Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-03-2018, 08:42 AM   #1
Pinchlite

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
Front rattle mechanic says all is good.

The only thing he mentioned is the front sway bar.He said there is something under the frame that could be worn out?

I have read the thread about the LCA bolts and mentioned that to the mechanic and he aid they were fine.The car rattle both sides going over bumps,not smooth bumps though,more like washboard kinda stuff.
Pinchlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 03:33 PM   #2
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
open the drivers door and push sideways on the roof hard as if you are trying to roll the vehicle over. It should clunk or click everytime the vehicle rocks side to side. If you have someone else do it, you can look/reach under the car and look/feel for play in the links, or bushings.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:14 PM   #3
Pinchlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryM View Post
open the drivers door and push sideways on the roof hard as if you are trying to roll the vehicle over. It should clunk or click everytime the vehicle rocks side to side. If you have someone else do it, you can look/reach under the car and look/feel for play in the links, or bushings.
The car is too low to look reach under adequately,nevermind when its rocking about.

I will be getting second opinion but was just hoping some common issue that is yaris specific would be causing noise.Something that a mechanic could possibly look over.

I will be checking the end links again just to be sure but cant see both of them going bad after one year.The thing is the noise is not specific to one side of the car.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:29 AM   #4
zaco2356

Drives: yaris sedan
have you solve the problem, my yaris sedan 2007 have a similar rattle noise over small bumps, i have change everything, inner tie rod, outer tie rod, links, swaybar bushing, front strut, top mount bearing of front strut, i have changed twice, firts time cheap brand, second time with good brands like moog, i still have the cheap strut i mount the firts time i dont know if those going bad beacause of the brand they are, still looking for that rattleing noise thats making me crazy
zaco2356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:47 PM   #5
Pinchlite

Rattle solved.

It was the front right brakes somehow.Someone said brake pad rattling??

It definitly sounded more then that.Anyhow the front needed brake pads anyway so after changing no more rattle.

The caliper guide pins were changed too.

Last edited by Pinchlite; 08-25-2018 at 05:25 AM.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:33 PM   #6
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Worn caliper pins caused that on both of my Yaris's. After extensive investigating, checking every conceivable part, I found the calipers were jiggling a tiny bit due to loose pins. Two shops misdiagnosed the issue before I found the problem.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 05:22 AM   #7
Pinchlite

I changed pins while I was at it.I should have mentioned.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:14 AM   #8
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchlite View Post
I changed pins while I was at it.I should have mentioned.
Good move replacing the pins. Since I replaced them on both of my Yaris's, I'm making removal and lubrication of the caliper pins part of my annual maintenance. In both cases, the pins had narrowed at the base due to corrosion, which I believe resulted in the play necessary to cause the ratting. I think it's amplified through the suspension, making it sound like something more serious.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 08-25-2018, 08:54 AM   #9
Pinchlite

My top pins were rusted on the top part underneath the boots.I did not notice wear though compared to the new.I replaced boots and sprayed lots of brake cleaner into slider pin tubes and cleaned out with screw driver and rags.Rotors were changed aswell.I was going to do the piston repair kit but decided not to.Brakes feel much better know.

(I think it's amplified through the suspension)

For sure because it sounded like something larger,or suspension/steering related.
Old 08-25-2018, 12:00 PM   #10
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
brake caliper pins sliders boots rubber bearings

caliper slider pins on my Tercel and Corolla would rust and jam tight...not impressed w/ rubber bearing/boots at each pin end

(never noticed any pin or bearing/boot wear...if anything the bearing/boots swelled w/ lube and age. corrosion blotches on the crome plated pins. hoping this Yaris isn't same parts.)
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 12:23 PM   #11
06YarisRS

Quote:
My top pins were rusted on the top part underneath the boots.I did not notice wear though compared to the new.I replaced boots and sprayed lots of brake cleaner into slider pin tubes and cleaned out with screw driver and rags.Rotors were changed aswell.I was going to do the piston repair kit but decided not to.Brakes feel much better know.

(I think it's amplified through the suspension)

For sure because it sounded like something larger,or suspension/steering related.
Did you manage to get the little rubber rings on the caliper pin inserted past the new boot? Despite trying to really seat the boots into the caliper bracket, I couldn't get the pin with the rubber ring back in without tearing the rubber ring. Open to any suggestions as to how to get those rings in without tearing them.

Old 08-25-2018, 01:24 PM   #12
Pinchlite

Those o rings were easy to put onto pin and insert into caliper.Not sure if I understand?

The rubber boot had nothing to do with O rings.
Old 08-25-2018, 04:17 PM   #13
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I just go sans o ring as it always jammed up when i woukd inspect my sliders which I do every month due to track sessions.

Wire wheel off any rust or replace completely if they at pitted and use a good quality rubber safe high temp grease. Checking the sliders every 6 months is what I found was best as they seems to become contaminated fast on the yaris
Old 08-25-2018, 04:36 PM   #14
06YarisRS

Quote:
Those o rings were easy to put onto pin and insert into caliper.Not sure if I understand?

The rubber boot had nothing to do with O rings.
Yes, it's easy to put the rings on the pin, but I couldn't get the pin to slide in through the new boots once installed them onto the bracket. It's as if the boot lip wouldn't fit fully into the channel in the caliper bracket therefore not creating a completely round hole through which to push the pin.

Old 08-25-2018, 04:39 PM   #15
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
I just go sans o ring as it always jammed up when i woukd inspect my sliders which I do every month due to track sessions.

Wire wheel off any rust or replace completely if they at pitted and use a good quality rubber safe high temp grease. Checking the sliders every 6 months is what I found was best as they seems to become contaminated fast on the yaris
Next time I clean the pins, I'll try again with the little rings. If it gives me any grief, in they'll go without the little rubber ringies.

Old 08-25-2018, 06:44 PM   #16
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
The rubber rings swell and, at a certain point, will not go in. Time to remove or replace them. Can buy boot kits with the rings for fairly cheap. Pins need to move freely, so make sure they stay lubed. Stuck pins will wear your pads out quickly.

FYI, generally worn pins/pads are from driving with rotors with high runout. Caliper/pads slide back and forth rapidly anytime you brake.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:40 PM   #17
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryM View Post
The rubber rings swell and, at a certain point, will not go in. Time to remove or replace them. Can buy boot kits with the rings for fairly cheap. Pins need to move freely, so make sure they stay lubed. Stuck pins will wear your pads out quickly.

FYI, generally worn pins/pads are from driving with rotors with high runout. Caliper/pads slide back and forth rapidly anytime you brake.
Yes, I was referring to new ones. I bought a boot kit and new caliper pins from Carquest locally. The new pins would not go in without destroying the rings. And the old rings that came out were basically disintegrated. I worked long and hard at seating the new boots into the channel in the caliper bracket and lubed the rings well. Still no joy. The only way I could get the pins to go in was to tap them with a hammer. I'm thinking that despite my efforts, I couldn't get the boots installed properly in the bracket and the hole simply wasn't large enough to accommodate the pin and ring.

Old 08-25-2018, 07:59 PM   #18
Pinchlite

The only way I could get the pins to go in was to tap them with a hammer.

Are they proper pins?

Mine with new O rings slid in easily.