Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-23-2010, 07:51 PM   #1
slothman86

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Water Pump being replaced... Rental Car!

Today, I was up for an oil change so I popped the hood just to make sure everything was in order, oh noes water pump out! So I take it in to the dealership...(warranty) and get it replaced, so they give me a rental car for the day...

The prius is a really nice car, took a few mins to get used to the strange gear shift. After a short time it was all second nature. I really couldn't tell I was driving a hybrid. I took it well past 80mph on the highway with out even trying. My wife is really impressed with this vehicle. The model we drove was only 23,000 and had some really cool features.

So I have it till tomorrow and I am driving it every chance I get!
Old 06-23-2010, 10:56 PM   #2
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
the new PRIUS got MOTORWEEKs' " 2010 Best of the Year " . Said it rides much better than its predecessors . www.mpt.org/motorweek/dc2010/00.shtml . We had an '07 PRIUS with the 1.5 ltr. ( I.C.E.) . Got well over 50 miles to the gallon . Overall average was likely 45 m.p.g. . That includes cold weather . Did very well in the snow and ice with the GOODYEAR Infinity ( ? ) thanks to V.S.C. and T.C.. The weight of the battery under rear seat helped as well . Didn't care for the rubber bladder for the gas tank . Very difficult to fill to get accurate m.p.g. . The new one has a better tank , no rubber bladder that I'm aware of . A friend had a PRIUS for a loaner and didn't like it because it was too quiet when in the electric mode and would never buy one due to that . ENJOY .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:38 PM   #3
Vioz

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Vioz
downside, at least where i live, if you have a prius you are going to be picked on on the highway on the way to work by big trucks and such, they treat you like a piece of crap lol, but my parents have a 2010 prius and its freaking crazy i took only 1 ride in it and wow i was very impressed truthfully.

Vioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:13 AM   #4
wiliker

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
I had the 2001 model for 8 years. Was/is such a good car (parents are driving it now). Eventually I will go back to some type of hybrid or alternative fuel vehicle in the future. In the meantime I'll enjoy my Yaris
wiliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:35 AM   #5
Hershey

at one time TOYOTA was going to have a base model ( less power windows , locks , etc. ) PRIUS for under $20,000 to compete with the INSIGHT . Thanks to the lower gas prices and the poor economy it looks like it got nixed .
Old 06-24-2010, 12:24 PM   #6
slothman86

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
I returned it today, but I can tell you that it wasn't any slower than the yaris. It was really refined as well. I thought my Yaris was falling apart after driving the Prius around for a day.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:55 PM   #7
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
I heard the new iQ might be coming out as a hybrid in the future as well.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:19 PM   #8
Billiam

Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
I nearly bought a '10 Prius III before deciding to save a few bucks and get the Yaris. I can tell you that the Prius is a vastly superior vehicle. It's no slower than the Yaris (maybe even a little quicker), much better interior, much better ride quality, a lot more room. Oh...and there's that whole 50 mpg in the city thing!
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:49 PM   #9
bobolinko
Bob

Drives: Yaris and Scion XD 5 spd BSP
Temporary Praises...

Everyone are now singing all flavors of praise for their new 50MPG Hybrids....

Till they have to replace those $2,000 to $4,000 Batteries that last maybe 5 years.... and weigh a ton (makes for a great ride tho...)

Then, they will be singin' the BLUES, cause their savings are not going to amount to anywhere close to what they'll have to pay for those new batteries...

Whilst we poor souls, leave our savings achieved from buying smaller 32mpg economical cars, in the bank.....

I can't wait to see that day.

bobolinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:31 PM   #10
Billiam

Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobolinko View Post

Till they have to replace those $2,000 to $4,000 Batteries that last maybe 5 years.... and weigh a ton (makes for a great ride tho...
How do you explain 13 year old gen-1 Prius with 200K+ mile on them still running strong?

Trust me...I did tons of research on them when I was considering one. Take a look on PruisChat for yourself. These cars are very durable and reliable. For every case you hear of a battery pack failing early, there are 1000's and 1000's running flawlessly.

BTW, Toyota backs the hybrid components (battery included) for 8 years/ 100,000 miles.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:31 PM   #11
chai
Go Duke!

Drives: '09 Sedan AT
Quote:

Till they have to replace those $2,000 to $4,000 Batteries that last maybe 5 years.... and weigh a ton (makes for a great ride tho...)

Then, they will be singin' the BLUES, cause their savings are not going to amount to anywhere close to what they'll have to pay for those new batteries...

Whilst we poor souls, leave our savings achieved from buying smaller 32mpg economical cars, in the bank.....

I like the Prius as well, but when I was looking for a car, I chose the Yaris because I got the 4dr automatic sedan for less than HALF of what a base-model Prius would have cost. I needed a reliable, inexpensive DD.

I still get 35mpg driving aggressively.

With snow tires on separate steel rims I don't have any second thoughts driving in the snow in the winter. Maintenance is simple and completely DIY for those of us who are so inclined.

There are plenty of other cars I might "want" but the only one I "need" (and can afford at the moment) is the Yaris.
chai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:47 PM   #12
Hershey

Quote:

the short battery life is not always the case . There are PRIUS used for taxi fleets in CANADA for many years that the batteries have a long fulfilling life .
Old 08-11-2010, 04:14 AM   #13
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
As far as cargo room the Prius rear window is too low for my Parrot cage while my little LB has plenty of height. Good for stuffed chairs and big boxes too. Great for dogs and mt.lions too.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote