Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-24-2009, 01:37 PM   #1
jake002

Drives: Yaris 2007 Sedan
Yaris does not start

Hi All,
A week ago my wife started the car (2007 yaris sedan...purchased in 04/2006) using the remote starter and it started fine.
We decided not to drive that morning and the car engine stopped after the 5 minutes or so.

That evening we tried to start the car again and it would not start again. The lights come on all the accessories work fine. The wipers come on. However, the car does not start, no clicks no engine startup noise or cranking. Nothing at all. The engine does not start with the remote starter OR manually (key start)

The remote starter does not unlock/lock the car either. We can unlock car from the one master key...so I am confused why the remote would not work to atleast lock/unlock.

We thought the battery had died due to the cold(-25deg Celsius) so we tried charging it using a battery pack...that did not work either.

I checked the main starter fuse and it looks ok.

The battery light comes on when I put the keys in and stays there (the engine does not start so I guess it will go off only when the engine starts).

Any ideas/tips on what the problem could be? Maybe the battery pack itself is not enough to charge the battery (even though it has charged my MPV van before).?
Thanks for any help/pointers

edit: btw, the transmission is Automatic.
-Jake

Last edited by jake002; 12-24-2009 at 01:38 PM. Reason: additional info
jake002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 03:03 PM   #2
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Dead battery.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 04:37 PM   #3
JBIZZ

Drives: 2007 Liftback white
Maybe the battery is bad and doesn't have enough crank power. Other than that maybe a fuse or relay. It doesn't make sense that the doors will not remotely unlock, so that's probably related to the problem. I would suggest trying to start it in neutral, but don't think the neutral switch is the problem.

Last edited by JBIZZ; 12-24-2009 at 04:50 PM.
JBIZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 05:16 PM   #4
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
do you have access to a voltmeter?

also, a visual inspection of a fuse is not 100% accurate... i have seen fuses that were blown that still looked ok

also, if the remote start is aftermarket which i am assuming that it is, there may be a problem with the way that it is wired in... my suggestion is to first check the battery, which if you remove the battery and take to your local parts store, they can check it... this will also serve a secondary purpose of removing power from the system for long enough that if there is a capacitor in the remote start system that is keeping it from starting, it will discharge...

if still will not start, contact the tech that installed the remote start first to have him check it, then contact dealer...

i like this smiley...
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 06:21 PM   #5
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Most likely battery has enough voltage to power minor accesories but not enough amperage to fire up the starter. Especially common when its cold outside. A battery that is weak will fail when its cold. But might be able start the car when its warmer.

Double check your charger pack if its charged. Maybe try to use normal jumper cables off another car and see what happens. Otherwise really theres only a few other options. A seized up starter. Or faulty ignition. Faulty ignition may send the signal for key on but not send signal for cranking so starter never gets the signal to crank. You can try to jiggle the key while turning sometimes this may work if its electrical portion of starter that is failing.

If all else fails you may have to tow it to a shop for diagnosis. Make sure its one you can trust cause usually when shops see a car come in on the hook they go cha-ching.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:06 PM   #6
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
remote starter fault
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:34 PM   #7
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
No fuel ,
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:22 AM   #8
Sidicas

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1NZYaris1 View Post
No fuel ,
Haha, that's what I thought too... Accidently hit the remote starter and burned up all your gas, but he said it doesn't even attempt to turn the engine over so I'd think that the battery is bad or the starter is burned out.
Sidicas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:01 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Try unplugging the remote starter module's harness for a minute (or pull the negative battery terminal off for a minute). It sounds like the remote starter module is hung and needs to be reset. If it is wired with the anti-grind mode, then it will prevent the key switch from cranking the starter if it thinks the engine is running (or if it hung while the engine was running).
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:32 PM   #10
jake002

Thanks for all your help guys!

I thought I would test the battery first...so we hooked it to a charger and charged it completely overnight.

No luck.

There is enough fuel...so thats out as a likely cause. I cannot start the car in neutral either.

So looks like it could be the remoter starter. Why would the key not start the car if its just the remote starter....
Maybe you have the explanation above CTScott.

However why will the master key remote lock/unlock work while the remote starter lock/unlock does not....with either of my remote starters.

Where can i find the remote starter harness?
The remote starter is installed by toyota and not after market (the dealer installed it before I got the keys...if it did not come installed already).

Thanks again for your help.
-Jake
Old 12-28-2009, 06:41 PM   #11
silver_echo
ekodrvr

i really think that there must be a capacitor that is not discharging, and needs to be... disconnect the battery, then after you disconnect the battery, leave it unhooked for at least 10 minutes... then reattach the battery and see if it works from there... fair warning, this will remove all programming from the stereo and clock

edit: wait a second, hey scott, is the remote start also an engine kill? and is it possible that it might be hung up and waiting for input from the remote and the remote has a dead battery?

i like this smiley...
Old 12-28-2009, 07:08 PM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake002 View Post

I thought I would test the battery first...so we hooked it to a charger and charged it completely overnight.

No luck.

There is enough fuel...so thats out as a likely cause. I cannot start the car in neutral either.

So looks like it could be the remoter starter. Why would the key not start the car if its just the remote starter....

However why will the master key remote lock/unlock work while the remote starter lock/unlock does not....with either of my remote starters.

The remote starter is installed by toyota and not after market (the dealer installed it before I got the keys...if it did not come installed already).

-Jake
The most likely place for the remote starter is under the steering column. The plastic panel is hinged, so you just pull it down to gain access. If you can't easily find it, then just try disconnecting the negative battery lead for a couple of minutes, as that would have the same effect.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:11 PM   #13
jake002

Thanks Scott and Silver

Will try unplugging the remote starter or disconnecting the battery tomorrow. Will let you know how it works out.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:51 PM   #14
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
Could nevertheless still be a bad battery. If an internal connection in the battery is broken, the electrical system will sometimes still show signs of life, but it won't take any serious load, like operating the starter. A good ad hoc test is to turn on the headlights and see if everything else dies. If not, try starting while observing the headlights. If the lights die, it indicates a low charge or bad battery. If they stay bright, could be a stater problem.

Another thing to try when having this kind of problem is cleaning the battery terminal clamps. Can't hurt - might help.
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:05 PM   #15
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Quote:

No luck.

-Jake

just as a note, try checking the battery in the remote as well... that specifically sounds like a dead remote battery

i like this smiley...
Old 12-31-2009, 12:30 PM   #16
jake002

Problem Resolved

Scott and Silver,
Disconnecting the negative of the terminal did the trick. You guys were right.

Thanks a lot for all your help. The issue came at the worst possible time (financially) so this takes a load of my chest! I really needed one dependable vehicle.

I'm not too good at cars bur am a software geek (and entrepreneur). So if you ever need any advice on software/animation/branding/social media...do look me up. I will be really glad to return the favor.

A happy new year to all!! You guys have helped my family and me start it off on the right note!!!

Stay Safe out there!!!
Old 12-31-2009, 02:08 PM   #17
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Scott and Silver,
Disconnecting the negative of the terminal did the trick. You guys were right.

Thanks a lot for all your help. The issue came at the worst possible time (financially) so this takes a load of my chest! I really needed one dependable vehicle.

I'm not too good at cars bur am a software geek (and entrepreneur). So if you ever need any advice on software/animation/branding/social media...do look me up. I will be really glad to return the favor.

A happy new year to all!! You guys have helped my family and me start it off on the right note!!!

Stay Safe out there!!!

Excellent! Glad to hear it back working without having to hand someone a fist full of bills. Out of curiosity, what brand is the remote starter?
Old 12-31-2009, 05:02 PM   #18
jake002

the starter came with the car...so 'toyota' would be the answer?