Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-13-2015, 10:22 PM   #37
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flammable View Post
Why in the world would city officials stop someone from shoveling out their driveways??? That's insane lol
I wasn't referring to people shoveling their own driveways, but to shoveling other people's driveways to make money, as Bronsin wrote on this thread that he did as a kid. I was thinking somewhat about a recent incident, but more so about one that happened within the last few years re the Stop and Frisk policy in NYC. I just did the search 'new york city people making extra money shoveling driveways stopped by city' search on the DuckDuckGo.com search engine. Eight of the hits that came up were about the recent incident a few weeks ago. Sorry, it was in the NYC area/metro, not NYC. Happened in Bound Brook, NJ (2013 population estimate under 11,000)...about 19 miles outside the city limits of NYC. Two 18 year old guys passed out flyers in their own neighborhood re shoveling snow. A neighbor called the cops on them, and the cops stopped the teens. They needed a permit...which costs $450.00 for a 180 day period . During this same time frame/snowstorm, another snow shoveling incident occurred in a suburb of Philadelphia....Lower Merion Township. What should have been the only issue there = the age of the young men. Lower Merion allows kids to solicit door to door, but not adults. One of the two men questioned was 34 and the other was 18. They had been hired by the woman whose snow they were shoveling. Unfortunately, this didn't end up being the only issue in the media....the two men questioned are Black, and affluent Lower Merion is over 85% White and under 6% Black. One of the hits on my search related to NYC Stop and Frisk....the Stop and Frisk - Tumblr hit.... but, once I clicked on it and scrolled, I couldn't find the passage that was part of header on the DuckDuckGo.com hit.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:45 PM   #38
Jcp123

Drives: '00 Echo
What the hell is wrong with this country?!

I could promote my own party of choice, but instead, how about we just vote anti-incumbent next go-around?

Token on-topic comment: I have been seeing more Mirages lately. I heard wholesale prices on them are tumbling but I am not seeing used models hitting the market yet. I had planned on replacing the Echo with a used Corolla or Camry with stick, but for the price and warrantee, I wouldn't mind a lightly used Mirage with stick. Low gas prices FTMFW!
Old 03-13-2015, 11:21 PM   #39
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcp123 View Post

I could promote my own party of choice, but instead, how about we just vote anti-incumbent next go-around?

Token on-topic comment: I have been seeing more Mirages lately. I heard wholesale prices on them are tumbling but I am not seeing used models hitting the market yet. I had planned on replacing the Echo with a used Corolla or Camry with stick, but for the price and warrantee, I wouldn't mind a lightly used Mirage with stick. Low gas prices FTMFW!
When the new Mirage first came out, I went to a nearby dealer to look at one. Looked under the hood, open and shut the doors quite a few times....same with the Hatch. I propped open the hood and ran the engine a bit. My gut instinct is that it won't hold together well. IIRC, that longer than average warranty isn't bumper-to-bumper.

There are two significant issues some see re an anti incumbent political movement:

1. A fair number of people think that 'All the bums need to be thrown out...except the one who represents me....he's okay'. The problem with this is that if everyone feels that way, then few incumbents lose.

2. The big money people behind many political campaigns will just support another candidate who is similar to/will 'deliver' as the incumbent did.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:49 AM   #40
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:

I checked out the Mirage too, intrigued by the 1.2 liter engine. (smaller is better!) However, the quality of construction struck me as inferior to the Yaris or Fit. That's not to say it wont necessarily hold up over time, but its not encouraging.

When the scumbag lowlife salesman saw me giving the Mirage a thorough going over, he came over to talk and I saying I was just looking didn't make him go away. He proceeded to put forth that Toyota has serious quality problems and the Mitsubishi cars all run for years without problems.

THAT sent me away resolved NEVER to consider a Mirage!
Old 03-14-2015, 08:51 AM   #41
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
When the scumbag lowlife salesman saw me giving the Mirage a thorough going over, he came over to talk and I saying I was just looking didn't make him go away. He proceeded to put forth that Toyota has serious quality problems and the Mitsubishi cars all run for years without problems.
Same thing happened when I went to look at the new Mirage. Part of their training .
Old 03-14-2015, 08:16 PM   #42
Flammable

Drives: 2012 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I wasn't referring to people shoveling their own driveways, but to shoveling other people's driveways to make money, as Bronsin wrote on this thread that he did as a kid. I was thinking somewhat about a recent incident, but more so about one that happened within the last few years re the Stop and Frisk policy in NYC. I just did the search 'new york city people making extra money shoveling driveways stopped by city' search on the DuckDuckGo.com search engine. Eight of the hits that came up were about the recent incident a few weeks ago. Sorry, it was in the NYC area/metro, not NYC. Happened in Bound Brook, NJ (2013 population estimate under 11,000)...about 19 miles outside the city limits of NYC. Two 18 year old guys passed out flyers in their own neighborhood re shoveling snow. A neighbor called the cops on them, and the cops stopped the teens. They needed a permit...which costs $450.00 for a 180 day period . During this same time frame/snowstorm, another snow shoveling incident occurred in a suburb of Philadelphia....Lower Merion Township. What should have been the only issue there = the age of the young men. Lower Merion allows kids to solicit door to door, but not adults. One of the two men questioned was 34 and the other was 18. They had been hired by the woman whose snow they were shoveling. Unfortunately, this didn't end up being the only issue in the media....the two men questioned are Black, and affluent Lower Merion is over 85% White and under 6% Black. One of the hits on my search related to NYC Stop and Frisk....the Stop and Frisk - Tumblr hit.... but, once I clicked on it and scrolled, I couldn't find the passage that was part of header on the DuckDuckGo.com hit.
Ahh ok I see it only applies when its for hire. Well even that doesn't make any sense other than the city is levying a huge tax, er I mean permit fee, to shovel snow for hire. Stop and Frisk huh, I didn't know about that one and I bet it is without probable cause as well. Oh well who needs the bill of rights ha.
Flammable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:54 PM   #43
Jcp123

I still think the Mirage is a solid basic car. It doesn't try to be anything it isn't.

Now if only they offered crank windows.

My replacement for the Mustang is going to be manual brakes/steering/trans, no heat or ac, no carpet. If it doesn't help the car go, turn, or stop it doesn't need to be anywhere near what I'm building.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:24 AM   #44
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Two 18 year old guys passed out flyers in their own neighborhood re shoveling snow. A neighbor called the cops on them, and the cops stopped the teens. They needed a permit...which costs $450.00 for a 180 day period . .
Unbelievable!

You wonder why people get guns and shoot other people up. There it is!
Old 03-15-2015, 03:31 PM   #45
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Unbelievable!

You wonder why people get guns and shoot other people up. There it is!
A few years ago, on one of my trips back to California, I got into a fascinating conversation with a woman in the lobby of the place where we both happen to be staying in El Paso, TX. She's an RN, but she had made enough money investing in residential real estate that she had retired from nursing. We were talking about the intrusiveness of government, re both through stated policies and agents of the government. By agents of the government, I mean different types of government employees. She told me she owns (among others), IIRC, seven houses in the same development in Arizona. She found, for reasons unknown to her, that development overwhelmingly attracted (throughout, not just all of her renters) retired law enforcement officers from many different parts of the country. She said it was interesting to learn about how the residents conducted themselves re others within the development. These retired officers knew the HOA rules/CCRs possibly better than the codes/statutes where they served during their careers. She said many of them obviously spent quite a bit of time just watching, and if another resident committed even a small nit picky violation, a complaint would be lodged . She said the number of complaints/residents....former LEOS....ratting on each other....just astronomical.

Bound Brook, NJ. is a lot more ethnically diverse than Lower Marion Township, PA. One of the stories didn't give a description of the person who called the cops on the two 18 year olds, but that story did mention part of the description that neighbor gave of one of the two 18 year olds.....'curly blonde hair and wearing a hoodie'.

BTW, Bound Brook is on the Raritan River and the downtown suffered significant flood damage from HURRICANE Floyd in 1999, and again some damage during HURRICANE Irene in 2011 .

Last edited by nookandcrannycar; 03-15-2015 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Added (forgot to include) El Paso, TX at the end of the first sentence
Old 03-15-2015, 03:33 PM   #46
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Now if only they offered crank windows.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:06 PM   #47
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Ahh ok I see it only applies when its for hire. Well even that doesn't make any sense other than the city is levying a huge tax, er I mean permit fee, to shovel snow for hire. Stop and Frisk huh, I didn't know about that one and I bet it is without probable cause as well. Oh well who needs the bill of rights ha.
IMO, the Bill of Rights took a significant partial flush down the toilet with the passage of the Patriot Act, eroding the 4th Amendment. The FISA court has been known to just rubber stamp the government's requests. Not enough protection, IMO, of 4th Amendment rights. Remember the quote from Benjamin Franklin - "Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety".

The Supreme Court's Terry vs. Ohio decision (the 'bedrock' of stop and frisk) was bad enough, but it targeted only a limited number of people. In contrast, the Patriot Act...all of us, not just a limited number of people.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:42 PM   #48
Jcp123

It's been getting flushed since reconstruction. Then there was the income tax, the new deal, the start of big secrecy in the 50s/Cold War, the great society...do I need to keep going?

Government builds on itself.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:49 PM   #49
Flammable

Quote:
IMO, the Bill of Rights took a significant partial flush down the toilet with the passage of the Patriot Act, eroding the 4th Amendment. The FISA court has been known to just rubber stamp the government's requests. Not enough protection, IMO, of 4th Amendment rights. Remember the quote from Benjamin Franklin - "Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety".

The Supreme Court's Terry vs. Ohio decision (the 'bedrock' of stop and frisk) was bad enough, but it targeted only a limited number of people. In contrast, the Patriot Act...all of us, not just a limited number of people.
Totally agree with everything you said which is also why me and many others think 911 was a false flag. The govt creates a crisis and everyone is fine with losing rights to combat an "enemy".
Old 03-17-2015, 09:51 PM   #50
Flammable

Quote:
It's been getting flushed since reconstruction. Then there was the income tax, the new deal, the start of big secrecy in the 50s/Cold War, the great society...do I need to keep going?

It actually goes back farther than that. There have been plans for a one world govt for centuries. It's bible prophesy coming true.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:11 PM   #51
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Totally agree with everything you said which is also why me and many others think 911 was a false flag. The govt creates a crisis and everyone is fine with losing rights to combat an "enemy".
In 2006 I went to Times Square in NYC to get a shirt at the Hard Rock Cafe. This was the first time I had been to Times Square since 9/11. I found the presence of the police station there (right on the 'square') overwhelming, and a sad commentary on a post 9/11 world. I went to Times Square again a few months ago. The plethora of electronic billboards now takes some of the 'edge' off of having the police station there (unlike Piazza Navona in Rome....which billboards have ruined, IMO).

When the planes hit the towers, I must admit my first thought was.....who did GWB arrange to pay off to do this.....a manufactured crisis that could possibly make him look more presidential. Flammable, if you get the chance, I would recommend going to the 9/11 Memorial & Museum in lower Manhattan. The museum includes (in a self contained area) a vivid timeline, including incredible detail and background information. I had to rush that part of my visit (re the closing time), but I still realized re that painstaking level of documentation...standing up to the rude gaze of public scrutiny every day the museum is open...that any lingering bit of nagging doubt I had about the tragedy pretty much evaporated....it happened as presented there. I'm taking another trip to New York later this year, and whatever time I spend at the museum will be at that exhibit.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:24 PM   #52
nookandcrannycar

Quote:

Yep.

And throw the Federal Reserve Bank into that mix (privately owned by commercial banks...but re control, that is largely symbolic due to regulation).
Old 03-19-2015, 03:34 PM   #53
Flammable

Quote:
In 2006 I went to Times Square in NYC to get a shirt at the Hard Rock Cafe. This was the first time I had been to Times Square since 9/11. I found the presence of the police station there (right on the 'square') overwhelming, and a sad commentary on a post 9/11 world. I went to Times Square again a few months ago. The plethora of electronic billboards now takes some of the 'edge' off of having the police station there (unlike Piazza Navona in Rome....which billboards have ruined, IMO).

When the planes hit the towers, I must admit my first thought was.....who did GWB arrange to pay off to do this.....a manufactured crisis that could possibly make him look more presidential. Flammable, if you get the chance, I would recommend going to the 9/11 Memorial & Museum in lower Manhattan. The museum includes (in a self contained area) a vivid timeline, including incredible detail and background information. I had to rush that part of my visit (re the closing time), but I still realized re that painstaking level of documentation...standing up to the rude gaze of public scrutiny every day the museum is open...that any lingering bit of nagging doubt I had about the tragedy pretty much evaporated....it happened as presented there. I'm taking another trip to New York later this year, and whatever time I spend at the museum will be at that exhibit.
i don't know if or when I will ever make it to NYC but thanks for the tip and if I ever do make it there will be sure to check that 9/11 museum out. By the way how do they say 9/11 happened?
Old 03-19-2015, 03:48 PM   #54
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
i don't know if or when I will ever make it to NYC but thanks for the tip and if I ever do make it there will be sure to check that 9/11 museum out. By the way how do they say 9/11 happened?
The terrorists were responsible....not the U.S. government or someone GWB arranged to pay. It wasn't an inside job. After I look at that exhibit in more detail later this year (unfortunately it is one part of the museum where they don't allow pictures), at some point in the future I plan to read the 9/11 Commisiion Report (available online?....I know it was once available in bookstores) in detail. I have a feeling they will dovetail each other.