Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-24-2018, 02:10 PM   #73
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Yaris View Post
Coincidently, do these spoilers do anything on our cars? Is there any downward force being exerted?
10 whp in cool factor. Maybe keep window glass a bit cleaner. Down force nil.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2018, 03:08 PM   #74
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Well, I dig it! Coincidently, do these spoilers do anything on our cars? Is there any downward force being exerted?
If I remember correctly, our cars are governed by aerodynamics. Drag keeps them from going much over 115 mph. I think the added drag from the spoiler brings down the top speed lol. They do look cool, though.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:31 PM   #75
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Looks good to me. Love those factory alloys, too. I think this car would level up 100 cool points if you installed some lowering springs. It would make a huge impact.
Oh, don't get me started. LOL! I agree. I confess as much as I like the look of the lowered Yari, I have not even glanced at pricing for a drop, or what's involved. I think my next move is a rear sway bar, so I'm keeping my eyes out for a used one before dropping a few hundred on a new one.

What all is involved in dropping the car?

I am seriously thinking about swapping out my new 195/60R15s that I just put on my '08 with the 185/6015 Michelin Defenders that are currently on my '06. If the 195s plus Penguin spacers will fit without rubbing on my '06, I think it would be a stellar look. If I did that I bet I'd be pushing it, especially if a drop becomes a factor.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:36 PM   #76
06YarisRS

Quote:
Well, I dig it! Coincidently, do these spoilers do anything on our cars? Is there any downward force being exerted?
Thanks! Not sure, but I do know that on my old Grand Caravan, the application of a rear spoiler kept the liftgate window a heck of a lot cleaner. LOL!

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 04-24-2018, 08:49 PM   #77
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
10 whp in cool factor.
No question!

Old 04-25-2018, 11:40 AM   #78
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
What all is involved in dropping the car?
My experience was spending roughly $200 on a set of springs and having a friend help me install them one sunny afternoon. There are cheaper spring options and good install walk-throughs here on the forum.

On Wheelwell
Old 04-25-2018, 03:28 PM   #79
06YarisRS

Quote:
My experience was spending roughly $200 on a set of springs and having a friend help me install them one sunny afternoon. There are cheaper spring options and good install walk-throughs here on the forum.
Awesome. Thanks! I like the idea of a drop but I wouldn't want to go more than 1.5" max. We live in a rural area and I need clearance for the various rodents and other small critters that suicidely charge onto the road.

On eBay springs range from ~$70.00 up to a few hundred. In the pricing middle are sets of Manzo springs. Know anything about them? I did read warnings about cheaper, so called "JDM" knockoffs, so would probably avoid those. Open ears for any advice/recommendations.

I'm going to search the forums on installation procedures. This is a project that I might undertake so long as it wouldn't interfere with my wheels/tires and also didn't require a lot of extra measures like camber adjustment. An alignment, I would, of course, be willing to do.

Old 04-25-2018, 03:33 PM   #80
WeeYari

I've driven all over your province dropped 1.5"

My recommendation should you decide to lower, go with something like Eibach Prokits at 1.1". These are the springs that Toyota Canada actually sold for lowering springs, not TRDs at 1.25"
Old 04-25-2018, 03:53 PM   #81
06YarisRS

Quote:
I've driven all over your province dropped 1.5"

My recommendation should you decide to lower, go with something like Eibach Prokits at 1.1". These are the springs that Toyota Canada actually sold for lowering springs, not TRDs at 1.25"
Sage advice, I believe. I did see a set of other brand springs that stated 1.3" drop and I kinda liked that idea, but 1.1" sounds even better. I expect thse Eibach springs ain't cheap though. Will search online. Thanks!

Old 04-25-2018, 04:47 PM   #82
ern-diz

Megan Racing isn't the highest level brand, but it's good, solid quality and doesn't break the bank. I think they provide a 1.5" drop on these cars.

On Wheelwell
Old 04-25-2018, 06:03 PM   #83
06YarisRS

Quote:

Megan Racing isn't the highest level brand, but it's good, solid quality and doesn't break the bank. I think they provide a 1.5" drop on these cars.
Thanks. Will have a look at those.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:13 PM   #84
WeeYari

Megans are what I was running. Decent ride quality with 1.5" drop front and rear. Problem with Megan is their powder coat sucks. Cracks and begins flaking off in second year.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:26 PM   #85
06YarisRS

Quote:
Megans are what I was running. Decent ride quality with 1.5" drop front and rear. Problem with Megan is their powder coat sucks. Cracks and begins flaking off in second year.

Ah, good to know about the ride quality. I've always been surprised that powder coat would even last that long given the continuous flexing.