Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-03-2010, 11:39 AM   #1
xenu

Drives: None
Dealers are refusing to install cruise control

I found the exact Yaris I wanted (5 dr HB, auto, power, weather), but the smiley salesman at the very end flaked out on the subject of cruise control.

First he lied, claiming, that such a part is "aftermarket only". Then he said, that particular option is either factory installed, or "at the port", and that Toyota dealers never install it.

I called BS, and he finally admitted "if there is an accident involving speed control we want nothing to do with it".

My belief was always that authorized dealers are required to install any option offered by Toyota corporate.

Has anyone else had a problem finding a dealer that would install cruise control? I have no intention of installing it myself - I am not a mechanic or a hobby tinkerer.

What recourse do I have? Cruise control is a very important option for me. I drive long distances and it is absolutely essential.
xenu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:57 AM   #2
Ryude

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang GT
Dealer's participation may vary, they are not required to perform a service for you unless it's part of your warranty.
Ryude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
There are a few threads on here for cruise control. Some are about the after market kit you can buy which really is a piece of cake to install. Or the other is a bit of a 'hack' where you use the pre-existing cruise functionality and just add some wiring and a couple of buttons yourself.

I know you said you weren't inclined towards installing it yourself, but the kit really is that easy to install or you could save yourself some money and go the pre-existing route.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:21 PM   #4
brg88tx

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan, Auto
i just recently had the dealer install the rostra cruise control on my sedan. but i had to bug them about it. first they said the rostra cruise was discontinued, then they said it was no longer able to be ordered until the whole "unintended acceleration" bs blows over. after calling around i found out the latter IS true, at least here in the houston area. if a dealer does not have the rostra cruise in stock they cannot order one. i called around to the dealerships closest to me and i found one dealership with one in stock. my dealership sent someone down there to pick it up and i bought it ($300 w/tax) and had the dealership install it (another $175 labor)
brg88tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 04:29 PM   #5
Palmer812

Drives: 2010 Meteorite Metallic LB
Why are the dealers selling the Rostra when they can just sell the Toyota stalk? It is alot easier to install and it is factory. If someone does want the Rostra check your local stereo shop. We have it in stock for $150.
Palmer812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 04:39 PM   #6
Ryude

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer812 View Post
Why are the dealers selling the Rostra when they can just sell the Toyota stalk? It is alot easier to install and it is factory. If someone does want the Rostra check your local stereo shop. We have it in stock for $150.
Do all 2010 Yaris have the programming in the ECU to use the stalk, or do only certain packages have it?
Ryude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:33 PM   #7
dingbat

Drives: '10 3D Liftback
I have a base trim '10 3 door hatch. Put cruise in myself after getting the same run around you did from the dealers. $170 in Toyota parts and 20 min. of my time. Works mint as factory because it is factory. There is a thread in the DIY section of this forum that goes through it step by step.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23510
dingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 02:46 AM   #8
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
Factory ECU for cruise began in '08, IIRC. Easiest way to tell is to shine a light at the area beside your speedo at night, you should be able to faintly make out "cruise on", or something like that.

If you have an '07 like me, you're stuck getting the Factory Toyota cruise at your standard hefty dealer-markup.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:41 AM   #9
Thai_Dang

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5-Door LB AT MM
Yes, I got a 5 door HB with power package and cruise control, but I didn't ask for it, it was just there. If you have the choice, just go to a dealer that has your car in stock, or tell this one that you won't buy it unless they get cruise control on that thing for a price point you want. I'm pretty sure that dude was lying straight up to you, because dealers will tell you anything to get you to buy the model on the spot. The Yaris has been out for a long time now, no reason why there shouldn't be a dealer in your area with a 5 door HB w/power & cruise. And if there isn't, tell your dealer that you want one, and wait. No need to rush and make a $14k mistake, but if you ended up buying the car already. There are cruise control kits, with DIY threads in this forum.

You shouldn't have to jump through hoops to get the car you want, they should. Don't get them to order in from another dealer, don't put in a deposit to order it, don't say to yourself "oh it isn't really what I want, but I guess I can deal with it," the only time when you should put any money down is if you can see and touch the car with all the options you want at a price you want. It's a very expensive purchase, and its a mistake to not get exactly what you want.

I almost made that mistake, I was at this one dealer a month ago, and I was like I wanted a silver 5 door LB and they said they had one. So I drove over there, and they didn't, but they had a black one and knocked off 2k from MSRP w/ 0% APR. I almost gave in, but still didn't bite, even after they LIED to me and said after checking their toyota directory, no dealer in the area had the 5 door LB in meteorite metallic with power. They even showed me a computer screen with a bunch of numbers. Luckily I had a sheet of 30 dealers I spent days arguing with who had the car I wanted, so I knew they were lying out of their ass. I politely said thanks, that they didn't have exactly the car I wanted, and walked out. Same day, I drove five miles to a much better dealer. Finished the day driving home with my 5 door LB in meteorite metallic w/power and cruise control at a lower price point than the previous dealer that lied to me.

Lesson I learned: they get training in hustling you to buy cars, don't let your emotions go over your logic, you always have a choice in your purchase, so don't settle for less than exactly what you want.

I'm in CA btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenu View Post
I found the exact Yaris I wanted (5 dr HB, auto, power, weather), but the smiley salesman at the very end flaked out on the subject of cruise control.

First he lied, claiming, that such a part is "aftermarket only". Then he said, that particular option is either factory installed, or "at the port", and that Toyota dealers never install it.

I called BS, and he finally admitted "if there is an accident involving speed control we want nothing to do with it".

My belief was always that authorized dealers are required to install any option offered by Toyota corporate.

Has anyone else had a problem finding a dealer that would install cruise control? I have no intention of installing it myself - I am not a mechanic or a hobby tinkerer.

What recourse do I have? Cruise control is a very important option for me. I drive long distances and it is absolutely essential.
Thai_Dang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:13 AM   #10
Ohgami

Drives: 2010 Bayou Blue 5 Door
Quote:

I had almost the EXACT thing happen to me and my Wife last October when we got our 2010 Yaris. It had all the options we wanted except 2. Fog Lights (she wanted it) and Cruise Control (I wanted it). The Sales man came back and said "We can do that, but the Fog lights will be Aftermarket (I though Oh well I can change them out my self later with Factory ones.) and the Cruise will be OEM. I then said OK we'll take IT! come back to pick up the car after the work was done and it was the OPPOSITE. The Foglights were OEM and the Cruise was Rostra and to top it off, The mounted almost touching the Dash almost out of arm's length and it's hidden by the Airbag preventing me from seeing if it's on. I to got the "it's not available as OEM" and after I showed them in theri OWN literature that it was Availible thwey gave the "well it's only installed at the factory". I kept telling them it was unacceptable. I have been fighting with them off and on about them remounting it and after reading about how easy it is to put the OEM Switch on the Yaris (especially the 09-11 (I just need the freakin Switch and cover!)) How hard is that to do Really? Since they want to not take care of the situation I'll just tell them to take the Control back and I'll do it myself.

Sorry for the rant but the similarities to the OP made me want to let you know that it's happening more than you think.
Ohgami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:23 AM   #11
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:

Call around. Surely there are plenty of other Toyota stealerships anxious to take your cash.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:19 AM   #12
Lorenzo1950

Drives: 2010 5 door Hatchback
I thought cruise control was a standard feature? Is Toyota the only company to nickle and dime people by tacking on extras like undercoating, paint and interior protection? My Honda Civic had everything I could want, ready to go. The paint held up for 12 years.
Lorenzo1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:49 AM   #13
Stove

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5 Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo1950 View Post
I thought cruise control was a standard feature? Is Toyota the only company to nickle and dime people by tacking on extras like undercoating, paint and interior protection? My Honda Civic had everything I could want, ready to go. The paint held up for 12 years.
Yaris v. Civic is apples and oranges. Corolla v. Civic would be a better comparison. The Honda Fit is a better comparison to the Yaris. IMO.

Honda (just like every car maker) nickles and dimes people as well. The Civic DX (Base model) is $2k more than a Yaris Base and Cruise control isn't standard. The LX Base has cruise as a standard feature but it lists for $4k more than a Yaris base.

I like Honda and have owned quite a few. But even the Honda Fit doesn't have Cruise as a standard option until you upgrade to the Fit Sport for $3k more than a Yaris. The base model Fit has a better trip computer than the Yaris though, it has current mpg and average mpg displays (something I do think Toyota should have installed).
Stove is offline   Reply With Quote