike. We will try to keep this thread updated as we go... But once we start the build there won’t be many details online - we have to save something for the magazine.

We have some cool new stuff being developed for the car, hopefully the rest of the Yaris racers will benefit from it.

Spent all day on the car, got it on the scales, we need to drop about 260lbs to get down to the HP minimum weight. I took 100lbs out today.

There is some interesting wiring in here.

If there are any Tein fanbois that want these, come and get them. The panels have been cut to clear the door bars, but you could try to pull the suede off and put it on your panels, or just hang them in your garage.

Free if picked up. Located in South Orange County.

Last edited by Jason@SportsCar; 12-20-2009 at 12:48 AM.
Jason@SportsCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:52 PM   #39
Jason@SportsCar

So while I am a complete Yaris newb, I am pretty sure that these parts are not OE. Can anyone identify them?

The rear looks like an aftermarket lower valance has been molded on to the OE bumper, there is a label on it that says Premium.

The side skirts say Burnout.

No idea on the rear spoiler and front bumper.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:00 AM   #40
jekqmb
Local Sh*t Disturber

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB
Well if u sell the side skirts, i would be more then happy to buy them!
Old 12-20-2009, 12:03 AM   #41
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
you could probably lose another 10lbs just by taking off all the stickers :lol:
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:04 AM   #42
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
you could probably lose another 10lbs just by taking off all the stickers :lol:
Done.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:36 PM   #43
Jason@SportsCar

We need to find some OE bumpers.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...700#post426700
Old 12-22-2009, 12:07 AM   #44
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Drives: 07 Yaris
If I pay for shipping can I get the suede panels ....
Old 12-22-2009, 03:11 PM   #45
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

Drives: 06 Mazda Miata
Send a message via AIM to RacerFreakXXX
that whole body kit is burnout and the spoiler looks stock. if you need to shed some more lbs try switching to rollup windows and remove all the motors for anything power that's not needed.
RacerFreakXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:26 PM   #46
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerFreakXXX View Post
that whole body kit is burnout and the spoiler looks stock. if you need to shed some more lbs try switching to rollup windows and remove all the motors for anything power that's not needed.
That's a thought.... But no windows weighs less. As well as no HVAC, wipers, and the rest of the glass being replaced with Lexan.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:49 PM   #47
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Dude , Those A-pillars ( inside ) are prime for pillaging . Think about it , with the roll cage the pillars are just for show now . Silver dollar size holes . You could also do that with the doors and hatch frame also . Heck you could even take out any/all roof supports now . That is if the rules allow . Can you gut the dash ? Super glue the front side of all dash compartment doors shut . Then shave away the inside ( after removing the dash from the car ) . Just leave enough bracing to connect back to car .
Old 12-22-2009, 09:52 PM   #48
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTM Yaris View Post
Dude , Those A-pillars ( inside ) are prime for pillaging . Think about it , with the roll cage the pillars are just for show now . Silver dollar size holes . You could also do that with the doors and hatch frame also . Heck you could even take out any/all roof supports now . That is if the rules allow . Can you gut the dash ? Super glue the front side of all dash compartment doors shut . Then shave away the inside ( after removing the dash from the car ) . Just leave enough bracing to connect back to car .
There is not to much more metal we can remove without having issues with the rules.

The dash is just a shell now, compartment doors are gone, and so are about half the braces. Depending on what we do for an ECU, the cluster may go as well.

Still waiting on the race seat and new wheel.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:01 PM   #49
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Yeah I see the dash now ....time for a new monitor
Old 12-22-2009, 11:27 PM   #50
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I'm too chicken to strip mine that far..
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:37 AM   #51
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
these cars are so fun now bc they weight so little, i couldnt imagine actually doing a serious weight removal!

i had a 240 i raced for years, one night, we took EVERYTHING out that could unbolt other than the drivers seat, dash, and steering wheel. it was amazing, it was on lowering springs so it raised about an inch, and was ungodly fun to drive. we tried to put back as little as possible back in, but it wasnt quite the same
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:30 PM   #52
Jason@SportsCar

Spent some time on the car over the holiday. Cut a bunch more unneeded sheet metal out of the car, and disabled the steering lock.

Started to pull some of the wires we no longer need, but what a mess. The previous builders liked to use the twist and tape method of wiring. I doubt they actually built the car with this method, more likely in a hasty attempt to remove everything not bolted down (and some that were), they did this before they turned the car back over to Toyota.

Also found out why the power steering does not work, two wires cut right at the unit in the dash. So far I have not been able to track down the other ends.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:37 PM   #53
mojoyaris
Ecurie Snoopy Lives

Drives: Jojo
That FIA spec cage is probably overbuilt for the events. Are you able to mod it to make it lighter?

In a previous post, When the Tein Yaris was in Siphon, they took out the SC to make it a more even comparison to the old Spoon Fit. For most of the Time attacks that it was in, it was Supercharged. The cage is a heavy component of the car and some of those cars like th AJ racing Fit had the 1.5 but with turbo but no cage.
Another Fit had the K20 but the suspension setup was sloppy.
I heard that the Tein Yaris handled very well, but sadly didn't have the grunt that the other micro's had.

Love hearing about this car and glad it's going to good usage.
Western Canada Rally Association
Ecurie (Team) Snoopy Canada, racing since 1966
mojoyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:49 PM   #54
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoyaris View Post
That FIA spec cage is probably overbuilt for the events. Are you able to mod it to make it lighter?

In a previous post, When the Tein Yaris was in Siphon, they took out the SC to make it a more even comparison to the old Spoon Fit. For most of the Time attacks that it was in, it was Supercharged. The cage is a heavy component of the car and some of those cars like th AJ racing Fit had the 1.5 but with turbo but no cage.
Another Fit had the K20 but the suspension setup was sloppy.
I heard that the Tein Yaris handled very well, but sadly didn't have the grunt that the other micro's had.

Love hearing about this car and glad it's going to good usage.
This is not an FIA spec cage, it is missing a number of mandated bars.

On one hand it is overbuilt per SCCA specs, with three extra bars that are not required. However, it was made with the minimum size tubing 1.5". Considering the small size of the tubes, I will happily keep the extra bars.

Just last week I installed the optional dash bar in our SSC class Nissan , 1.75" tube, it only weighed 7lbs. So even if I cut away all the extras in the Yaris, I might only save 30lbs, not worth it.