Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-07-2011, 04:07 PM   #1
bizarro

Drives: Yaris
How do I wire up buzzers to rear indicators?

I'm not the first to mention this, but my '08 Yaris has very quiet indicators and the sound is easily missed under road noise etc.

Somewhere I tracked down some buzzers which can be fitted, and bought some (from here).

There are two supplied in each pack, and the idea is to tap them into the wires powering the two rear indicator lights. Problem is, I cannot work out which.

In the photo (apologies for the quality), you should be able to see two pairs of wires: green and black, and yellow and white. The first pair are just underneath the indicator pod, and seemed to be the best bet. Nope - tapping the buzzer in here resulted in a noise every time the brakes were applied. Tapping in to the yellow and white produced no sound at all for any of the lighting functions.

Has anyone succeeded in doing this, or can tell me which wires to tap please?

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dsc03850.jpg (24.1 KB, 171 views)
bizarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:20 PM   #2
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
I'm confused, are you trying to make the turn signals audible(to remind you they are on)? "rear indicator" ?

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:09 AM   #3
bizarro

Yes, that's right. The idea is to make the turn signal lamps buzz as they flash on and off.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:31 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The yellow and white should be the correct wires on your car. The problem may be that the flash is too short for the buzzer to sound.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:42 AM   #5
bizarro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The yellow and white should be the correct wires on your car. The problem may be that the flash is too short for the buzzer to sound.
The alternative would be to augment the clicker which is too quiet to hear. Could a buzzer tap into that in some way??
Old 06-08-2011, 07:40 AM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarro View Post
The alternative would be to augment the clicker which is too quiet to hear. Could a buzzer tap into that in some way??
You could wire the chimes to the turn signal stalk instead of to the bulbs, that way they will receive a constant instead of pulsed feed. The black wire on the stalk connector is the left and the violet is the right. You would connect those wires to the negative lead of the buzzer and would connect the positive lead of the buzzers to a +12V source.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:26 AM   #7
bizarro

Quote:
You could wire the chimes to the turn signal stalk instead of to the bulbs, that way they will receive a constant instead of pulsed feed. The black wire on the stalk connector is the left and the violet is the right. You would connect those wires to the negative lead of the buzzer and would connect the positive lead of the buzzers to a +12V source.
Ok, sounds promising - and where would those wires be accessed - in the fusebox on the LHS (i.e. to the left of the steering wheel in the US, behind the parcel shelf in the UK)?
Old 06-08-2011, 08:28 AM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Ok, sounds promising - and where would those wires be accessed - in the fusebox on the LHS (i.e. to the left of the steering wheel in the US, behind the parcel shelf in the UK)?
Right at the connector for the turn signal stalk, so you remove the lower steering wheel cover to gain access.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:30 AM   #9
bizarro

Quote:
Right at the connector for the turn signal stalk, so you remove the lower steering wheel cover to gain access.
Okay, I see. And which colour wire would I tap for the 12V supply?
Old 06-08-2011, 08:40 AM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Okay, I see. And which colour wire would I tap for the 12V supply?
The pink wire on the keyswitch would be the easiest (provided you have a keyswitch and not the smart entry system).
Old 06-08-2011, 08:49 AM   #11
bizarro

Quote:
The pink wire on the keyswitch would be the easiest (provided you have a keyswitch and not the smart entry system).
Great. Thanks for all the help. I'll post how I get on.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:07 AM   #12
bizarro

Quote:
Great. Thanks for all the help. I'll post how I get on.
Ahem - the idea got vetoed by my wife. She didn't like the idea of the buzzer going off continually while the indicator was on. Fair point.

So - I've been trying to locate the actual clicker thing. Seems to be under the aforementioned lower steering wheel cover. How is that removed? Does the steering wheel have to be removed?
Old 06-12-2011, 10:44 PM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Ahem - the idea got vetoed by my wife. She didn't like the idea of the buzzer going off continually while the indicator was on. Fair point.

So - I've been trying to locate the actual clicker thing. Seems to be under the aforementioned lower steering wheel cover. How is that removed? Does the steering wheel have to be removed?
It's actually on the face of the under dash fuse panel. It is the largest relay on there and says FLASHER on it.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:22 PM   #14
Hartside

Drives: 2008 Yaris 1.3TR Hatchback
Would this work?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Indicator-Flas...item483cc9b522

I know what you mean about the flasher noise, guy pulled out on me the other day because I didn't realise I still had my indicator on - too quiet to hear
Hartside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:34 PM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartside View Post
Would this work?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Indicator-Flas...item483cc9b522

I know what you mean about the flasher noise, guy pulled out on me the other day because I didn't realise I still had my indicator on - too quiet to hear
No. The Yaris uses a proprietary 8 pin flasher module.

An easy and not too obnoxious fix would be to tap two loud clicking relays to the turn signal wires. All you would have to wire up is the coil. One lead would go to ground and the other to the turn signal wire. In post #48 of this thread, I show where to connect turn signal mirrors to the turn signal wires, where you would connect relays:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...t=34703&page=3
Old 06-13-2011, 02:38 PM   #16
Hartside

Drives: 2008 Yaris 1.3TR Hatchback
Thanks CTScott, I'll get a good read of that tonight
Hartside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:32 AM   #17
alang200

I wish Toyota would address this situation of inaudible traffic indicators. My Indicators do not cancel unless it is from a real positive turn of the steering wheel and I too have had someone pull out in front of me thinking I was going to turn left because the indicators had not automatically cancelled and I had not heard they were still on. Although this could ultimately be termed a design fault, it just needs a little plug in device and I don't mind a modest cost for such a device, and the sooner the safer. Anyone know of anything?
alang200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:34 AM   #18
bizarro

Quote:
Originally Posted by alang200 View Post
I wish Toyota would address this situation of inaudible traffic indicators. My Indicators do not cancel unless it is from a real positive turn of the steering wheel and I too have had someone pull out in front of me thinking I was going to turn left because the indicators had not automatically cancelled and I had not heard they were still on. Although this could ultimately be termed a design fault, it just needs a little plug in device and I don't mind a modest cost for such a device, and the sooner the safer. Anyone know of anything?
I put a link in my original post above.