Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-30-2014, 07:27 PM   #1
bairjo

Any benefit to changing just the oil filter?

No this isn't a "what oil filter should I use thread." However, I have seen the links etc, to the various studies regarding oil filter life and performance. With the long life synthetics out there, my question is it worth considering changing just the oil filter half way through the long run between oil changes? Say you go 7000 miles on a synthetic oil change you would change the filter around 3500 miles. I guess my concern that prompted this question is that all oil filters reach their point of saturation at some point, or may start not perform as well. Yes the oil may be performing but the grime may be working against it.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:33 PM   #2
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
I'm going to go on a limb and say technically, technically, yes there is a benefit. The problem is that it's not economical. At all.
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:48 PM   #3
wufai

Drives: Silver Yaris Sedan (4A)
hmm... Interesting, but have you ever changed an oil filter before? the filter is usually located at the bottom of the engine, and requires you to completly remove the oil first before you can remove the filter.

unless you want to refill your engine with used oil. I won't recommand it since oil is not that expensive anyways. I would rather change both more frequently.
wufai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:07 PM   #4
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wufai View Post
hmm... Interesting, but have you ever changed an oil filter before? the filter is usually located at the bottom of the engine, and requires you to completly remove the oil first before you can remove the filter.
That's not true. Oil filters, AFAIK, are never below the level of the oil (unless you have a remote filter or dry sump oil system or some weird non-factory setup); the oil pan is below the crank while the filter is above the crank so you can change the filter before draining the oil.

As for changing just the filter, it won't hurt to change the filter in between a full oil change but unless you know your engine is leaving a lot of "gunk" in the filter and plugging it up, there is no reason to. You're just wasting time and money.

There are people out there who NEVER change their oil. All they do is change the filter and add oil to make up for oil lost due to leakage or what was in the filter.
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:56 PM   #5
nortonfb

Drives: 2007
A buddy of mine who is a auto engineer,licensed test driver, etc..
He uses the oil sampling mailings to change oil, but he changes filters every
5000 miles.
The last car he got rid of was a 1992 corolla with 300+. His grand daughter is driving it.
norton
nortonfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:57 PM   #6
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
The oil filter is designed to only hold so much. So if you wanted extended life, you would need a filter recommended for that mileage.

Toyota filters are designed for 5k miles changes in North America.

I am trying 15-25k miles change with amsoil signature series oil. I did buy their long life filter. Will see how it turns out after a year.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:59 AM   #7
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by bairjo View Post
No this isn't a "what oil filter should I use thread." However, I have seen the links etc, to the various studies regarding oil filter life and performance. With the long life synthetics out there, my question is it worth considering changing just the oil filter half way through the long run between oil changes? Say you go 7000 miles on a synthetic oil change you would change the filter around 3500 miles. I guess my concern that prompted this question is that all oil filters reach their point of saturation at some point, or may start not perform as well. Yes the oil may be performing but the grime may be working against it.

Technically the OF should be changed at the interval specified in the OM which is NOT 7000, 10,000, 25,000 etc miles along with the oil. Now with people advocating longer and longer oil change intervals the service life of the OF has been largely ignored. So you have a point there.

If you change your oil per the OM then theres no chance to do dammage from a worn out oil filter. Incidently there are no "long life" motor oils out there per the OM. They all MUST BE changed at the same interval according to it.

Theres your answer.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:37 AM   #8
bairjo

Thank you Bronsin. I was wondering when he mentioned "Long Life" filters what that meant in miles. What you say makes sense in that all oil filters are rated for the same amount of service. Otherwise they would have a rating on them, sort of like tires. I'll stick to the regular maintenance schedule.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:48 AM   #9
aspro

Drives: 2011 Yaris RS 5 door 5 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by bairjo View Post
Thank you Bronsin. I was wondering when he mentioned "Long Life" filters what that meant in miles. What you say makes sense in that all oil filters are rated for the same amount of service. Otherwise they would have a rating on them, sort of like tires. I'll stick to the regular maintenance schedule.
I second doing regular maintenance intervals and changing oil and filter at the same time.

Put it like this; It would be like changing your right sock on your foot today and changing the left sock next week. Why? :p lol

TRD sway bar, h&r coilovers, tanabe strut tower bar, konig feather, bfg sport comp 2, MI intake manifold, aem cai, dc header, trd catback, MI crank pulley, trd short shift kit, phillips hid kit, morimoto led fogs, parrot navi indash, alpine 6.5 speakers, alpine amp, alpine reverse camera, led interior lights, thule roof racks, netz badges...
aspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:31 PM   #10
bairjo

All I was trying to find out was if changing the filter only in between the regular oil changes had merit. I sense that it does if someone is going to extend the mileage that they are changing oil due to the long life of synthetics. When you are running an oil that will not break down for 7 to 8000 miles you almost have to do this since the oil filters will not last as long as the oil. So keep it simple and go by the Toyota recommendation. That being said, sounds like laying out the money for super duper synthetic for longer life is a waste of money.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:43 PM   #11
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
You can go extended oil change as per oil quality. Like amsoil signature series advertises 15-25k miles intervals or once a year when combined with their long life oil filters.

But, keep in mind that toyota will not honour warranty, say on your piston rings for oil consumption because you did not follow toyota's maintenance schedule.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:00 PM   #12
sheekeebut
Minimalist

Drives: 07 silver sedan
Extra protection is what they tout. I still wouldn't use that as pretense for extending oil change cycles.

I'll still buy it, though. I just wait for the sale and stock up on the full synthetic.
sheekeebut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 02:19 PM   #13
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
yes, there is a benefit. but is it worth it? though i believe so, it still depends on you, if you have that $7 to spare.

OEM oil filters cost only about $7, change it yourself, just handtighten it, and youre set for another 3500mi.
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:39 PM   #14
bairjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wufai View Post

unless you want to refill your engine with used oil. I won't recommand it since oil is not that expensive anyways. I would rather change both more frequently.
You are wrong...The oil pan is at the bottom, not the filter.
So, if you remove the filter first, you may get one more teaspoon of oil than if you drained the oil pan first .
Old 10-03-2014, 04:03 PM   #15
sheekeebut
Minimalist

I think he meant to point out that simply the act of changing only the oil filter is time consuming enough (hoist/jack, drip tray, cleanup, refilling oil). Therefore any cost benefit from keeping the old oil would be sacrificed through labour. Get them both done at the same time and you have a fresh filter, fresh oil, and all in one "appointment".
Old 10-03-2014, 04:53 PM   #16
jcboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheekeebut View Post
I think he meant to point out that simply the act of changing only the oil filter is time consuming enough (hoist/jack, drip tray, cleanup, refilling oil). Therefore any cost benefit from keeping the old oil would be sacrificed through labour. Get them both done at the same time and you have a fresh filter, fresh oil, and all in one "appointment".
Makes sense.

If the OP meant to ask the opinion of being worth the labor, he'll probably get mixed responses from any forum.

But if he meant the logical benefit having a fresh filter with used oil, i believe there is. The quality of the oil (molecular integrity) won't be much better, but at least there will be more deposits that can be filtered from circulating into the engine.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:01 PM   #17
sheekeebut
Minimalist

Definitely benefit in re-filtering that oil, more particulates removed. The oil's current state of "freshness" well remain, though, and that would probably take higher priority, considering all the abuse it takes.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:21 AM   #18
jcboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheekeebut View Post
Definitely benefit in re-filtering that oil, more particulates removed. The oil's current state of "freshness" well remain, though, and that would probably take higher priority, considering all the abuse it takes.
Haha yeah, it most likely will take higher priority than having "slightly" more deposits. Guess we're left with the OP just deciding for himself.