Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-16-2009, 09:11 AM   #1
justcrash

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris S
Please Help: Air Conditioner Leaking

Ok, I have a 2007 Toyota Yaris S. It has issues. Usually it manages to suck up a piece of paper into the heating system and it sounds like a playing card stuck in a bicycle tire. No idea how to avoid that or fix it.

Now (and I gotta believe this is related) every time I turn a corner I hear water slushing behind my glove box. Water comes out and onto the carpet, and my car smells like mold.

This is the second time this has happened. The last time I took it in and they told me it was clogged?!? How is that possible and how do I avoid it? More importantly, how can I fix this? I don't want to be taking this thing in and paying to have this obvious flaw fixed every 6 weeks (it's been about that long since the last time I took it in). :(

Last edited by justcrash; 06-16-2009 at 10:32 AM.
justcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:17 AM   #2
BDD

Drives: Poor with a nice bicycle.
You'll want to take apart the dashboard and get to the heater core. You're looking for broken hose, a bad clamp, or a cracked core. As far as it being clogged, I'm not sure how things are getting into your coolant. Are you changing the coolant at normal intervals? From what I understand, coolant eventually becomes corrosive and can eat gaskets that might end up in your cooling system (please correct if I'm wrong).

I believe the paper being sucked into the vent is unrelated to your heater core being clogged, but with the dashboard open, you might be able to take the stuck paper out.

It's important that you fix this issue fast or you may overheat and ruin the car. Aside from that, coolant isn't all that great to have leaking into your interior either.
BDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:19 AM   #3
justcrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDD View Post
You'll want to take apart the dashboard and get to the heater core. You're looking for broken hose, a bad clamp, or a cracked core.

I believe the paper being sucked into the vent is unrelated to your heater core being clogged, but with the dashboard open, you might be able to take the stuck paper out.

It's important that you fix this issue fast or you may overheat and ruin the car. Aside from that, coolant isn't all that great to have leaking into your interior either.
Ok, no idea how to take the dash apart. Any links I can look at? I am pretty good about following instructions. :)
Old 06-16-2009, 10:31 AM   #4
justcrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDD View Post
You'll want to take apart the dashboard and get to the heater core. You're looking for broken hose, a bad clamp, or a cracked core. As far as it being clogged, I'm not sure how things are getting into your coolant. Are you changing the coolant at normal intervals? From what I understand, coolant eventually becomes corrosive and can eat gaskets that might end up in your cooling system (please correct if I'm wrong).

Is it possible where I need to be is under the car?
Old 06-16-2009, 10:53 AM   #5
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
There is a drain for your air conditioner coils-as the warm air passes over these super cold coils moisture forms-just like on the outside of a glass with a cold drink in it. The moisture forms enough to drip into a box and should go out a small tube to exit the car. But, if this tube has debris in it, i.e., leaves, paper,or whatever, the water is trapped and starts to grow moldy. I do not know where this tube is located to check-it is usually traceable from under the dash. At most you should only have to take the glove box out just like you were going to change the filter. But if you're not sure the dealer should fix this under warranty. Because, stuff should not get in there to clog it and if it is they need to find out why. Check your intake at the base of the windshield on the outside where the slots are-there should be a screen in it to protect from large stuff getting in there and if you have a filter in your ventilation make sure it's not falling apart-that's the only reason I can think you'd find paper in there. good luck.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:10 AM   #6
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTVitz View Post
There is a drain for your air conditioner coils-as the warm air passes over these super cold coils moisture forms-just like on the outside of a glass with a cold drink in it. The moisture forms enough to drip into a box and should go out a small tube to exit the car. But, if this tube has debris in it, i.e., leaves, paper,or whatever, the water is trapped and starts to grow moldy. I do not know where this tube is located to check-it is usually traceable from under the dash. At most you should only have to take the glove box out just like you were going to change the filter. But if you're not sure the dealer should fix this under warranty. Because, stuff should not get in there to clog it and if it is they need to find out why. Check your intake at the base of the windshield on the outside where the slots are-there should be a screen in it to protect from large stuff getting in there and if you have a filter in your ventilation make sure it's not falling apart-that's the only reason I can think you'd find paper in there. good luck.
Thats your exact problem. The pipe either is clogged or got disconected and water is now leaking to the vehicle isntead of out the vehicle.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:39 AM   #7
justcrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
Thats your exact problem. The pipe either is clogged or got disconected and water is now leaking to the vehicle isntead of out the vehicle.
So you guys are saying I can fix this myself? It's behind the glove box? How do I remove the glove box?
Old 06-16-2009, 01:55 PM   #8
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
i am 99% sure that it is just: 1) open glove box 2) gently squeeze at rear of top of glove box 3) gently pull glove box out 4) then you will be looking at your cabin air filter location and if i remember right, your cooler box 4) make sure that there is nothing large sitting at the bottom of the cooler box 4) make sure that the drain hose is going through the appropriate hole in the firewall behind the cooler box... i think that should cover it, sorry that i do not have pictures...

i like this smiley...
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:55 PM   #9
justcrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_echo View Post
i am 99% sure that it is just: 1) open glove box 2) gently squeeze at rear of top of glove box 3) gently pull glove box out 4) then you will be looking at your cabin air filter location and if i remember right, your cooler box 4) make sure that there is nothing large sitting at the bottom of the cooler box 4) make sure that the drain hose is going through the appropriate hole in the firewall behind the cooler box... i think that should cover it, sorry that i do not have pictures...
Hey, that gives me something to work with, I'll give it a shot. :)
Old 06-16-2009, 03:16 PM   #10
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcrash View Post
Hey, that gives me something to work with, I'll give it a shot. :)
I don't think it's behind the glove box. It is in the middle of the dash behind the heater, A/C knobs.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:26 PM   #11
justcrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris-me View Post
I don't think it's behind the glove box. It is in the middle of the dash behind the heater, A/C knobs.
Tore it all apart (the glove box) all I found was the hose that the air drains out of and water did pour out of it. How do I get that part of the dash off?
Old 06-16-2009, 05:30 PM   #12
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
dont think you need to. Youve found the drain tube. Need to stop leak.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:06 PM   #13
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris-me View Post
dont think you need to. Youve found the drain tube. Need to stop leak.
NO! that needs to drain through the floorpan and pour to the pavement...

i like this smiley...
Old 06-16-2009, 07:12 PM   #14
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
maybe that hose got cracks on it..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:40 PM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The hose is probably partially blocked, causing water to backup in the condensate pan. Find the output of the hose under the car and stick a semi-rigid plastic item up it (long tie-wrap for example).
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:39 AM   #16
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The hose is probably partially blocked, causing water to backup in the condensate pan. Find the output of the hose under the car and stick a semi-rigid plastic item up it (long tie-wrap for example).
good idea... try that... but do NOT force it in there... if it will not free up with GENTLE pressure, try another method...

i like this smiley...
Old 07-12-2009, 06:53 PM   #17
nisyota

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
no fixes on this? Ive cleaned out my hose twice this year. im thinking of getting a new hose from homedepot...

its an easy job to unclog the hose, but its annoying that i have to do this....
nisyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:21 AM   #18
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nisyota View Post
no fixes on this? Ive cleaned out my hose twice this year. im thinking of getting a new hose from homedepot...

its an easy job to unclog the hose, but its annoying that i have to do this....
After looking at the AC section of the service manual, I am mighty glad that I put the filter in within the first week that I bought the car.

If you look at the picture below, without the filter in place, anything that enters the outside intake has a direct path into the air box. With the filter there, you will prevent particulate from getting into the box, where it then plugs the drain and provides a breeding ground for molds. Even if you haven't had the drain fully plugged, the stuff that enters without the filter will stick to the walls of the box. So, if you've run without the filter for any period of time, before adding the filter it would make sense to disinfect the airbox as well as you can with something like Ozium or Lysol.

AC Box.jpg
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote