Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-13-2015, 07:53 PM   #1
Liloolil

Drives: Toyota Yaris Verso 1.3l 2003
Error code P1349

Hi.

I am wondering if someone know common problems with a Yaris Verso 1.3L 2003 that has a orange check engine light because error code P1349?

I have recently got this error code on my car, together with one random misfire maybe once an hour. The engine light also disappears and appears randomly.

I have read that the error code means that there could be something wrong with the Valve Timing, OCV(Oil Control Valve), Variable Valve Timing controller assembly, or the ECM(Engine Control Module).

I have replaced the engine oil and oil-filter yearly, and I have never had problems with dirty oil. I am regulary checking the oil level, and have never had the level below minimum. I have also checked the OCV, and it is not covered in dirty oil.

So I am wondering if someone has been experiencing this error before, and know how to fix it? I have some experience with fixing cars, but something like taking apart the engine is too much for me.

Other information:
Model: Yaris Verso VVT-i
Year: 2003
Engine: 2NZ-FE 1.3L
Manual 5 gears
220 000km (136 700miles)

~Liloolil
Liloolil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:14 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Hello,

The OCV has a filter mounted into the engine block, directly below it. Check that. If the OCV is fine, then on European Yaris the problem is typically the VVT controller, which is the gear assembly on the camshaft that the valve drives.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:49 PM   #3
Liloolil

Thank you.
I tried to check the filter, but the bolt in front of the filter is stuck. I am going to try some stronger tools.

If it is the VVT-controller that is the problem, will it cause any damage to the engine, except the random misfire? I use the car every day, and I don't have an opportunity to deliver the car to a repair shop this week.

Again, thank you for your help.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:35 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liloolil View Post
Thank you.
I tried to check the filter, but the bolt in front of the filter is stuck. I am going to try some stronger tools.

If it is the VVT-controller that is the problem, will it cause any damage to the engine, except the random misfire? I use the car every day, and I don't have an opportunity to deliver the car to a repair shop this week.

Again, thank you for your help.
You would experience a bit of a loss of power and fuel economy with the VVTI not functioning correctly, but no damage would result.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:42 PM   #5
Liloolil

Okay. Thank you very much for the help.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:02 PM   #6
LittleM@n

Drives: Yaris
Where is the OCV filter located exactly? Is there any picture/diagram available? Mine is a 1NZ-FE, and I believe is similar to the 2NZ.

Same error code pop-up once last night, although I get very poor mileage (about 21mpg), and I get a big loss of power after revving over 3000rpm (you can just feel it the pedal and the whole car as the engine just stops to rev as fast). The engine just struggles to get up speed.

Thanks!
LittleM@n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:17 PM   #7
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
The filter is located directly below the OCV. It is a circle plug with a hex fitting in the middle to loosen/tighten it, I can't remember the size of it off hand.

I checked my 02' Echo after 350,000km and it was very clean. Your issue it likely the OCV itself. If you recently had. Your serpentine belt replace then it was likely damaged upon retensioning the belt.
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:34 PM   #8
LittleM@n

I've just had a major engine rebuild: new pistons and rods, new water pump, and new oil pump, new vvt-i controller, rebuilded head, new gaskets everywhere, new plugs, and whatever engine bits that could be changed, beside the sensors, injectors, and auxiliaries.

I used break-in oil for the first 250km, and after another 700km I realised I went through 4 gas tanks in 1000km, and without any sign that the mileage or the loss of power would improve.

The VVT-i seems that is working, as I went through a full 0-100km/h and monitor the values with an OBD reader, and the timing angle value changed, and it was according to the manual (small values at idle and open throttle, and high values (25-40 degrees) in light load and small throttle opening).

This error is the only one ever that came up after the engine rebuild.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:22 PM   #9
tmontague

Check your timing, i'm assuming whoever rebuilt the engine double checked it but it's worth a shot.

Keep in mind the serpentine belt is one of the last things to be completed when putting the 1NZ back together. Your OCV could be brand new but if the OCV was unknowingly used as leverage to tension the belt then that is the likely culprit.

They are sensitive as many on this forum have found out the hard way.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:42 PM   #10
LittleM@n

By serpentine belt, you mean the timing chain?
Old 06-10-2015, 07:00 PM   #11
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Error code P1349

Serpentine is the rubber belt visible on the side of the engine. It uses the crank to drive the alt, a/c, and water pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2015, 09:55 PM   #12
tmontague

^ what he said.

Someone on here may know a way to test the OCV for damage. So you don't waste money trying out anew one (they're not cheap).

I snapped mine of when it was seized when removing my head. And the only way to get out the stuck piece was w/ an air chisel hammering it out. The new one ran me about $170 CAD
Old 06-10-2015, 10:22 PM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
^ what he said.

Someone on here may know a way to test the OCV for damage. So you don't waste money trying out anew one (they're not cheap).

I snapped mine of when it was seized when removing my head. And the only way to get out the stuck piece was w/ an air chisel hammering it out. The new one ran me about $170 CAD
Just remove the 10 mm mounting bolt and pull it out of the block. They are a simple solenoid valve, so it will either all be intact or some portion will fall apart in your hands if it is damaged.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:02 AM   #14
LittleM@n

Error code P1349

Pull it apart today. Should it look like this?
I mean, one part remained in the block, with some spring of sorts that seems to work, and the piece that seems that it's not broken...or is it, and I should have pull them out together?
It was quite stuck, so I had to pull things apart to be able to pull it out.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434290484.701612.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434290505.213681.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434290516.148453.jpg
Old 06-14-2015, 10:06 AM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Yikes! That is snapped in half. You will need to pull the rest out of the block.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:28 AM   #16
LittleM@n

Error code P1349

Looked through the pictures from the engine dismantling, and at that time it was in one piece.
Maybe I have broken it now, as I tried to take it out.

There wasn't suppose to be any sealant on it's face, is it?

For the moment I just put it back, and it seems to work. No CEL, and engine sounds normal.
I'll go for a spin later and see if the cam values still change, although it's maybe a wrongful reading.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:37 AM   #17
tmontague

Yup you snapped it in half, exactly what i had to do as mine was seized in there bad. The best/easiest way to remove the stuck piece it to remove the valve cover and take an air hammer with a chisel on it. Use the air chisel to push it out from the inside, it will pop out easy. I had my cam shafts removed since I was removing the head, but you may be able to access the inner part of the OCV with the in take camshaft still installed.

I'm surprised the OCV isn't throwing a code after you installed it with it broken.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:08 AM   #18
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Yup you snapped it in half, exactly what i had to do as mine was seized in there bad. The best/easiest way to remove the stuck piece it to remove the valve cover and take an air hammer with a chisel on it. Use the air chisel to push it out from the inside, it will pop out easy. I had my cam shafts removed since I was removing the head, but you may be able to access the inner part of the OCV with the in take camshaft still installed.

I'm surprised the OCV isn't throwing a code after you installed it with it broken.
It looks like there is enough of it sticking out to get a set of vice-grips on it.

It will definitely start throwing codes once he starts driving and the ECM tries to advance the cam.

Tags
1nz-fe, 2003, 2nz-fe, p1349, poor mileage, verso, yaris