Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-08-2013, 07:37 PM   #1
error404

Drives: Yaris
Yaris unable to go into Gear

Hello All
I have a Yaris 2006 5 door car
Today was driving on the motorway then all of a sudden the car seemed to be making a real rattle near where the gears were

so i had to pull over waited 2 hours for AA to be towed back home (Pretty miserable guy i had unfortunately but thats another story)

Now this is the Problem I have

Car Starts fine - switches the Engine revs fine breaks are fine

When i press the Clutch down it goes down fine no problem

Now with the engine off Foot down on the Cluth i try to move the gear stick to 1st and 2nd Gear refuses to move its like something is jamming it

3rd, 4th reverse goes through fine

Now I switch the Engine on trie to go into any gear makes this horrible rattling or scratching noise or like a spinning noise with something stuck in between

thus i am unable to move the car or anything

anyone has any suggestions what it can be

I did ask the AA guy because he was so miserable and uninterested first thing he said to me was "Bearings" then when i got towed away i asked him is it a big job to all he replied was "Gearbox"

I thought allow this guy uninterested to talk - so could not be bothered corresponding with him!

thanks
error404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
First thing to check is the hydraulic clutch. Have someone press the clutch up and down repeatedly while you look under the hood for something that moves (engine off) If nothing moves its the hydraulics of the clutch.