Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-11-2015, 05:21 PM   #55
Flammable

Drives: 2012 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I love New Jersey gas prices, but that attendant fill up law (similar law in Oregon ) drives me crazy. I once drove north from Fort Lee to go to the Palisades Mall and paid more to get gas in Nyack because I didn't feel like 'playing the part of being unaware of the law' that day trying to fill up myself in New Jersey. I've never had New Jersey plates (only CA and TX) and have been able to pump my own gas there a few times.
Yes both NJ and Oregon need to send the attendant law the way of the dodo bird. Same goes for the silly time change twice a year.. Sheesh here we are almost 20 years into the 21st century and still following customs from knuckle dragging days lol.
Flammable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 11:36 PM   #56
LittleIndian

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan Red
I drive a 2009 Yaris base sedan. When it reaches close to empty, the gas the gauge starts to blink. I've gone close to 20ish miles while blinking until I filled the tank. Based on how much fuel the fill was I was able to tell that I had used only 1/2 a gallon from the point of gauge blinking and fill up. I could have gone another 20 miles before the car died from no gas left.
LittleIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:37 AM   #57
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleIndian View Post
I drive a 2009 Yaris base sedan. When it reaches close to empty, the gas the gauge starts to blink. I've gone close to 20ish miles while blinking until I filled the tank. Based on how much fuel the fill was I was able to tell that I had used only 1/2 a gallon from the point of gauge blinking and fill up. I could have gone another 20 miles before the car died from no gas left.
The blinking was something I don't remember noticing until someone pointed it out on a thread. With the 2nd Gen gauge with the bars, I would just keep a mental note of what the 'miles on tank =' at each bar drop. I got so good at judging it that I often was 5-10 miles short of running out of gas (I was always starting from the same reference point because I always fill until I can just barely see the gas in the neck). However, for some reason 'the bar setup' sort of motivated me to see how close I could come without running out of gas (not to mention that it doesn't hurt to actually use one's AAA membership to get value for what you are paying for0. I'd guess I've probably run out of gas 8-9 times in my 2007. Once after I had just pulled into the driveway of a gas station .

With the 3rd Gen, I've noticed that I have just under three gallons to exhaustion when the warning light comes on (100-130 miles), so I try to get gas within the first 100 miles after the light first comes on. I have yet to run out of gas.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote