Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-06-2013, 06:53 PM   #19
racerb

Drives: 2010 Yaris HB Blazin' Blue
I'll jump into this one also! I've raced several different FWD cars over the years, with a variety of HP numbers, none any less fun to drive than the other. My first was a 56HP Civic 1200, the second a 76HP Honda 1.5 CRX, third was a 90HP Nissan Pulsar, and lastly my 135HP Toyota Celica GTS. All four of these cars put a smile on your face, that couldn't be knocked off with a shovel, but only one was really fast. The Celica was speed limited from the factory, at a top speed of 125MPH max, it was truly the fastest. But that said, it was not the most fun car of the four on track, the Pulsar was like driving a go-cart and made up for it's low HP in great handling and braking.

I guess what I'm getting at is HP numbers are great, but only if the car is also set up properly to handle it. A better handling, better braking car can put more smiles on your face, than any straight line numbers ever will!

racerb
'98 Rav4L
'01 Tundra SR5
racerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:56 PM   #20
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerb View Post
I'll jump into this one also! I've raced several different FWD cars over the years, with a variety of HP numbers, none any less fun to drive than the other. My first was a 56HP Civic 1200, the second a 76HP Honda 1.5 CRX, third was a 90HP Nissan Pulsar, and lastly my 135HP Toyota Celica GTS. All four of these cars put a smile on your face, that couldn't be knocked off with a shovel, but only one was really fast. The Celica was speed limited from the factory, at a top speed of 125MPH max, it was truly the fastest. But that said, it was not the most fun car of the four on track, the Pulsar was like driving a go-cart and made up for it's low HP in great handling and braking.

I guess what I'm getting at is HP numbers are great, but only if the car is also set up properly to handle it. A better handling, better braking car can put more smiles on your face, than any straight line numbers ever will!

racerb
I totally agree...

I live in a canyon and ride a supermoto...

It's not a fast bike... but I learned that a slow bike can take a curve just as fast as a fast bike can. It's all about handling.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:44 PM   #21
racerb

Drives: 2010 Yaris HB Blazin' Blue
This kinda says it all......
https://sphotos-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/h...49615975_n.jpg

racerb
'98 Rav4L
'01 Tundra SR5
racerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #22
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
James is running the s/c and has dynos showing 151+ whp. I've asked him to post up in either forum so we can take a look.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:26 PM   #23
Blown_xa

Drives: Scion xA
The most whp I saw with my Blitz charger was 121whp. That was with header, intake, exhaust. A 35whp gain from stock, not shabby. However, you must have boost hold....... 6psi is when the belt slips, I saw 9psi once I figured out the best belt to use ( yes, with stock pullies). Then I ran into shearing crank pulley pins because the belt not slipping is too much strain on the factory crank pulley roll pin. The Blitz supercharger was too inconsistent for me and moved on from it, I do miss the sound though. After I added a 35 shot of nitrous, that setup was more fun.

Ptuning.com
Blown_xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:43 AM   #24
Terrorize
Toyota Newb!!

Drives: Yaris S Sedan w/ Aero Package!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
Through a lot of collaborative efforts with Scott and my tuner we have actually been able to determine a LOT about what you can expect from the stock fuel system and 1zz injectors. Just installing the injectors alone will give you a little more fuel, but also bumping up the FP will make a big difference too. I would not go any larger than 1zz injectors for a reliable build as you will just be wasting a lot of fuel and money. You have to decide which mentality you are going to take:

1) all I care about is numbers
2) all I care about is getting to whatever speeds I want in the shortest time
3) I really want to have the most fun that I can for the least amount of cash for the longest time

One thing to remember is that the 1zz injectors aren't really that much larger than stock. There are tons of folks out there that think throwing bigger injectors are the cure for adding more power. No matter how you slice it for every pound of boost you should be going up 1psi of fuel pressure. With a stock regulator at a static 43/44 you leave power on the table as well as lose longevity of the motor. Sure, some may argue that 6psi of SC boost isn't enough to really matter, but it does. It is kind of like having a turbo with no additional fuel management and running 3-5psi. Sure, you can do it, but if you are going to make the investment why leave so much on the table and yet deal with the possible risks.

P.S. > I get asked all of the time what numbers I am putting down. Honestly I could care less as long as I get the results I want to the pavement, have fun, and at least have some semblance of not sitting in a gas station every other day. Numbers are numbers...just that. Have you been in a 150hp Yaris yet? if you haven't really how do you know what you truly want. You could very well be happy with a 130hp build or 150 may not give you the effect you are looking for. Lastly, different dyno chassis provide different numbers as well as different results depending on environmental variables. Just food for thought.
Hey so how do I go about bumping up FP? Install an after market Fuel regulator? Any suggestions?
Terrorize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #25
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
No matter how you slice it for every pound of boost you should be going up 1psi of fuel pressure.
What? So at 24 psi, I should be running 24 more psi of fuel pressure? And blown_xA will need +40 psi of fuel pressure?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote