Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-27-2006, 05:31 PM   #1
Driver

Drives: 07 Yaris silver manual sedan
Thumbs up Fuel consumption US Yaris vs. Canadian Yaris

While waiting for my Yaris to arrive from wherever it's being made, I've been looking at The Toyota sites in other countries. I notice that in the US the ads say the Yaris gets 34 Mpg city and 40 Mpg highway, and in Canada it's 41 Mpg city and 51 Mpg highway. Many folks say that they mean KMPG. I don't think so because I'm sure a Canadian site would know better. I also know there's a big difference in the pollution controls required between the countries ours being much more stringent. So What kind of mileage are the folks in Canada getting in Mpg's?
Old 10-27-2006, 10:16 PM   #2
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver
While waiting for my Yaris to arrive from wherever it's being made, I've been looking at The Toyota sites in other countries. I notice that in the US the ads say the Yaris gets 34 Mpg city and 40 Mpg highway, and in Canada it's 41 Mpg city and 51 Mpg highway. Many folks say that they mean KMPG. I don't think so because I'm sure a Canadian site would know better. I also know there's a big difference in the pollution controls required between the countries ours being much more stringent. So What kind of mileage are the folks in Canada getting in Mpg's?

For Canada that's imperial gallons, I don't know the conversions but yeah I know some people are confused and are like wow those Canadians get 50mpg! No, its rated at the same as the U.S. spec, since we both have the 1.5ltr engine, just imperial gallons for Canada. I'm sure a follow Canadian can explain better, Eh?
Old 10-27-2006, 10:41 PM   #3
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
1 Imperial gallon (used in Canada and some other places) is approximately equal to 1.2 US gallons (used in the US and some other places). That basically explains the difference in the fuel economy numbers quoted.
As for emmission control, as far as I know, different states have different requirements. California has one of the most stringent sets of rules.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 10:46 PM   #4
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
LOL let's all move to canada and save on fuel!!! I KNEW there had to be a use for that country!

Just kidding... I <3 Canada, some of my best friends are from there

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 11:29 PM   #5
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
I wonder how long it will be befor the US jumps on the metric system and joing the rest of the world.

Last year I had some po dunk state trooper pull me over in Tonawanda while I was driving my truck. He tapped on my window with his gun drawn, I rolled it down and he asked me to keep my hands where he could see them. He asked me if i knew how fast I was going. I told him 88 to 90 kilometers per hour
That's when he got the stupidest look on his face. He stood there for the longest time staring at me like he just caught me with his daughter. Finally he said well the speed limit in this area is only 55.
I said I know...
His reply was... "then what are you doing going 90 kill-o-meters per hours".
My wife and I kind of checkled to ourselves and that pissed him off.
He started yelling at me and demeanding to know what I though was so F ing funny.
All I said is
I hope your recording all this on you dash board camera.

The emmission standards for the most part are the same for Canada and most of the USA, California being the exception.
Basically the US sets the standards for what Canada uses to test and regulate emmissions.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:14 AM   #6
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
hahahah good story..

Yeah for such a modern, multi-racial, dynamic young country, who knows why americans are so set on using such an antiquated measurement system...

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 10-28-2006, 07:32 AM   #7
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
I wonder when the rest of the world will bend to our will on measurements too.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 10:47 AM   #8
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
Are you really that uneducated?
You do know Canada and MANY other countries were standard and went to metric right !

At leat when I was in school we learned about BOTH system standard and metric but with the rest of the world changing to metric system why would consentrate on the standard system. American industry is just a fart in the wind compared to the rest of the metric world.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:27 AM   #9
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

now how many fathoms per barrel is that?

Bye bye 1NZ...