Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-22-2017, 02:58 PM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Self driving cars liability issues

I wonder have the people developing self driving cars ever considered who will be found liable for an accident in them? Since no one is driving them the driver can’t be charged in an accident or a moving violation. Only the manufacture can be. I have to believe they will take a financial beating as they have deep pockets and people are going to get in line to sue them.

Has anyone read anything about the legal ramifications to the manufacturers of self driving cars?
Old 11-22-2017, 05:32 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
As far as I know, the human driver is expected to be aware of what the car is doing at all times and be prepared to take control should something go wrong. Self driving is not an opportunity to catch up on your sleep, emails, or sex.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 11-22-2017, 08:41 PM   #3
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Yeah, and I believe manufacturers already warns users to stay alert and shouldn't use the feature under certain conditions.

So, no, you aren't backing out of your driveway with autopilot lol

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-22-2017, 09:56 PM   #4
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
As far as I know, the human driver is expected to be aware of what the car is doing at all times and be prepared to take control should something go wrong. Self driving is not an opportunity to catch up on your sleep, emails, or sex.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Yet, knowing the nature of most people that is exactly what they will be doing while the car is self-driving. Heck, people have already started in regular cars thanks to runaway social media + smartphones and the highly addictive quality it apparently has on certain personality types and mindsets.

Last edited by Kalispel; 11-22-2017 at 10:15 PM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 04:11 AM   #5
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
The people designing self driving cars believe the car will drive itself with no help from humans. The idea that the car can drive itself but there is a human to take over in case something goes wrong will never work.It’s all or nothing.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:25 PM   #6
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
I can't help but to keep pointing back to the data. Once the data tells us that, on average, self-driving vehicles are involved in fewer accidents, then it makes sense, even if they're not 100% perfect. Humans never will be, so as long as self-driving cars crash at a lower rate than humans, we're winning and lives are being saved.

Like I said before, for me, I just hope to always have the choice between the two. I would not enjoy a world where the driving privilege is revoked.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:25 PM   #7
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Everywhere you look, so many drivers paying so little attention to actually driving their cars these days. Self-driving cars will reduce the number of accidents on the road and permit these morons to become completely consumed by their GD cellphone addiction. Pathetic state of affairs.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:49 PM   #8
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Everywhere you look, so many drivers paying so little attention to actually driving their cars these days. Self-driving cars will reduce the number of accidents on the road and permit these morons to become completely consumed by their GD cellphone addiction. Pathetic state of affairs.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote