Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-29-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
LugNut

Drives: 2007 2DR Liftback
Question Shiny glass-looking plastic flakes from HVAC, and windshield

Hello all!

Newbie here, but long-time user of other similar forums including www.rav4world.com.

Looking at buying a neglected 2007 Yaris Hatchback with typical issues, but a couple that I need some advice on before I make a firm offer:

1) There's shiny little flakes of plastic coming out of the top and bottom air ducts, into the cabin, especially when on high-fan. The flakes look like broken pieces of safety glass, but aren't -- they are thin-film plastic. I'm guessing its some factory insulation that's already breaking down. Did a quick search here, but didn't quickly find if this is common. But either way:

Is this failing plastic after (downstream of) the heater core and AC evaporator, or before them (upstream)?

Anyone replace this failing stuff, and if so, what's involved/cost/etc.?

2) The front windshield has a quarter-size impact/star crack. Repair places aren't open today here, but a remote quote was US$150 for a repair, $380 to replace the windshield. Any experiences/cost comparisons?

Thanks! I'm a heavy-duty D-I-Y'er (including engines, transmissions, electrical, etc.), so hopefully I can make a deal for the Yaris and be a regular here.
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote